Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 21 2013, 10:43 PM   #61
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: 40 and Over Club Meeting

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, seat belts were available as optional equipment in some American cars going back to the 50s, maybe further.
For its 1956 models, Ford offered an optional safety package called "Lifeguard Design" which included front and rear lap belts.

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot Space Food Sticks. I loved those things. www.spacefoodsticks.com
Yeah, I remember those. But the topic of this thread is Politically Incorrect stuff we remember from childhood, not mere nostalgia. Besides, I thought Space Food Sticks tasted like stale, de-flavorized Tootsie Rolls.
Old July 21 2013, 11:03 PM   #62
marksound
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, seat belts were available as optional equipment in some American cars going back to the 50s, maybe further.
For its 1956 models, Ford offered an optional safety package called "Lifeguard Design" which included front and rear lap belts.

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot Space Food Sticks. I loved those things. www.spacefoodsticks.com
Yeah, I remember those. But the topic of this thread is Politically Incorrect stuff we remember from childhood, not mere nostalgia. Besides, I thought Space Food Sticks tasted like stale, de-flavorized Tootsie Rolls.
Yeah, I know what the topic of this thread is. But hey, nice talking to ya.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:17 PM   #63
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

ok, something not PC - well, kindof. My mom is from a noble family but is pretty down-to-earth and practical. We have huge and quite old oriental carpets which you can not dry clean but must wash. As our house is the last one in a coul de sac we usually just put them out in the street and hose them off. It's always been a lot of fun for us kids.
When my aunt once visited us and saw a wet carpet hanging over the fence and mom drenched to the skin, she gave her a pretty heavy dressing down in a voice a la Queen Elizabeth (imagine the famous "We are not amused...")
We still quote her, after 40 years "Good heavens! We are S***ers! We don't wash our carpets in the street!"
(Nobility and its privileges had been abolished in 1918 but someone must have forgotten to tell my aunt )
Old July 23 2013, 10:50 PM   #64
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
We still quote her, after 40 years "Good heavens! We are S***ers! We don't wash our carpets in the street!"
(Nobility and its privileges had been abolished in 1918 but someone must have forgotten to tell my aunt )
Sorry, but I'm clueless here. Sisters? Suckers? Shitters?
Old July 23 2013, 11:24 PM   #65
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

My parents didn't smoke, which is a good thing because cigarette smoke used to make me ill (though I smoked in my early 20s, by which time smoke didn't bother me any more). The largest plumes of cigarette smoke I remember from my childhood is whenever I had to knock on the door of the staff room at any of my schools. The cloud of smoke that emerged when a teacher opened that door was so thick you could launch an enemy attack and literally no one could see it coming.

Ah, being thrown around the back of station wagons! I grew up in the back of Volvos. I'm the youngest of four kids, so was always stuck in the back. It was a right of passage for kids in my neighbourhood. My childhood car rides weren't all reckless, though; my dad had a rule that you had to be at least 11 years old to ride in the front passenger seat, and you always had to wear a seatbelt when driving up front. Apart from the fact that I know several people with lifelong injuries due to not wearing belts in a crash, I feel naked sitting in the front of a car without a belt on, thanks to my dad being sensible.

Also, to be a nag, I know a handful of people who may not be here today had they not been wearing bike helmets. It's not the speed at which you ride; it's the force of the car hitting you that sends you flying.
Old July 23 2013, 11:27 PM   #66
Relayer1
Commodore

Wearing seat belts in cars and crash helmets on bikes are legal requirements over here.
Old July 24 2013, 04:32 PM   #67
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

scotpens wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I'm clueless here. Sisters? Suckers? Shitters?
Neither. I edited out the family name for reasons of privacy. (Noblesse oblige ) Feel free to insert any name you like. Windsors, Battenbergs, Romanovs, Hohenzollern. They all work in this context.