RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,582
Posts: 5,515,189
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 534
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 12 2013, 02:30 AM   #301
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

When Archer told T'Pol "You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass," really bothered me. Aside from being douchey, guys should never threaten women like that, and it made me cringe when the guy who was supposed to be the "hero captain" of the new series say that.

It should have been followed up with him trying something and T'pol giving him a vulcan nerve pinch or something, to put Archer in his place.
TheSubCommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 02:36 AM   #302
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain
 
Toxteth O´Grady's Avatar
 
Location: Illinois, USA
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
When Archer told T'Pol "You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass," really bothered me. Aside from being douchey, guys should never threaten women like that, and it made me cringe when the guy who was supposed to be the "hero captain" of the new series say that.

It should have been followed up with him trying something and T'pol giving him a vulcan nerve pinch or something, to put Archer in his place.
To me that line always felt like a painfully obvious way of telling viewers "This ain't your dad's Star Trek!" I cringe every time I think of that line.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 02:40 AM   #303
Sran
Commodore
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
To me that line always felt like a painfully obvious way of telling viewers "This ain't your dad's Star Trek!" I cringe every time I think of that line.
I think they were trying to recapture the dynamic between Picard and Sisko after the latter said, "We met in battle, sir. I was on the Saratoga at Wolf 359."

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 09:53 AM   #304
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Sran wrote: View Post
jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Didn't Kang have a classy comeback about Klingons not having a devil, but being very familiar with the habits of humans devil, suggesting torture for Kirk.
Seems strange given that Worf threw a fit about Fek'lhr during "Devil's Due."
Trek does sometimes encourage the idea that all alien species only have a single culture. Just because Kang's culture doesn't have a Devil, doesn't mean that Worf's can't. Diversity within the general Klingon society.

The House that Kang belonged to may have simply been non-religious.


Last edited by Merry Christmas; September 12 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 10:10 AM   #305
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Aside from being douchey, guys should never threaten women like that, and it made me cringe when the guy who was supposed to be the "hero captain" of the new series say that.
But... equality!
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 01:53 PM   #306
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Aside from being douchey, guys should never threaten women like that, and it made me cringe when the guy who was supposed to be the "hero captain" of the new series say that.
But... equality!
That scene introduced us to Archer in so many ways. To come off as both racist and sexist at the same time you'd think he put some deliberate effort into that remark. But he's just a bonehead of the first order. Though it also set the tones for T'Pol's primary purpose in the show. I swear her boobs got more screen time than Hoshi and Mayweather combined. Almost as many lines too.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 02:14 PM   #307
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
When Archer told T'Pol "You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass," really bothered me. Aside from being douchey, guys should never threaten women like that, and it made me cringe when the guy who was supposed to be the "hero captain" of the new series say that.
Indeed. I thought this was in very poor taste.

It should have been followed up with him trying something and T'pol giving him a vulcan nerve pinch or something, to put Archer in his place.
I would have enjoyed that.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:12 PM   #308
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

R. Star wrote: View Post
That scene introduced us to Archer in so many ways. To come off as both racist and sexist at the same time you'd think he put some deliberate effort into that remark. But he's just a bonehead of the first order. Though it also set the tones for T'Pol's primary purpose in the show. I swear her boobs got more screen time than Hoshi and Mayweather combined. Almost as many lines too.
Agreed.

The sad thing is, Jolene Blalock is actually a pretty good actress and thoughtful when it came to developing T'Pol. I guess being something of a fan guided her a bit. A lot of the dumb shit they had her do, she's publicly confirmed she thought was stupid too.

I'm not saying she's somehow losing out because she's smart and also happens to be a babe, simply that she was relegated to a lesser function than she might've otherwise been, because the network/production wanted to maintain the catsuit factor.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 08:20 PM   #309
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Praetor wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
That scene introduced us to Archer in so many ways. To come off as both racist and sexist at the same time you'd think he put some deliberate effort into that remark. But he's just a bonehead of the first order. Though it also set the tones for T'Pol's primary purpose in the show. I swear her boobs got more screen time than Hoshi and Mayweather combined. Almost as many lines too.
Agreed.

The sad thing is, Jolene Blalock is actually a pretty good actress and thoughtful when it came to developing T'Pol.
I agree. I loathed the character at first because of the obvious pandering, but I came to really appreciate how Jolene was performing T'Pol. The actress was above the part.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 11:07 PM   #310
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Well said, sir.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 01:57 AM   #311
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Forbin wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
That scene introduced us to Archer in so many ways. To come off as both racist and sexist at the same time you'd think he put some deliberate effort into that remark. But he's just a bonehead of the first order. Though it also set the tones for T'Pol's primary purpose in the show. I swear her boobs got more screen time than Hoshi and Mayweather combined. Almost as many lines too.
Agreed.

The sad thing is, Jolene Blalock is actually a pretty good actress and thoughtful when it came to developing T'Pol.
I agree. I loathed the character at first because of the obvious pandering, but I came to really appreciate how Jolene was performing T'Pol. The actress was above the part.
The only other role I recall seeing her in was Nicci in Legend of the Seeker. I enjoyed the series more once I stopped comparing it to the books, and she put in a convincing performance there. I really never could get into T'Pol though... she just seemed to be a rather bland character to me.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:03 AM   #312
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

She may have been above the part initially, but even with the stupid stuff she really tried to bring the role up to her level. By the end of the run, she had just about succeeded.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:34 PM   #313
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Eh, I'm not sure if that remark is sexist when it's a human making it toward a vulcan. It's not the same if the person receiving the threat is stronger than the person making it. To me the issue is which party is capable of hurting the other party, not which happens to be male and which happens to be female. Like, if there was a small 90 pound man and a large female bodybuilder, it would be worse if the bodybuilder threatened the man than the other way around, because she's the one capable of carrying out the threat in this example. Vulcans are way stronger than humans, so in this case it's not the same. There's no terror, no domination. If anything it's sexist to say that women need special treatment.

If Archer made any attempt to knock T'Pol on her ass, T'Pol would just duck backward twice and roll away! Because that is how you can defend yourself from anybody! (Ugh, speaking of the worst line in the series.)

Anyway, Star Trek is post-gender.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:46 PM   #314
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Strength doesn't have a thing to do with sexist remarks. If a man makes a sexist remark towards a female body builder, it's still sexist. If a normal woman makes a sexist remark towards a strong man, it's still sexist. The same with threats. They're just that... threatening. If a 100 pound man threatens to kill a pro wrestler, it's still a legit threat and out of line.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:02 PM   #315
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Put more simply, it makes Archer an asshole no matter how you slice it.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.