Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old December 28 2013, 12:08 AM   #811
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
My frustration is growing a bit with this book. His numbered referencing system has quite a few mistakes. eg : p. 84 - some quotes from Shatner are referenced as 156-8, but in the "Quote Index", that number doesn't even exist.

(Yeah I realise that very few would be as anal as me, and look to see where various bits of info came from, but still...someone has screwed up).

Again, it's a shame that such an impressive body of work developed over a long period has been let down by a rushed/sloppy editing job. Given that I am reading the second edition, it's unforgivable.
Sounds like I dodged a $40 bullet by not buying either edition.
Old December 28 2013, 03:05 AM   #812
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I am reading another book of this stripe, and the lack of an editor really stands out. Poor sentence structure, supposition masquerading as fact, typos... From my standpoint typos are the least of the sins because they're just mechanical mistakes, poor writing and inaccurate history for me are the more damning fault.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old December 28 2013, 03:22 AM   #813
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

My frustration is growing a bit with this book. His numbered referencing system has quite a few mistakes. eg : p. 84 - some quotes from Shatner are referenced as 156-8, but in the "Quote Index", that number doesn't even exist.
I noticed a lot of those.
Old December 28 2013, 05:05 AM   #814
Harvey
Admiral

As did I -- in the first edition. It is unbelievable that the second edition didn't fix them.

But, most of all, what Maurice said.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old December 28 2013, 05:30 AM   #815
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

p.95 : James Doohan is supposedly 35 when cast as Scotty in 1965. A quick look at IMDB shows he was born in 1920.

I've read enough now to give this book a big thumbs down. To present such a sloppy piece of work as a commercial endeavour is just disgraceful.

The second edition should be pulled as well - it's just so amateur, the publishers should be ashamed. It is clear that nobody edited this book at all. Just unacceptable for the expensive price.

I will continue to give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume he's been let down by the publishers. It's unlikely someone would put so much work into something and willingly allow it to be presented in this state.

BillJ wrote: View Post

Absolutely. This book is strictly for those curious about the memos/draft scripts/production history of each episode, and only at bargain bin prices. It's worth $10 max.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old December 28 2013, 07:13 AM   #816
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I will continue to give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume he's been let down by the publishers. It's unlikely someone would put so much work into something and willingly allow it to be presented in this state.
Except that effectively he's his own publisher.
Old December 28 2013, 08:22 AM   #817
Botany Bay
Commodore

Well if that's the case, he should be ashamed.

Just looked up their website...no contact us details.

Found a twitter account - have given them/him my thoughts.

I sincerely hope it's third tiime lucky for this project. TOS deserves such a detailed analysis, but, man it needs some polish.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old December 29 2013, 01:45 AM   #818
trevanian
Rear Admiral

p.95 : James Doohan is supposedly 35 when cast as Scotty in 1965. A quick look at IMDB shows he was born in 1920.

I've read enough now to give this book a big thumbs down. To present such a sloppy piece of work as a commercial endeavour is just disgraceful.

The second edition should be pulled as well - it's just so amateur, the publishers should be ashamed. It is clear that nobody edited this book at all. Just unacceptable for the expensive price.

Absolutely. This book is strictly for those curious about the memos/draft scripts/production history of each episode, and only at bargain bin prices. It's worth $10 max.
It'd be interesting to see if you posted that review on Amazon what the response would be. They seem to have about a 3 second lagtime when it comes to attacking folks who say something negative about the book.
Old December 29 2013, 02:24 AM   #819
Botany Bay
Commodore

Cheers - didn't think to do that - never left an Amazon review before, but just punched one out then.

Nice to see that "Gurian" gives it a five star, glowing review on Amazon.
Bob Justman, 1967.

Last edited by T'Bonz; January 13 2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old December 29 2013, 03:15 AM   #820
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

I have to say, I thought this was a terrific book: fascinating stuff about the scripting and rewriting process, the budget concerns and so on.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Old December 29 2013, 03:49 AM   #821
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't go that far - some of the interviews with directors, guest cast, and other crew where I'd never heard them talk about specific episodes before were quite enjoyable. It was interesting to have memos around certain budgets and the gestation of episodes. I enjoyed it regardless of the flaws. It was like getting a cast and crew text commentary for each episode.
Old December 29 2013, 02:06 PM   #822
Lee
Commander

I'm willing to tolerate a lot in what's apparently a self-published book, but this is too much. If such a simple fact is gotten wrong, then how can you trust anything in the book? If, for example, a person is quoted, and one word of the quote is wrong, it could result in the sentence having the opposite meaning of what was intended by the speaker.

This book has presented me with a real quandary, whether the good things are worth the problems. At this point my answer is no, it's not worth it. I won't be buying this book.
Old December 29 2013, 05:03 PM   #823
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Earlier I had read Jacobs Brown' site and interpreted them to be marketers/publicists for self-publishing authors. On closer inspection, I read that TATV is their "inaugural publication." The "comedic" nature of their staff page says a lot. It also says they have a SENIOR EDITOR?!

I still get the feel Cushman wrote and formatted edition one himself. Even the high price implies that to me (self-publishers anticipate low sales to committed people, thus often set a high price the open market really wouldn't bear). Now I'm not sure. If JB has been acting as a publisher, with editorial staff . . .

I take back a lot I laid on Cushman, then. Although, he is the one who went with a seemingly inept production crew. This book still seems print-on-demand (not available in stores, right?). But if Jacobs-Brown is attempting to do the job of publisher, then they need to create a good product. Many authors don't write so well grammatically. The author needs to get the facts right, but editing is one of the advantages of going with a publisher rather than self-publishing. (As a self-publisher I had to hire one and be real nice to my English major wife, my proofer.)

If JB were looking to impress future clients, I doubt their success. I'm gonna try for a bricks and mortar publisher again with book #2, and the first thing you do is spy on their previous efforts. It's your name that will be on the cover, after all.

Edit: If I self-publish again (I did christen my own imprint, after all, might as well get some more use of it) I am definitely naming my wife Legal Console. She tells me I really know how to push her buttons!

Last edited by plynch; December 29 2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo and later realization
Old December 29 2013, 05:16 PM   #824
Warped9
Admiral

It could well be that Cushman did the heavy lifting (research and such and writing) but was let down by the ones responsible for polishing it off. He basically went with the wrong team. Funny, though, that he couldn't have reread his own materiel and caught some of his own mistakes. Hell, I sometimes go over my own post a couple of times before I hit "submit." And even then I go back to re-edit moments later. And I do that with whatever I write be it long or short.

I still like the work, even with its mistakes, because it's a fun ride back in time to when TOS was new and the challenge and grind with the wins and losses of getting the show done. It's a welcome new perspective that does add to what we've gotten with The Making Of Star Trek and Inside Star Trek.
Old December 29 2013, 07:02 PM   #825
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

After reading this thread, my impression is that the book is probably an interesting read, but it's really just too slapdash to justify the price they're asking.