TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 19 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Ro_Laren
Commodore

How Do I Get Rid of a "RunDLL" Pop-up?

Every time I start my computer I get a stupid “RunDLL” pop-up comes up. Also, when I try to open up a photo I get the same pop-up. My computer has started to freeze a little when opening the photos ‘cause of this pop-up. How do I get rid of the pop-up? It just started happening within the last couple of months. The only changes I made in that time was downloading Microsoft Security Essentials and also a different spyware removal software recommended by www.bleepingcomputer.com. I am thinking that maybe it said something was spyware that wasn’t and that I deleted some important program…. I have deleted the spyware program from www.bleepingcomputer.com, but still have Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer. BTW, I used the same program from Microsoft Security Essentials and www.bleepingcomputer.com on two different computers and didn’t have any probs.
Here is a screen grab of the pop-up:

Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:17 AM   #2
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: How Do I Get Rid of a "RunDLL" Pop-up?

Try restoring to a known good backup, before the error message.

On the rare occasions when that hasn't worked for me, I just reinstall Windows and start over. My two main computers are subscribed to Carbonite, so I can retrieve my files and photos. The downside is that Carbonite doesn't backup videos, but I keep them on a separate hard drive anyway.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:21 AM   #3
sojourner
Admiral

Found on the second link in googling wow.dll:

After dealing with this problem all day today, I'm happy to announce I finally have it fixed (so far; here's hoping it doesn't pop back up!).

I tried Malwarebytes anti malware, Malwarebytes anti rootkit, Superantispyware, TDSS killer, and a multitude of others, all of which detected squat outside of a few tracking cookies. Kept getting the same blahblahblah\wow.dll error popping up every time I right clicked anything. As a last resort, I downloaded the free edition of AVG, and guess what?! Showed up immediately as a Trojan horse CRYPT2.DUE. Zapped it right out. Highly recommend it.

Good luck, guys. Hope this helps.
Old July 19 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
marksound
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Found on the second link in googling wow.dll:

After dealing with this problem all day today, I'm happy to announce I finally have it fixed (so far; here's hoping it doesn't pop back up!).

I tried Malwarebytes anti malware, Malwarebytes anti rootkit, Superantispyware, TDSS killer, and a multitude of others, all of which detected squat outside of a few tracking cookies. Kept getting the same blahblahblah\wow.dll error popping up every time I right clicked anything. As a last resort, I downloaded the free edition of AVG, and guess what?! Showed up immediately as a Trojan horse CRYPT2.DUE. Zapped it right out. Highly recommend it.

Good luck, guys. Hope this helps.
There you go. Stupid trojans. People who put these things out there should be drawn and quartered, or at least brought up on felony charges.

I'd be willing to bet that if people like that are found, the government puts them on the payroll.
Old July 19 2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I want a RunDMC pop-up.
Old July 20 2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I never do real backups of my data, but have saved my most important files on an external hard drive. I ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner and neither of those programs got rid of the pop-up...
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
marksound
Fleet Captain

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
I never do real backups of my data, but have saved my most important files on an external hard drive. I ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner and neither of those programs got rid of the pop-up...
Most computers these days have a partition on the hard drive specifically for a snapshot of the main partition. Look up "restore" under Help in the main menu.
Old July 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
Did you try AVG as quoted in my previous post?
Old July 21 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

the free avg has never let me down

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote