Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 13 2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: I'd Pay to See Kathryn Bigelow Direct Wonder Woman - Would You?

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
EDIT: Ok, I skimmed the article which pretty much lost my interest after "Any creature on screen minus a 'Y' chromosome tends to be a side player in this cinematic universe."

Why does this need to be a male vs female thing?
...because it is?

Even if one accepted your premise that directors are always hired based on their ability and no other factors (and I don't for the reasons Harvey cited), that quote is referring to the content of the movies. If superhero films are overwhelmingly concerned with their male characters, with almost exclusively male protagonists and very often dealing primarily with the male characters, then that is a way in which superhero films are gendered.

If you want to say it's a good thing or a neutral thing, then fine, whatever. But it is a thing, it is an observation that is empirically true.
Old July 13 2013, 11:31 PM   #17
marksound
Fleet Captain

It doesn't have to be a thing.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Kegg
Rear Admiral

But it is, and this conversation is (presumably) addressing that.

Wonder Woman or Black Widow films seem like the kind of obvious and yet curiously non-discussed routes for the two major franchises in terms of protagonist.
Old July 13 2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Dream
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
But it is, and this conversation is (presumably) addressing that.

Wonder Woman or Black Widow films seem like the kind of obvious and yet curiously non-discussed routes for the two major franchises in terms of protagonist.
Widow will be in the new Captain America movie.

I have no idea what WB plans to do with Wonder Woman. They've always seem embarrassed of the character.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:41 PM   #20
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
Which underlines my point, don't it. The one female superhero in the Marvel film universe can basically travel between franchises as a supporting player in different character's movies.
Old July 13 2013, 11:47 PM   #21
CaptainCanada
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
It's gonna be a challenge no matter who directs it. WW is just a hard character to make relatable to audiences-- she's an Amazon warrior from a hidden island that is ruled by women and somehow looks like Ancient Greece. And she's also got superpowers and can fly and/or pilot an invisible jet.

Somehow they'd have to find a way to get inside her head and make us truly understand her and what she's thinking, like MOS did with Superman. Or give her some kind of unique character arc like Marvel did with Thor, when he got knocked down a peg and work his way back up.

But I'm not really sure how.
Wonder Woman's mythos presents many problems, but the basic hook to the character, particularly in her first appearance, is really not that hard. Diana's a newcomer, who has long dreamed of exploring the wider world, which she's been sent to save. She believes in peace, justice, all that stuff -- not really that different from other superheroes.

Regarding the OP, Bigelow has some genre experience in the past, though at this point I'm not sure whether she's really interested in going back to that. But if she was interested in doing a Wonder Woman film adaptation, I'd see it.
Wonder Woman's been discussed ad nauseum. The WB just has no idea how to do it; but then, on the whole they've been pretty indecisive at actually producing superhero films.

A solo movie for Black Widow I suspect has been discussed. I know Johansson has made some random mentions about the idea in the past. So far Marvel hasn't really made any moves to spin any of the supporting heroes from The Avengers into their own films, but if RDJ isn't up for more Iron Man movies, that may create more spaces in their calendar to go that route.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:53 PM   #22
Dream
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman's mythos presents many problems, but the basic hook to the character, particularly in her first appearance, is really not that hard. Diana's a newcomer, who has long dreamed of exploring the wider world, which she's been sent to save. She believes in peace, justice, all that stuff -- not really that different from other superheroes.
If a lesser known Thor can succeed as a movie with his epic fantasy background, so can a more well known Wonder Woman.

Hell, we already have a decent animated Wonder Woman movie. WB could use that as a kind of model for a live action WW film.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:59 PM   #23
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
It doesn't have to be a thing.
But in the real world it is

OT: I would be interested in seeing her Wonder Woman.

And one way they should look at it is how WW's current title does it. Urban Fantasy. It's great.

That said, super hero movies seem to be a boys club.
Old July 14 2013, 12:00 AM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Part of the problem could be that the basic hook is a little too similar to Superman.
Old July 14 2013, 12:03 AM   #25
CaptainCanada
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Part of the problem could be that the basic hook is a little too similar to Superman.
...no, it's really not. Superman was born on Krypton, but he's functionally a Kansan. The world is foreign to him; he's of it. Diana's not.
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
OT: I would be interested in seeing her Wonder Woman.

And one way they should look at it is how WW's current title does it. Urban Fantasy. It's great.
I think the single-biggest difficulty in adapting Wonder Woman (apart from studios' anxiety around tentpole films starring women) is the lack of a real comics consensus on her mythos. Dating back to her creator, Diana's best runs have generally been very specific to the vision of the author (George Perez, Greg Rucka, etc.), and haven't had tremendous success in defining a status quo for others to use (Perez and Rucka were both followed by writers who immediately dismantled most of what they had focused on; or, in Rucka's case, he was compelled to do it himself). This results in things like the lack of a firm "home base" in the real world, almost no consistent supporting characters, and a rogue's gallery has plenty of potential but which has never been properly developed.*

There are other issues, of course, some of which relate to elements of Marston's original outline. For Marston it was critical that the Amazons were actually a civilization superior to our world, but there are a lot of creators this clearly rubs the wrong way (Geoff Johns and Bruce Timm, for instance); while others lean more toward making the Amazons more like the mythological Amazons.

* Gail Simone's run was particularly annoying in this regard, because I know for a fact that she read a very detailed fan overview of the pitfalls the past writers had fallen into with regard to handling Diana's villains. Pitfalls which her own run then fell into anyway.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; July 14 2013 at 12:14 AM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 12:10 AM   #26
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I'd love to see it - but I have doubts Kathryn Bigelow would even WANT to do it.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 12:31 AM   #27
JD
Admiral

I'm not familiar with Bigelow, as far as I know I don't think I've ever seen anything she's directed, but I love the idea of a woman directing a WW movie. It's not that I believe that only a woman could direct it, or anything, I just think it's a really cool idea.
Old July 14 2013, 01:24 AM   #28
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
If a lesser known Thor can succeed as a movie with his epic fantasy background, so can a more well known Wonder Woman.
I think that is exactly the problem with Wonder Woman. People like the general idea of a female protagonist superhero called Wonder Woman, but really they are pretty cold to the actual Wonder Woman character itself.

And there is a lot of stuff there that people don't like that is part of her character, which you can't toss out.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 01:29 AM   #29
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Like what? There's some basic stuff, Amazon, lasso maybe, but what's annoying and critical to the character?
Old July 14 2013, 01:42 AM   #30
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't follow superheroes much but I do find it utterly bizarre that we got a Green Lantern movie (who?) before there was a Wonder Woman movie, a character I'd actually heard of and has a degree of visibility. But then, apparently the superhero cinema playpen is restricted to guys as protagonists as much as it is, apparently, directors.
I really enjoyed the GL movie, but I agree it's kinda surprising that he of all characters got a movie before WW.

Hell, I would have expected to see a Flash or Supergirl movie before a GL one.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote