Justice League: War (animated movie)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Captain Qwert Jr

Captain Qwert Jr Captain Captain

I saw it...*sigh*

Synopsis: Seven assholes save planet of assholes from space asshole.

This is so depressing I barely know where to begin. DC is ruled by it's hang-ups. It has no appreciation for, or perhaps even understanding of it's heroes. Hell, there is not even a basic understanding of characterization, storytelling, or even simple human behavior in this. I cant even imagine what audience this crap is aimed at.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- Wonder Woman was an interesting character and I liked the costume. I could have been turned off but I wasn't. I was also reminded of the fact that they can't seem to pin down a definitive characterization for her.

- I liked the way Batman and Superman met and think it'll be difficult to top.

- There was a set-up for an Aquaman-based sequel.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

James Tucker said in a recent interview that of the three PG-13 releases per year, two will be in a shared continuity and one will be outside of that continuity. For the movies in continuity they're going to seek to have consistency in terms of design and voice casts. Justice League: War and Son of Batman (slated for release on the 6th May) are the two in contunity releases for this year, while Batman: Assault on Arkham will be the out of continuity release.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i really don't like these PG-13 films. i thought Superman Unbound was far too violent. this film is just more of the same. if i were 12 i'm sure it would be the best thing ever. i really don't enjoy my favorite characters calling each other douchebags. JLA Trapped in Time was certainly more enjoyable than this.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Son of Batman is directed by Ethan Spaulding, marking his first time directing for WB/DC's line of animated movies. The movie is written by James Robinson (screen story) and Joe R. Lansdale (script). The voice cast is:

Jason O'Mara as Batman
    Morena Baccarin as Talia al Ghul
    Giancarlo Esposito as Ra's al Ghul
    David McCallum as Alfred
    Thomas Gibson as Deathstroke
    Xander Berkeley as Kirk Langstrom
    Stuart Allan as Damian Wayne

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Saw this yesterday. Why did it feel like the WW characterization was ripped from a 1980's hasbro cartoon?

Shazam needs to lose the hoodie on the cape. It looks silly.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But then it wouldn't be all new, all different.

I remember the times Marvel has shaken things up on costumes. There were hits (Symbiote Spider-man; Bucky Cap) and there were misses (Cap armor; leather jacket Avengers); but I always had the impression that Marvel was trying for something cool, something to match the times or something to match an event.

The recent costume changes with DC just seem like change for the sake of change. No real reason for it except to say, "Look at me! I'm different!"

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wow. I was stuck for a way to explain how I felt about it but this is perfect. Thank you.

Anybody else miss the hell out of Bruce Timm and Paul Dini?

One bright spot: after seeing Hal Jordan just shooting green bullets out of his ring all through the GLAS it was nice to see Green Lantern depicted as Green Lantern again with constructs and everything.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

So far, so faithful to the comic book. Damn you, current DC!

(Please, do more out-of-continuity books like "Adventures of Superman".)

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or more original movies that aren't direct comics adaptations.

I wish they'd diversify the DVD line to include continuations of some of the past animated franchises. Do some DCAU movies (maybe show the "Near-Apocalypse of 2009"). Do a Batman: The Brave and the Bold movie or two. Do 2-3 movies telling an abbreviated version of Young Justice's unproduced third season.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'd just be happy with less Justice League origin stories.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I kind of agree. For me the voice acting missed the mark for Batman, GL, and Superman. I know it's Andrea Romano's show but in my mind if it's not a Conroy Batman it's missing something.

GL's voice was grating--particularly since all he did was bitch and moan for the most part. I thought Tudyk just sounded too casual as Superman. Wonder Woman and Flash sounded fine.

Would've been nice to have Ironside as Darkseid but really the only vocalizing there was to do was a bunch of bland growly garbage.

I did enjoy the multiple constructs. Watched this with the kids with captions on and only had to speak jibberish over the bad language a few times. The violence was pretty generic, and though the parademons were somewhat scary to them I think they were so copy/pasted across the whole movie that was eventually lost on them.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure about this one, since the general reaction to the comic book wasn't that great. Sounds like I'll be skipping it.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I finally saw this... and I wish I hadn't. It was pretty bad. Mostly nonstop action without a lot of characterization. It had a few nice moments, but they were outnumbered by the weak or stupid moments.

Superman, who should be the heart of the team, was barely even there as a character, just a big dumb overconfident lug who punched things and flirted with Diana. Wonder Woman herself was far worse, a caricature who claimed to be a "warrior" but was shallow, impulsive, and reckless without a trace of discipline. Come on, no "warrior" is going to casually swing her sword around and point it at people merely as a form of address. A warrior would have more respect for her weapon and its danger.

Didn't think much of how the other characters were handled either, but the worst was probably Darkseid. He's supposed to be a monarch, a commanding figure who rarely needs to dirty his hands with actual combat because he has so many underlings to do it for him. The threat he poses is generally more psychological, in the way he manipulates and corrupts and bends people to his will. So when he does strike physically, it has a real impact from a story point of view. But this Darkseid was a barely literate, grunting thug. They pretty much turned him into Doomsday, a threat that's all brute force and no personality or intelligence. I wondered why they even bothered to call him Darkseid.

Some of the voices were fairly good, but they didn't have much to work with. Even Alan Tudyk wasn't all that much of a standout, since he was given such a shallow, one-note Superman to portray. The one real standout was Marjorie Monaghan as Wonder Woman, who stood out for how terrible she was -- although I think the blame there lies more with how the character was written.

If this is going to be the DCU movies' primary continuity from now on, I'm not optimistic about what lies ahead.