Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

2013 Emmy Nominations Announced

http://tvline.com/2013/07/18/emmy-no...mmys-nominees/

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Mad Men

OUTSTANDING COMEDY
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Girls
Louie
Modern Family
Veep
Biggest shock of all time has to be Emilia Clarke getting nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama, especially over fellow GoT actress Michelle Fairley. I've always considered her the weakest lead actress on Game of Thrones...

Did your favorite shows/actors get nominated? Who do you want to win?

I'll be rooting for GoT as always.

Last edited by Dream; July 18 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:09 PM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: 2013 Emmy Nominations Announced

Tatiana Maslany not being nominated for anything is really disappointing but not surprising. The Emmys are so freaking predictable.
Old July 18 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm also surprised Emilia Clarke was nominated over Michelle Fairley, but at least Peter Dinklage was nominated, again. Alas, still no Charles Dance.

However, I'm thrilled to see the love for House of Cards and Top of the Lake as well as Elisabeth Moss, who is nominated in two different lead actress categories. I really hope she wins one of them.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Meh, haven't thought the Emmy nominations have had it together in years. They need to really break up the Outstanding Drama/Comedy/Actor/Actress categories into Broadcast/Basic Cable & Premium Channels/Netflix.

So many great shows and performers never get the respect they deserve because the Emmys are waaaaaaay behind the modern times.

People always ask me, why I don't watch it anymore. If I don't care who wins because I don't care about the nominees, why waste the time?

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #5
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Should they have 2 Emmy shows? I understand the need to break up cable/broadcast, but if you do that, wouldn't the show be like 5 hours long? I know they have the Daytime Emmy Awards so maby they might need to add another one for Cable/Netflix. I actually do understand the Netflix critique that it's not really considered "Primetime". TV is going through a golden age of good shows and high quality (Better than movies I think) but with so much out there to choose from, it makes an awards show like the Emmys feel out of date.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; July 18 2013 at 05:09 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Alas, still no Charles Dance.
He wasn't submitted for consideration. The cast members submitted for Emmy consideration for the third season were:

Supporting Actor: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Sibel Kekilli
Guest Performer: Ciarán Hinds, Diana Rigg

I'm not sure if it's purely up to HBO and the producers to choose who gets submitted, or if the cast members have input in the matter. The inclusion of Kekilli (the weakest cast member in my opinion) over Maisie Williams is a headscratcher.

I'm glad to see Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg join Peter Dinklage in the acting noms.
Old July 18 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
He wasn't submitted for consideration. The cast members submitted for Emmy consideration for the third season were:

Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Sibel Kekilli

I'm not sure if it's purely up to HBO and the producers to choose who gets submitted, or if the cast members have input in the matter. The inclusion of Kekilli (the weakest cast member in my opinion) over Maisie Williams is a headscratcher.

I'm glad to see Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg join Peter Dinklage in the acting noms.
I heard Natalie Dormer and Sibel Kekilli both submitted themselves, both paying the fees involved with the process.

HBO probably considers Maisie Williams too young to have a real chance at being nominated, so they don't make the effort to push her.

Charles Dance doesn't seem to care about whether he is nominated or not.
Old July 18 2013, 05:05 PM   #8
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Should they have 2 Emmy shows? I understand the need to break up cable/broadcast, but if you do that, wouldn't the show be like 5 hours long? I know they have the Daytime Emmy Awards so many they might need to add another one for Cable/Netflix. I actually do understand the Netflix critique has that's not really considered "Primetime". TV is going through a golden age of good shows and high quality (Better than movies I think) but with so much out there to choose from, it makes an awards show like the Emmys feel out of date.
They could break it up into two shows. It would be interesting to see which gets better ratings/better hosts.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post

I agree including Sibel Kekilli over Maisie Williams is a head scratcher, but I'm still disappointed about Charles Dance. I guess Dream is right that he doesn't care.

Still, I agree it's good to see other actors from Game of Thrones being nominated and I wouldn't be surprised if Diana Rigg wins.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:24 PM   #10
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Kekilli and Dormer submitted themselves. HBO just submitted Clarke, Fairley, and Headey.

Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner are both terrific on the show, and better than Clarke, but they're too young to be seriously considered.

It's hardly surprising that Fairley wasn't nominated. Diana Rigg had much more screentime than her, and she was submitting for guest actress.

The biggest story of these nominees, coupled with last year, is broadcast TV drama being on life support. Among the "Big 7" drama categories, broadcast shows managed only 3 of 41 nominations (Kerry Washington, Connie Britton, and Christine Baranski). Last year was the first year that there were no broadcast nominees for Best Drama, but this year makes it two in a row, and they were also shut out of Best Writing, Best Directing, Best Lead Actor, and Best Supporting Actor.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:30 PM   #11
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

^This is why I think they have to split the Emmy Awards and maybe have 2 shows. Broadcast just don't have the freedoms as cable does, so that's why they're being blown away. It's a shame too because there are still some good broadcast shows out there. I mean if shows like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec were on in the early 90s, they might blow away the competition, except for maybe Seinfeld, Friends, and Frasier.

I do think it comes down to if you're not allowed to swear on TV, than your show is inferior to shows that have that freedom. Best example of this is Girls being nominated for best comedy. How the hell is that show a comedy or even good? There are many comedies (New Girl, Parks and Rec, etc) that are much more deserving, but because Girls is on HBO, it has an advantage.
Old July 18 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Dream
Admiral

"WHERE ARE MY EMMYS?!!!!"

Old July 18 2013, 08:19 PM   #13
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

^This is why I think they have to split the Emmy Awards and maybe have 2 shows. Broadcast just don't have the freedoms as cable does, so that's why they're being blown away. It's a shame too because there are still some good broadcast shows out there. I mean if shows like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec were on in the early 90s, they might blow away the competition, except for maybe Seinfeld, Friends, and Frasier.
Better writing, acting, and directing will trump nudity, profanity, and (lots of) blood, any day. You take any of that out of the drama nominees and you still have reat shows.

Broadcast T.V. should be held to the same high standards being set by cable and premium cable. Broadcast needs to work harder at producing quality shows. Look at CBS, the broadcast ratings kings. They openly seek ratings over quality and their shows reflect this. The rest seem to be following suit.

The broadcasters always seem to be hamstrung seeking the almighty dollar over quality. Cable, with their much lower overhead, can present emphasize quality.

It seems the bradcasters may be headed down the same road as the big recording companies were 15-20 years ago. That road is leading to oblivion. The internet is in the process of claiming another victim.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
CaptainCanada
Admiral

It's a shame too because there are still some good broadcast shows out there. I mean if shows like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec were on in the early 90s, they might blow away the competition, except for maybe Seinfeld, Friends, and Frasier.
Broadcast comedies don't really have the same problems getting recognized as broadcast drama does, but then, trends in drama have allowed cable to really outclass broadcast drama on the whole.
Best example of this is Girls being nominated for best comedy. How the hell is that show a comedy or even good?
Girls is one of the most acclaimed comedies on TV. Much like Louie, it's not a particularly traditional comedy (and I myself stopped watching it), but it getting nominated isn't because it's on cable (though it's a show that only cable could actually make).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:22 PM   #15
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Hope Breaking Bad finally wins best drama this season. Sorry to see the Tatiana Mazlany didn't get a nomination, but of course, no surprise. Perhaps next year. And speaking of next year, Netflix will likely do some more scoring when the voters discover "Orange is the New Black'.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote