Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Show me a kaiju-giant robot film..

Cause there aren't any in live action...

Sure, there are literally HUNDREDS of episodes of ultraman type shows battling alien hordes, animated films, Voltron, etc, but the genre in live action doesn't exist, Pacific Rim is a first. It's it's own genre.

There's a CGI film with robots vs monsters though I forget the name. There's Robot Jox, but no monsters, and it was cheap. Jet Jaguar in Godzilla sort of qualifies, but Godzilla is the star of the movie. Same with Mechagodzilla and Mecha-Kong. Infra-Man is a cyborg.

RAMA
Old July 7 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Show me a kaiju-giant robot film..

RAMA wrote: View Post
Cause there aren't any in live action...

Sure, there are literally HUNDREDS of episodes of ultraman type shows battling alien hordes, animated films, Voltron, etc, but the genre in live action doesn't exist, Pacific Rim is a first. It's it's own genre.

There's a CGI film with robots vs monsters though I forget the name. There's Robot Jox, but no monsters, and it was cheap. Jet Jaguar in Godzilla sort of qualifies, but Godzilla is the star of the movie. Same with Mechagodzilla and Mecha-Kong. Infra-Man is a cyborg.

RAMA
never mind.....
Old July 7 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Great, you edited your post so now none of mine made any sense.

Last edited by DalekJim; July 7 2013 at 03:25 PM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

So the question is, are there any live-action kaiju-vs.-mecha motion pictures, other than Pacific Rim, in which the mecha (and their operators) are treated as the "stars" rather than the kaiju?

Well, the two Power Rangers feature films seem the clearest examples. And of course in Japan the Super Sentai franchise, from which PR is adapted, releases movies fairly regularly, usually featuring crossovers between Sentai teams from different TV seasons.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

There probably will be a lot of "Power Ranger" comments directed at Pacific Rim.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
lennier1
Commodore

Usually when mecha material is adapted for live action you either end up with toy commercials like the Power Rangers movies or something like G-Saviour, a piece of shit that's so bad the people responsible for it shouldn't even be allowed to work on soap operas or dog food commercials.

The only decent Japanese attempt that comes to mind is an international project to adapt the old Gaiking anime, but that's stuck in development hell:
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Konata Izumi
Commander

Does the Japanese Spider-Man include this?
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^The question is about movies. There was never a feature-length version of Supaidaaman.

Old July 7 2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot. TV show, not a film, but close enough.
Old July 8 2013, 08:18 AM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I think This proves my point... Not only is there No kaiju-robot movie genre but there are no Western movies and rare series within the genre. Far from being unoriginal, Pacific Rim is a first!
Old July 8 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
RAMA
Vice Admiral

THE CGI movie I was thinking about was actually a short film called Negadon. It's modern animation with a retro 60s feel.

RAMA
Old July 8 2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Johnny Sokko was awesome.
Old July 8 2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Avon
Fleet Captain

Robot Jox

pacific rim doesn't look so firstly with mecha pilots.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

^RAMA mentioned Robot Jox in the first post. It's mecha vs. mecha, not mecha vs. kaiju, so it doesn't fit the category under discussion here.

I rewatched Robot Jox just recently. It's an interesting film, with a script by SF great Joe Haldeman (I gather the director dumbed it down a lot from what Haldeman wanted, but there's still some intelligence there).

Old July 8 2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Avon
Fleet Captain

^gary graham appears in the weirdest stuff. i like it. not really for the story, but the stop-motion robots are cool. and some of godzillas enemies were giant robot creatures, so its close enough. i reckon G Gundam stole lots from that film.

giant robots fighting giant monsters has been done many times. just because a western film hasn't depicted it before doesn't make it original and mean you get to discount them purely for being japanese.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote