TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 16 2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why French?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Picard's brother, nephew, sister-in-law, and that Louis guy were all French but spoke English - to each other! - in France! - with English accents.

That either means English has become Earth's primary language by the 24th century and the English accent spread out to the continent, or perhaps Picard was speaking French the whole time and the univeral translator gives him the accent.
Why would the UT give Picard an English accent?
Old July 16 2013, 05:15 AM   #17
Third Nacelle
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Picard's brother, nephew, sister-in-law, and that Louis guy were all French but spoke English - to each other! - in France! - with English accents.

That either means English has become Earth's primary language by the 24th century and the English accent spread out to the continent, or perhaps Picard was speaking French the whole time and the univeral translator gives him the accent.
Why would the UT give some random Cardassian or Romulan an English accent?
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:18 AM   #18
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Why would the UT give some random Cardassian or Romulan an English accent?
Hoshi Sato had an odd sense of humor.
Old July 16 2013, 05:42 AM   #19
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

No one ever realized that Hoshi programmed LinguaCode® synthesizers to give Vulcans Andorian accents.
Old July 16 2013, 10:17 AM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
mythme wrote: View Post
I'm sure this is addressed somewhere. Why was Picard conceived as being French. Why, once a English actor was cast, did he remain French? Why not recon the part to be British or even have Stewart use a fake French accent? Why the hardline push for Picard being French?
I think him trying to do a French accent would have been painful and terrible for everyone involved. To make the character BRITISH you'd have to at the very least give the character a new name and potentially change some other character details that may have been in the series bible. But, really, I'm not clear why. Those could all be hurdles, sure, but not impossible ones to get through. But it could just boil down to they liked the name Jean-Luc Picard for the name of the character and probably just assumed that sometime between "now" and "then" French people merge culturally (at least linguistically. I believe Data even says French is a "dead language") with Brittan. Once a unified Earth happened it's likely a LOT of cultural borders broke down especially if travel between countries and such became easier and faster (there may be something in a non-canon background about Picard having doing extensive schooling in England.)
The French are very proud of their culture and language, sure a lot can happen over the course of a few hundred years. Even today travel bewteen the UK and France is very easy. But take for example the recent EU-US trade talks, their was an exception made for Culture mainly to placate the French regarding Films and TV as some in France feel their culture is being overtaken by American and to a lesser extent British media.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 10:21 AM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

He should have used this accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNVU5ZjlgA
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Mario de Monti
Captain

To me the real question is, why no one in TNG - not even Picard himself - is able to pronounce his name properly
Old July 16 2013, 01:59 PM   #23
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Why was Picard conceived as being French. Why, once a English actor was cast, did he remain French?
Why not? Do all French people behave the same? Holy national stereotype, Batman.

even have Stewart use a fake French accent?
That would have been terrible.

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Indeed, Received Pronunciation is a legitimate magnet in today's world for those aspiring to speak English (...) And if I am not mistaken, it is the way that most Europeans are taught English.
You are not mistaken.
Old July 16 2013, 02:34 PM   #24
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

What would have been weird is Stewart performing Picard with a Yorkshire accent.
Old July 16 2013, 02:36 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

^^Well as least on the European mainland.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

What would have been weird is Stewart performing Picard with a Yorkshire accent.
Being a Shakesperean enthusiast, I would have loved in he spoke in Original Pronunciation.

To me the real question is, why no one in TNG - not even Picard himself - is able to pronounce his name properly.
Though I speak French very well, I was shocked when I heard proper pronunciation of his name, not just in French, but in German! Of course, I think I also associated him with the Picardy region (the d would be pronounced), even though he was from Eastern France.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 02:48 PM   #27
Pavonis
Commodore

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
To me the real question is, why no one in TNG - not even Picard himself - is able to pronounce his name properly
For us non-Europeans, what would the correct pronunciation be?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 02:56 PM   #28
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Italian voice actors also made a very good job at pronouncing it correctly, I think.

Eta: The final -d is silent.
Old July 16 2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

I always found it amusing that Riker said the name "Jean-Luc Picard" with more of a French accent than Picard himself used.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:18 PM   #30
Mario de Monti
Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
For us non-Europeans, what would the correct pronunciation be?
Well there are two things: In French a "d" at the end is usually silent. So it would be pronounced "Picar" rather than "Picard". The other is the "u" in Luc, which is difficult to convey, since this sound doesn´t exist in the English language. In German it is the letter "ü" or u-umlaut. I´m aware that doesn´t help much.