Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 21 2013, 09:59 PM   #31
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...

Warped9 wrote: View Post

And think, too, about even TOS' action oriented stories. "The Doomsday Machine" is one of TOS' finest moments, but what really makes the episode so good? Same with "Balance Of Terror" or "The Ultimate Computer" or pretty much any others. It isn't the action and f/x that make the episodes really good although they do flavour the whole. It is the character interactions that really make them shine.
I remember that when G4 showed TOS for awhile, they allowed comments posted on the screen. I would see these comments were from youngsters. They would say "go music" and during the destruction of the Doomsday Machines innards "Wow."

This was the reaction that kids (even jaded ones brought up on nice CGI visuals) had to good production values, good music, etc.

Now they get it, I said to myself.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:27 AM   #32
MGagen
Captain

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...

Enterprise was a non-starter because of First Contact. As good a movie as it was, FC painted Trek into a corner. It simply can't be the origin story of the Star Trek we know and love.

As FC depicts it, humanity was just limping into space travel when it was contacted by Vulcans on home turf. It casts a pall over the whole idea of "going boldly where no man has gone before" because no matter where they went in Enterprise, the Vulcans had already been there. It became a case of "timidly going where everyone else has already been..."

I would have locked the Enterprise writers in a room for 24 hours with "The Cage" and Forbidden Planet running in a loop. Then we might have gotten the origin series that Trek deserves.

That said, the final season of Enterprise started to show some promise. Too little, too late.

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote