To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 17 2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Convention photo ops

I wouldn't pay for such. It's the most exploitative thing in the convention circuit, IMHO.

I've got photos of me back in my teens with a bunch of actors, from before they started doing these pay-for-them things.

Wouldn't pay more than $10-20 for such a thing, IMHO.

It's just... it's wrong to charge so much for such.

I can see a minimal fee like I said above, but nothing beyond it. More than a $20 and it's really silly, when you think about it, to pay such for a photo of you with someone.

I dunno, that's me. *shrug*

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:04 AM   #17
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

That's the beauty of the system. It's not necessarily what it's worth, but what it's worth to you.

People spend money on all kinds of things I would never buy....
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 06:33 AM   #18
Captain_Koloth
Commander

That's sort of my point. It is worth it to me. My intention was more to find out what other people's experiences have been with it rather than to start a philosophical discussion on whether it costs too much. Though it probably does in some objective sense.
Captain_Koloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 07:24 AM   #19
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
I've got photos of me back in my teens with a bunch of actors, from before they started doing these pay-for-them things.
Me, too. And free autographs! I can remember my feelings when they started charging for those! I think photo ops could be see as expoitative, certainly bloody expensive. But then pretty much everything connected with Trek and fandom costs over the odds. I'm glad I was active in fandom in the old days when things weren't so bad.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 09:01 AM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Captain_Koloth wrote: View Post
That's sort of my point. It is worth it to me. My intention was more to find out what other people's experiences have been with it rather than to start a philosophical discussion on whether it costs too much. Though it probably does in some objective sense.
Only you can answer the question is it worthwhile to yourself. Perhaps the only way to find out how you feel about it is to spend the money on a having a photo taken and then see if you feel if it was worthwhile.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:38 AM   #21
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

If you don't want to wait in line for how ever long it is u can buy the vip(priority)ticket,i did this when I went to the Australian comic con(to see William shatner)got to see in less than 10 minutes(I was able to talk to him for a few minutes,i was able to be have priority for autographs and photos over the ones who just brought the normal tickets)It all depends if u want to spend money getting one and which actor you want.my money was well spent that weekend(I also mange to get Robert O'reilly(gowron)and J.G Hertzler(martok) autograph and signed photos.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:29 AM   #22
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Captain_Koloth wrote: View Post
I can't say about photo op experiences, because I've never paid for such. But I do have photos of myself with actors from before that horrible trend began. So I totally get wanting such.

If you have a particular favorite, or two or three? It could be worth it for that.

Without having been through that particular procedure though, I can tell you that the bigger a convention is, the more rushed, impersonal, and cattle-call like experience you're going to get.

I've been to small cons and big cons. And Vegas is a MEGA con. It's the grand-daddy big-time super-bowl convention.

Which means more than likely you'll be lucky to spend 15 seconds with the person, maybe 30 at the outset. Yes, you may get a hand-shake. A "nice to meet you" or something else. But you can sometimes get that from an autograph op too.

Really I don't know what to advise you to do other than this: go with your gut.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote