RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 603
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 22 2013, 04:26 AM   #1
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Time Bomb (Spoilers?)

Probably already been brought up by someone, but a thought just occurred to me. There's been a lingering issue who blew up the Tardis in Matt Smith's first year; and that made me think of something related.

It used to be that when the Doctor regenerated, it was a very calm affair with no real effects. But as the Doctor used up his lives, the regenerations have become increasingly explosive. This was most true in Matt Smith's entrance where the regeneration did significant damage to the Tardis.

How big of an explosion will the Doctor's next regeneration cause? Is the limit 12 regenerations because the final causes an explosion so large that there's no body left to regenerate ?
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 06:11 AM   #2
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Time Bomb (Spoilers?)

^
I wonder if the Sisterhood of Karn was responsible for this? Perhaps their elixirs affected the regeneration?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ I brought up a similar point in the Night Of The Doctor thread, since McGann to Hurt was technically the first regeneration in nuWho.

I may have confused the "new effect" somewhat with the more violent regenerations.

Hurt to Eccleston wasn't particularly violent and other Timelords (Melody & the Master) have used the same "new effect" without the violent nature.

Tennant to Smith was speculated to be more violent due to the Vinvocci radiation and/or Tennant holding it in for Who knows how long.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
EnderAKH
Captain

I was under the impression that the explosiveness of the Eccleston to Tenant regeneration was due to him having absorbed the heart of the TARDIS, and the Tenant to Smith regeneration was due to him having absorbed all of that radiation in the booth. Neither McGann to Hurt nor Hurt to Eccleston (what little we saw of them) looked particularly explodey.

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer

Let's be honest, the destructiveness of the 10-11 change was due to them having built a new console room for HD and needing an excuse to change it...

There's no such issue with this time.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

10 decapitated an immortal before regenerating...

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
DWF
Vice Admiral

^^^This is true but I also think that Tennant's Doctor held back the regeneration for too long.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 12:55 AM   #8
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
^^^This is true but I also think that Tennant's Doctor held back the regeneration for too long.
That's the simplest explanation and it gave TPTB a convenient excuse to tear down the old console room and rebuild it
Old December 23 2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
How big of an explosion will the Doctor's next regeneration cause? Is the limit 12 regenerations because the final causes an explosion so large that there's no body left to regenerate ?
Rumor has it that...

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
That's the simplest explanation and it gave TPTB a convenient excuse to tear down the old console room and rebuild it
Not that they needed an excuse to change the console room seeing as it changes without explanation between The Angles Take Manhattan and The Snowmen.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 06:43 AM   #11
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Not that they needed an excuse to change the console room seeing as it changes without explanation between The Angles Take Manhattan and The Snowmen.
There was a gap in the narrative there, allowing it to be "ignored". You couldn't do the same during series 5 quite so easily - sure, it could happen off-screen between episodes, but it would still "feel" like something we should have seen.

Of course, the offscreen explanation there was "we found out we couldn't actually move the old set to the new studio, so we'd have to build a new one anyways".

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 09:00 AM   #12
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Rumor has it that...

Yes, that's got me wondering if...
Old December 23 2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The destructive energy will coil about cleaving people in half like what Mickey Rouke had in Iron Man II?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Got to confess I've not really liked the orange explosion of light regeneration. Much prefer the old white glow effect.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

If you think about it, even in the classic series the regenerations go more violent gradually with Baker-McCoy and McCoy-McGann in mind. For the classic series anyway, those two were ever so slightly more violent than previous ones.

Hartnel to Troughton: He just lied there and quickly morphed.
Troughton to Pertwee: Well in the war games we didn't exactly see the actual transformation, but he did spin around a bit then stumble out the TARDIS in Spearhead. But if you take the fan film "Devious" as cannon as it actually had Pertwee in it, then there was a bit of suffering in it, but that's after the regeneration and when the timelords whipped the Doctor's memory. Nonetheless, ever so slightly more violent, although not really that violent anyway.
Pertwee to Baker: Really non violent again. A few tears and needed to be triggered off to start, but the actual transformation really was not violent either.
Baker to Davison: Probably a tad more violent than previous regeneration with the watcher sort of walking into the Doctor, but not really violent either. In a way, more peaceful.
Davison to Baker: Now this is where the violence rises. A haunting scene of memories about Andric and the Master. Plus is the first time the slightest sign of glowing light was seen at all (although I haven't seen Caves of Androzani in full, just the actual regeneration scene).
Baker to McCoy: Here's where we see the first slight resemblance to modern regeneration. Although the Doctor was lying down, we did see some light emerge from his face albeit multi-coloured as opposed to flame colour. Now this is where it begins getting more violent.
McCoy to McGann: This time the doctor actually properly morphs. It looked uncomfortable and slightly more violent than previous regenerations.
McGann to Hurt: The first stand up flame regeneration. McGann illuminates then a quiet but blinding explosion is seen. Slightly more violent again.
Hurt to Eccleston: Unfortunately we only see the beginning of this regeneration but I predict it probably was the same or similar to Eccleston's.
Eccleston to Tennant: more violent than previous ones yet again with the doctor bursting into flames then morphing.
Tennant to Smith: The first very violent regeneration, the TARDIS actually explodes along with the doctor.

So who knows what will happen with Smith. Will the he explode again? Or will we go back to a more traditional regeneration? (I hope not) Rumours have it this time the doctor will actually hover when regeneration as I heard something about Smith receiving and injury when being lifted to a harness in the regeneration scene. Would be fun.
Green Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote