New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 16 2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Why French?

Okay, in the Midwest I once had dinner at an Italian restaurant with Greek wall paintings. Or another Italian restaurant with plenty of French wine poster paintings.

To cast a British actor to play a starship captain of French origin was a bad thing from the start that just proved Murphy's Law, for the various reeasons mentioned here.

And I wouldn't be too surprised if the actual inspiration for the name came from the famous French frozen food company. (You know, it's very "picard" in space ).

Not entirely unexpected TNG was not a big success in France. The captain supposedly to represent their culture apparently had never heard of Moliére, Jean-Jacques Rosseau or Voltaire.

But here is the best screw-up.

This painting from the 7th movie shows one of Picard's (supposedly French) ancestors from...The Battle of Trafalgar

This battle was a humiliating defeat for the French and their allied Spanish Navy. Nothing to write home about and definitely nothing you would want to be remembered by - as a French officer.

As a matter of fact, the French Maritime History Museum in Paris (vis-a-vis the Eiffel Tower) has little to say or showcase on the Battle of Trafalgar. Except for the heroic (or suicidal) actions of the French Captain Lucas.

Bob

P.S. French Fries were not invented in France. The were invented in Belgium. But since a lot of people from Belgium, like Agatha Christie's Hercules Poirot, speak French, they are often mistaken for French citizens.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:13 PM   #32
Pavonis
Commodore

Is it reasonable to assume the Picards have been French since the beginning of time? Might they perhaps have immigrated to La Barre in, say, the 22nd century?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:36 PM   #33
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Is it reasonable to assume the Picards have been French since the beginning of time? Might they perhaps have immigrated to La Barre in, say, the 22nd century?
From what I can tell, picards were agricultural laborers (diggers). The word was attached to a group of students from the Flemish (non-French) territories of Burgundy, who were expelled from the Paris' universities for rioting during Mardi Gras. Subsequently, the people from this region were understood in terms of these students, these Picards, thus becoming Picardy.

Does this explain anything? I don't know. However, with all the accounts of Picard family history on the show, it's possible that many Picards were mercenaries or sailors. No navy was picky about who served, and indeed, Frenchmen served in the British navy. Could such mercenaries and sailors have found their way to Franche-Comté to become vintners? After 1870, it's entirely possible.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:38 PM   #34
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Why not? People from Quebec are ethnically French but have very different accents, and those few who actually move to France would be in a similar situation.

Also, while Picard's dad spoke with an English accent, his mom spoke with a pronounced French accent. And what's wrong with having had an ancestor who fought and lost some major battle? We listen to a ton of American vets go on about the Vietnam war, to say nothing of various Southern gentry who insist that the years between 1861-1865 were totally awesome despite the outcome...

And of further note, while almost everyone pronounced "Picard" with the "D", Q and one Ferengi (Bractor from "Peak Performance", played by Armin Shimerman) have pronounced the name with the muted D. Q most likely in jest, and Bractor because Armin did it right but wasn't shooting live with the other actors, and no one caught the blunder.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:40 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

In the 24th century, they have flying cars and transporters. Distance no longer matters. It would be simple for a resident of Labarre to commute to England for school, or to be enrolled in boarding school there, and thereby pick up the accent. Heck, someone could live in Mumbai or Antarctica and commute to London for school every day.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:46 PM   #36
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I should add that I always ask Frenchmen to say my name as if it were French. This usually means that they must convert a -th- to -t-, the former being unpronounceable in French.

ETA: on the other hand, the Quebecois have not problem with my name.
Old July 16 2013, 05:51 PM   #37
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

So, Bed Tots? That's how my Quebecquoise wife would pronounce it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:56 PM   #38
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
To cast a British actor to play a starship captain of French origin was a bad thing from the start
Not at all. I find Picard's infatuation with British stuff refreshing and believable, and immensely better than a stereotyped "Frenchman". That would have been downright insulting. But an well-read, cultured French captain with a penchant for tea and Shakespeare? That's nothing weird or unusual about that.
Old July 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #39
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
So, Bed Tots? That's how my Quebecquoise wife would pronounce it.

Mark
Ha, ha!

However, I know many, who play "la musique trad," not all of them well educated, who lack the distinctive French difficulty with English pronunciation. Nothing scientific, just observation.
Old July 16 2013, 06:26 PM   #40
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Well, French is a dead language, so why would Picard speak with a French accent?
Old July 16 2013, 06:44 PM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain

Picard has an English accent for the same reason Vizzini the Sicilian has an American accent. It's funnier that way.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:59 PM   #42
Mario de Monti
Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
... Vizzini the Sicilian ...
Old July 16 2013, 08:24 PM   #43
MacLeod
Admiral

Aside from the odd occasion it's not like they really made an issue of Picard being French.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 08:58 PM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Why should anybody in the 24th century speak with an accent even remotely resembling modern accents? Why is it when people who speak English intentionally speak in Klingon the universal translator misses it? Why do all the Klingons in Matter of Honor speak perfect English and why should they have to when Riker has a universal translator? How do aliens know so many human expressions but never inject expressions of their own origin into conversation?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:11 PM   #45
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Patrick could have done a French accent, and they could have written Picard as waxing eloquently on well known French events and historical figures while playing a little accordian. But if they had, I guarantee that right now we'd all be in a thread about Picard being a French stereotype.