Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 21 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

6.5 quake and strong aftershocks hits central New Zealand

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8945...al-New-Zealand

A severe magnitude 6.5 earthquake, which hit central New Zealand this evening, was not the last, but scientists say it will hopefully be the biggest.
GeoNet said it was centred in the Cook Strait, 20 kilometres east of Seddon at a depth of 17 kilometres. It struck at 5.09pm.
The Pacific Tsunami Center in Hawaii said the quake did not generate a tsunami.
The 6.5 magnitude quake was likely linked to a fault in the Cook Strait capable of generating far more severe shaking, GNS Science said.
Dr Kelvin Berryman, GNS Science director of Natural Hazards, said the severe shaking over the past three days was probably linked to one of several faults capable of generating shakes of magnitude 7.0 or more.
The most likely candidate was the Needle fault, although the location of the series quakes over the past three days did not quite match up.
He said a larger quake was unlikely but the swarm that kicked off on Friday morning was not following the normal aftershock pattern, in which the tremors became progressively less severe.
This afternoon's 6.5 magnitude shake, the biggest in the latest swarm, meant the shaking was not following the usual pattern, he said.
GNS should have a clearer idea of the probability of another big, or even bigger, quake by tomorrow, he said.
A spokesman for Civil Defence Minister Nikki Kaye confirmed a civil defence emergency had not been declared, but an emergency centre had been set up in Thorndon.
The quakes are over 800km away from me so I haven't felt any yet but Wellington is my home town (and the capital city).
Old July 21 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
ITElf
Vice Admiral

Re: 6.5 quake and strong aftershocks hits central New Zealand

My cousin's just moved there and got a 6.5 for his first proper earthquake - he posted on FB just after it happened to say all was well, if a little wobbly.
Old July 22 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

ITL wrote: View Post
My cousin's just moved there and got a 6.5 for his first proper earthquake - he posted on FB just after it happened to say all was well, if a little wobbly.
Your cousin's in Wellington? It would have been an interesting last few days there, for someone unused to seismic shenanigans.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:40 AM   #4
ITElf
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Your cousin's in Wellington? It would have been an interesting last few days there, for someone unused to seismic shenanigans.
I'm not sure exactly where he is in NZ, to tell the truth. Obviously close enough to feel the tremor, but I don't know how close.
Old July 22 2013, 03:19 AM   #5
M'Sharak

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I'm not sure exactly where he is in NZ, to tell the truth. Obviously close enough to feel the tremor, but I don't know how close.
Looks like people reported feeling it across most of North Island and half of South Island, but the wobbliest fun would have been around Wellington or in the corresponding areas on the opposite side of Cook Strait
Old July 22 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Didn't feel a thing down here in Christchurch. Given our veteran status for enduring earthquakes, I feel strangely left out!

All the best to my fellow Kiwis up North. Let us hope this was the main event.
Old July 22 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
M'Sharak

Just ran across a gallery of photos. Nothing really catastrophic, but it looks as if a few things might take a while to get all straightened out again.