Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 21 2013, 02:52 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Ship that's travelled the furthest?

Andres wrote: View Post
i'd say its a tie Voyager and Enterprise, Voyager traveled 75,000 light years back home and the Enterprise traveled to the edge of the Galaxy or almost got there and made it to the Galactic Core in ST V:TFF
Well...

Where No One Has Gone Before wrote:
LAFORGE: Well, sir, according to these calculations, we've not only left our own galaxy, but passed through two others, ending up on the far side of Triangulum. The galaxy known as M Thirty Three.
PICARD: That's not possible. Data, what distance have we travelled?
DATA: Two million seven hundred thousand light years.
PICARD: I can't accept that.
DATA: You must, sir. Our comparisons show it to be completely accurate.
LAFORGE: And I calculate that at maximum warp, sir it would take over three hundred years to get home.
Captain's log, stardate 41263.3. Instead of returning to our own galaxy, the Enterprise has gone forward to a place in the universe which is uncharted and unknown. Our present position puts us at over a billion light years from our galaxy.
Old July 21 2013, 03:03 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

picardo wrote: View Post
Which Starfleet ship has travelled the furthest? Picard's Enterprise to Triangulum and the Outer Rim? ...Or Voyager to the Delta quadrant?
Well in terms of space it's the Ent-D. It travelled to another Galaxy some 2.7 million light years away which makes Voyagers trip of 70 000 look like a walk across the road.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I wonder if the OP took some perverse pleasure by framing the question as which ship went further, rather than which ship went farther. Enterprise-D traveled the greatest distance from Earth. However, temporal and extradimensional travel could be more extreme voyages, even if they lie adjacent to our space.

ETA: A few trips through the Bajoran wormhole would easily eclipse the distance traveled by USS Voyager.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:31 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Andres wrote: View Post
i'd say its a tie Voyager and Enterprise, Voyager traveled 75,000 light years back home and the Enterprise traveled to the edge of the Galaxy or almost got there and made it to the Galactic Core in ST V:TFF
Well...

LAFORGE: Well, sir, according to these calculations, we've not only left our own galaxy, but passed through two others, ending up on the far side of Triangulum. The galaxy known as M Thirty Three.
PICARD: That's not possible. Data, what distance have we travelled?
DATA: Two million seven hundred thousand light years.
PICARD: I can't accept that.
DATA: You must, sir. Our comparisons show it to be completely accurate.
LAFORGE: And I calculate that at maximum warp, sir it would take over three hundred years to get home.
Captain's log, stardate 41263.3. Instead of returning to our own galaxy, the Enterprise has gone forward to a place in the universe which is uncharted and unknown. Our present position puts us at over a billion light years from our galaxy.
Lets do the maths on that, as Geordi said it would take over three hundred years to get home, logically that means less than 400 as the line wasn't almost 400 years it' must be closer to the 300 hundred mark.

So we are talking in the region of 7000-9000 light years per year. Of course the Galaxy had a slower top speed than the Intrepid Class So Voyager's trip home could have taken around 10 years.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; July 21 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old July 21 2013, 03:45 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I just chalk it up to Star Trek writers not being very good at math.
Old July 21 2013, 08:30 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
ETA: A few trips through the Bajoran wormhole would easily eclipse the distance traveled by USS Voyager.
But the whole thing about a wormhole is that the distance through them is shorter than the distance going "around" them.

The impression I received from DS9 is that the distance through the wormhole is relatively short, maybe only a small number of miles.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:38 PM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The impression I received from DS9 is that the distance through the wormhole is relatively short, maybe only a small number of miles.
Define small. It takes a matter of minutes to travel through the wormhole to reach the Gamma Quadrant.

--Sran
Old July 21 2013, 08:42 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well that would be measured in kilometere's not miles. But enough nitpicking.

As you say a wormhole acts as a shortcut between two points, so the actual distance travelled is the length of the wormhole regardless of the actual physical distance.
Old July 21 2013, 08:49 PM   #24
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
But the whole thing about a wormhole is that the distance through them is shorter than the distance going "around" them.

Then shouldn't the journey in "When No One Has Gone Before" be reconsidered? According to the Traveler, it was not just a journey in spatial terms, but also cognitive and temporal dimensions. The physical distance might be much larger than the path taken to reach that point.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

picardo wrote: View Post
Which Starfleet ship has travelled the furthest? Picard's Enterprise to Triangulum and the Outer Rim? ...Or Voyager to the Delta quadrant?
Sran wrote: View Post
In pure light years it would be Picard's Enterprise.
I'd have guessed that except that we don't know where V'Ger came from on its trip back.

--Sran
When did V'Ger become a Starfleet ship? The OP is which STARFLEET ship traveled furthest.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
When did V'Ger become a Starfleet ship? The OP is which STARFLEET ship traveled furthest.
Not the point of my post. I was merely making the observation that V'Ger probably traversed a distance that would put even the Enterprise's exploits to shame.

--Sran
Old July 21 2013, 09:34 PM   #27
publiusr
Commodore

Doomsday Machine was also extragalactic, even though Peter David changed that backstory for Vendetta if memory serves.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:46 AM   #28
Sran
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Doomsday Machine was also extragalactic, even though Peter David changed that backstory for Vendetta if memory serves.
I can't remember if he did or not, though novels aren't cannon.

--Sran
Old July 22 2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

In pure light years it would be Picard's Enterprise.
I would agree with you as well.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

If the novels do count, Titan should get a mention for reaching the Magellanic Clouds (160,000-200,000 LY).
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote