RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 436
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 17 2013, 05:57 AM   #361
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
siskokid888 wrote: View Post
I have never been in the military. If I wear a military uniform, it is a costume, since I have not earned the right to wear it as a uniform. Q obviously had not earned that right either, so maybe thats why Picard calls it a "costume" in that instance.
Cue: "But you can't deny Captain, that you're still a dangerous, savage child race."

Picard: 'Most certainly I deny it. I agree what we still were when humans wore costumes like that four hundred years ago."

Problem with that siskokid888 is Picard isn't referring to Q in the uniform as wearing a costume, he is obviously referring to the military uniform itself as a costume.

If a modern day person saw what French Aristocrats dressed like (the big poofy outfits, the makeup and stuff) would he be impressed or would he think "Whoa, what a weird costume"?

Keep in mind, Picard is 400 years ahead of us, folks then would look back at what we wear and consider some of them strange costumes. That's just how we all usually act.

I mean, plenty of us deride Star trek Clothes are weird costumes, they'd probably think the same of what we wore, military or otherwise.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:34 AM   #362
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

From Wesley:

"How can a chemical substance provide an escape?"

followed closely by:

"So you mean I'm drunk! I feel strange, but also good."

I still cringe all these years later!
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:04 AM   #363
Captain Rob
Commodore

I can't see how anyone can take seriously a clothing critique from a grey-haired man that works in an oversized pair of gymjams. (Patrick Stewart's word).
Old October 17 2013, 01:40 PM   #364
gazomg
Commander

when crusher said if there is nothing wrong with me, then there is something wrong with the universe.

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:17 PM   #365
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

gazomg wrote: View Post
when crusher said if there is nothing wrong with me, then there is something wrong with the universe.
No way!

I love that line.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 04:20 PM   #366
MakeshiftPython
Captain

"I'm from Starfleet. We don't lie."
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 04:37 PM   #367
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
I can't see how anyone can take seriously a clothing critique from a grey-haired man that works in an oversized pair of gymjams. (Patrick Stewart's word).
Depends on how easily you can see the context of the line and not be super-offended a fictional guy from the future is making the same critiques about us that we'd be making about our own ancestors from hundreds of years ago.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:36 PM   #368
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

At the time I think Picard was treating the uniform as a symbol for the motives of 20th century wars. Acquiring territory, building power, murdering people of different religions, getting oil, spreading philosophy by force. Those are all the things Q was criticizing humanity for and he was using his particular uniform as a symbol of those qualities. 'Costume' was clearly a poor choice of words as it did imply he was talking about all military service, but he clearly did not intend to disparage those who serve in the military to defend their country.

Remember this came out less than 20 years after Vietnam, and Vietnam generated movies like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:20 PM   #369
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Geordi: Worf... Is THIS your idea of sex???

Worf: THIS IS SEX!

TNG season 1. *shudder*
NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:47 AM   #370
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
There was a TNG episode - can't remember which one - where Picard said something like "set a course for the Klingon Imperial Empire". I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst line in Trek history, but its glaring redundancy is cringe worthy. It eludes me why a classically trained Patrick Stewart agreed to say it this way - it should have sounded weird to him too.
Sins of the Father, the episode that introduced us to Kurn, Duras, K'mPec and the Klingon High Council. And yes, the line is cringe-worthy. Still redundant, but better sounding, would have been "The Imperial Klingon Empire."
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:56 AM   #371
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I'm surprised that nobody caught the redundancy of that line during filming. There are other examples, like the episode (can't remember which now) where Picard hails an alien world from the "starship vessel Enterprise."

(OT: I've grown to dislike the Klingons-as-Warrior-Race trope but I have to admit I do have a big ol' soft spot for K'mPec. Well-played as a pragmatic statesman working expertly in a decidedly un-pragmatic culture.)
Old October 18 2013, 11:00 AM   #372
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

For me is got be this exchange from every star trek incarnation ever:

random crewmember: 'bridge to captain'

Captain: 'go ahead'

random crewmember: 'there's something here you should see'

Whilst i get it's a conceit so the audience doesn't know what to expect but it just annoys me. The Captain never does what any normal person would do and say 'what is it'.

Also more combination of a situation and dialogue. Whenever an alien manages to bypass security controls get a shuttle and mask their warp trail. The responses to the captains various orders are 'i can't', 'i've been locked out', 'they're gone'. No one ever seems astonished that trained crewmembers who were able to secure a post on an advanced starship would fuck up so royally.

It happend so frequently on Voyager and is just such horrible, lazy writing. Janeway was never like 'what the fuck Harry, you're incompetent in every fucking episode'. 'Here's a formal warning to get your shit together or you get demoted to janitor'.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 12:01 PM   #373
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
(OT: I've grown to dislike the Klingons-as-Warrior-Race trope but I have to admit I do have a big ol' soft spot for K'mPec. Well-played as a pragmatic statesman working expertly in a decidedly un-pragmatic culture.
One of my favorite moments is where Worf suddenly strikes Duras to the ground, the shot cut to Kmpec and he is quietly nodding.

In my own mind the Klingons as warrior/soldier race thing never bothered my, because in my own mind probably very few of them are. It's a leadership - ruling family thing. A requirement to get into high office.

Look at how many American presidents have been former military officers.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 01:33 PM   #374
Trek Survivor
Captain

I have to agree with the self-referential (bordering on cringeworthy) "and you're astronauts on some kind of...star trek!" from ST:FC. I know the writers meant it as cute, but it was just painful.

I have not watched Enterprise, but those two examples given earlier (about the Prime Directive and Dr. Soong's ancestor) sound similarly cringeworthy.
Old October 18 2013, 06:06 PM   #375
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I have to agree with the self-referential (bordering on cringeworthy) "and you're astronauts on some kind of...star trek!" from ST:FC.
It sounds like the kind of thing that they put in movies today just so they can then put it in the trailers.

Like Carol Marcus in her underwear, it did nothing for the last movie's plot, but it was featured in all the trailers.

FC was before my time, was that line in the trailers?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote