TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 20 2013, 03:35 AM   #31
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: 40 and Over Club Meeting

Those things we did as kids made us tough. Resilient. Able to adapt.

Now they give out Darwin awards.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 08:54 AM   #32
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

we also developed common sense, something I sorely miss in kids nowadays (and in quite a lot of their parents, too).

What both shocks and infuriates me is that racism is suddenly becoming modern again. I had thought mankind to finally be beyond this state of idiocy, but apparently I was wrong

A decade ago, a dark-skinned friend who is single parent of a son, told me that his son had asked him "dad, why do you get treated differently by the traffic cops than the white drivers?"
How do you as a parent explain to a 10 year old what racism is and that he will be a victim of it one day, too? When my friend told me about it I could have killed those cops!
Sadly, in my own country there are strong racist and xenophobic tendencies developing again. A handfull of people try to fight against that but the xenophobe scum appear to be breeding like rabbits.
Old July 20 2013, 09:52 AM   #33
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
TMy parents didn't smoke, but one of my grandpas did. When I was a little kid in the early '70s, my mom had some green glass ashtrays in a drawer, and when grandpa would come she'd get them out and he'd sit right there in our living room and puff the room so full of smoke that my eyes burned. And we didn't think anything of it! It almost doesn't seem believable, now.
My parents didn't smoke, but a lot of my friends' parents and my parents' friends did. When I was growing up, a perpetual haze of cigarette smoke hung in the air in many homes and most indoor public spaces. My generation breathed in "secondhand smoke" (a phrase that had yet to be coined) all the time. And we Boomers are the healthiest and longest-living generation in our country's history. So there!
Old July 20 2013, 10:10 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I still remember being 6 and being sent up the street with a note (in itself not done these days) to give my mother's friend. She smirked, stuck a few cigarettes in an envelope and gave them to me to give my mother who was "quitting".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Vice Admiral

C. Cole-Chakotay wrote: View Post
It's amazing the things we saw and did (riding bicycles without helmets) and are still alive to tell the tale.
Today, California law requires cyclists under the age of 18 to wear helmets. There was no such thing as a bicycle helmet when I was a kid, and I see no reason to wear one now. Those things are just geeky looking.
Old July 20 2013, 10:26 AM   #36
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Where I live everyone is required by law to wear a helmet. I rode up my street once without one and my neighbour hasn't stopped talking about it since, brings it up every time he sees me on a bike. "Glad to see you're being safe today" "Now don't go taking that helmet off!" You would think he had stepped out onto his porch and found me on his lawn with a needle in my arm.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 20 2013, 07:30 PM   #37
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Where I live everyone is required by law to wear a helmet.
Even adults? You're in Australia, I presume. Is that a local, state or nationwide law?

A bicycle is not a motorcycle. Usually it's a lot slower, for one thing. And if you have a mishap and fall, you're more likely to fracture a wrist bone than to slam your head against the pavement. I know because I've had my share of bicycle accidents.

Just more nanny-state meddling, IMHO. Next thing they'll require all pedestrians to wear elbow and knee pads.
Old July 20 2013, 07:37 PM   #38
publiusr
Commodore

Where I live everyone is required by law to wear a helmet. I rode up my street once without one and my neighbour hasn't stopped talking about it since, brings it up every time he sees me on a bike. "Glad to see you're being safe today" "Now don't go taking that helmet off!" You would think he had stepped out onto his porch and found me on his lawn with a needle in my arm.
There is always a busybody.

Both my parents smoked. I dreaded Sundays. Being dragged to church. My Mom fussing at me about my hair--using half a can of Aqua-Net on it to fight stick-ups. She used jagged tooth upholstering shears to cut (I mean pull) it.

We had a 1974 Ford LTD.

My Mom smoked Winston 100s, my Dad Chesterfield Kings.

But let me try to roll the window down so's I can breathe

ROLL THAT WINDOW UP! IT'LL MESS UP YOUR HAIR!!

She'd offer to roll her's down a half inch. I'd try to breathe out of the crack--and doubtless a hot ash would fly into my eyeball every time.

Ow!

"Shut up."
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:47 AM   #39
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Hell, I remember my parents driving us to the beach on a winding California road---we'd slide around on the backseat like it was a roller coaster and squeal with delight. When we got to the busier roads, Mom made us put seat belts on.

We had metal slides, we walked to school, we skinned our knees on the pavement and we fell off our bicycles and SURVIVED!

Now, everything is padded, gated off, off limits. I don't think it really helps kids any. You need to hurt yourself a little bit so you develop the common sense not to eventually do something moronic and hurt yourself A LOT.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:55 AM   #40
sojourner
Admiral

Got that beat. My parents had only a pickup truck with a camper top on it. We rode in back on a bed made of plywood. On cross country trips. Seatbelts? hehe, at least you had seats.
Old July 21 2013, 01:15 AM   #41
teacake
Fleet Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Where I live everyone is required by law to wear a helmet.
Even adults? You're in Australia, I presume. Is that a local, state or nationwide law?
Yes. Required to wear by anyone riding a bicycle since 1990 in my state and other states followed shortly after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...s_in_Australia

Some exemptions apply and apparently in 2014 in QLD you can have an exemption on religious grounds! WTF that is I do not know.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 21 2013, 01:23 AM   #42
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Religious grounds most often refers to Sikh men whose religious beliefs mean that they have to wear a turban.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:08 AM   #43
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

In 1980 when I was recovering from my total correction surgery that went wrong, I was transfered to a regular room and given paints to paint my window. I did this:

What you can't see in the picture is the left side of the window. I painted the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard in front of a house and the house had a flag pole that I put the rebel battle flag (as seen on the car.) This was in center city Philadelphia and this room was in the middle of the hospital when looking from the outside.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:30 AM   #44
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Got that beat. My parents had only a pickup truck with a camper top on it. We rode in back on a bed made of plywood. On cross country trips. Seatbelts? hehe, at least you had seats.
When I was going to summer day camp, they'd pack 8 or 10 kids in the back of a station wagon with the rear seat folded down. We sat cross-legged on the bare metal floor. Seatbelts? Hell, no seats!

Nowadays we're afraid to let our kids walk two blocks to school. Ridiculous.
Old July 21 2013, 03:35 AM   #45
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

I used to sit on my grandmothers lap in the front seat a lot.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote