Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 16 2013, 03:09 AM   #1
mythme
Commodore

Why French?

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere. Why was Picard conceived as being French. Why, once a English actor was cast, did he remain French? Why not recon the part to be British or even have Stewart use a fake French accent? Why the hardline push for Picard being French?
Old July 16 2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Re: Why French?

No proof, but I believe I've heard it was in honor of Jacques Cousteau.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:24 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

mythme wrote: View Post
I'm sure this is addressed somewhere. Why was Picard conceived as being French. Why, once a English actor was cast, did he remain French? Why not recon the part to be British or even have Stewart use a fake French accent? Why the hardline push for Picard being French?
I think him trying to do a French accent would have been painful and terrible for everyone involved. To make the character BRITISH you'd have to at the very least give the character a new name and potentially change some other character details that may have been in the series bible. But, really, I'm not clear why. Those could all be hurdles, sure, but not impossible ones to get through. But it could just boil down to they liked the name Jean-Luc Picard for the name of the character and probably just assumed that sometime between "now" and "then" French people merge culturally (at least linguistically. I believe Data even says French is a "dead language") with Brittan. Once a unified Earth happened it's likely a LOT of cultural borders broke down especially if travel between countries and such became easier and faster (there may be something in a non-canon background about Picard having doing extensive schooling in England.)
Old July 16 2013, 03:27 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

World War 3 consisted of Britain conquering France.
Old July 16 2013, 03:30 AM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral

I've wondered this myself. Why not just make the character British? What's the big deal?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Pavonis
Commodore

Why not French? And why would he speak with an accent? It is possible to learn a language so well as to speak it without an accent. And if Picard speaks English as a second language, Britain's proximity would undoubtedly lead to him developing a British accent rather than a neutral one.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

A Frenchman with a British accent who's into Shakespeare and Earl Grey tea.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
A Frenchman with a British accent who's into Shakespeare and Earl Grey tea.
And is also a wine aficionado and grew up on the family vineyard.
Old July 16 2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Yes, and also he was named for the pioneering aviator-scientists the Piccard brothers. And I think Roddenberry wanted more of an international feel.

As for the accent, it's no more problematical than having African native Uhura speak with a Chicago accent. Or having Vulcan native Spock speak with a Boston accent. Or having an Indian Sikh named Khan speak with a Mexican accent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
World War 3 consisted of Britain conquering France.
As I've said before, they, just took back the land they lost in the 13th Century.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:19 AM   #11
TheSubCommander
Captain

I always had a theory that the name Picard was chosen by Roddenberry because it sounds similar to Pike. Being French was secondary.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:20 AM   #12
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
. . . Why, once an English actor was cast, did he remain French? Why not recon the part to be British or even have Stewart use a fake French accent? Why the hardline push for Picard being French?
I think him trying to do a French accent would have been painful and terrible for everyone involved.
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Yes, and also he was named for the pioneering aviator-scientists the Piccard brothers.
According to Wiki:
Gene Roddenberry named Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek after one or both of the twin brothers Auguste and Jean Felix Piccard, and derived Jean-Luc Picard from their names.
BTW, the Piccard brothers were actually Swiss.

Last edited by scotpens; July 16 2013 at 04:33 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:21 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or having an Indian Sikh named Khan speak with a Mexican accent.
That was a rich Corinthian accent.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:51 AM   #14
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Why wouldn't Picard speak Received Pronunciation English (or the 24th century thereof)? The character should probably have had more Gallic attributes, but he might well gravitate toward a British way of speaking English. Indeed, Received Pronunciation is a legitimate magnet in today's world for those aspiring to speak English, and people in many parts of the world perceive the way Englishmen pronounce words to be more prestigious. And if I am not mistaken, it is the way that most Europeans are taught English.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Third Nacelle
Captain

Picard's brother, nephew, sister-in-law, and that Louis guy were all French but spoke English - to each other! - in France! - with English accents.

That either means English has become Earth's primary language by the 24th century and the English accent spread out to the continent, or perhaps Picard was speaking French the whole time and the univeral translator gives him the accent.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote