Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old December 5 2013, 11:37 PM   #736
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
Downplaying such an issue, in order to portray a false version of it in print, is deliberate misrepresentation, which is itself unethical.
While I really want to see what is in that book, I'm still not willing to spend money supporting something that is openly taking others work and monetizing it without permission and/or compensation.
Old December 6 2013, 12:11 AM   #737
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
)

Jerry Goldstone, a well-regarded TV director, was offered the job...But Goldstone had a 'scheduling conflict.' A man with no reputation could find one at Star Trek. An established reputation, however, could be ruined with a job like this. The search continued.
Does Inside Star Trek: The Real Story have anything to say about Goldstone's "scheduling conflict" being a lie? That rings false to me.
Holdonasec ... don't they mean JAMES Goldstone? Is this another typo, or are they talking about a director I've never heard of?
Old December 6 2013, 12:13 AM   #738
Harvey
Admiral

That's my mistake, I'm pretty sure.

Yep: my typo. I'll fix it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old December 6 2013, 12:35 AM   #739
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
Thanks guys for staying on top of these issues. I've been curious about this book and just lurking in the thread, with nothing really to add, but I fully support putting the spotlight on this sort of thing.

Right now I have only this to say, which cuts across a lot of fields.

Monetizing other people's work without attribution and without prior agreement is unethical, especially when there is no mystery behind who has added what to the product and when the manner of the monetization is known to be occurring over the objections of some of those contributors. The restoration of degraded images represents value-added work. While failures in proper attribution or in securing prior agreements might occur innocently for all sorts of reasons, how one comports oneself when made aware of the situation is itself a reflection of personal ethics. Downplaying such an issue, in order to portray a false version of it in print, is deliberate misrepresentation, which is itself unethical.
I agree with the sentiment entirely and furthermore greatly admire the language employed. (that's my trekbbs equivalent to the facebook 'like' function, I guess ... I'm only just now figuring out vagaries of social media.)
Old December 6 2013, 12:41 AM   #740
Maurice
Vice Admiral

More mushy history:
Desi had a better idea. He had watched the way live sitcoms from New York, such as The Honeymooners, were being shot before studio audiences...His idea was to use the same approach but substitute film cameras...
...I Love Lucy went on the air in October 1951.
The Honeymooners wasn't a sitcom in 1951, it was a recurring sketch on the DuMont network's Cavalcade of Stars and then on CBS's The Jackie Gleason Show. It only became a stand alone half hour comedy 5 years later.

Furthermore, it first appeared as a sketch on October 5, 1951, only 10 days before Lucy premiered.

As such, it couldn't have been a model for anything re Lucy.

Sure, maybe he meant to use The Honeymooners as an example of three camera video production, but the way he's written this it reads like that show was a model for Desi.

He also writes the title of the Desilu produced series The Lineup as Line Up

Sloppy, Sloppy. Sloppy.

Last edited by Maurice; December 6 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old December 6 2013, 01:03 AM   #741
Harvey
Admiral

If one wants to quibble with Cushman's television history...

Los Angeles contributed the filmed series, with The Lone Ranger being the first western, Dragnet the first cop show, and I Love Lucy the first sitcom, all shot on film.
The (television version) of the infamous Amos 'n Andy actually beat Lucy and Desi to the air by four months (June 21, 1951 vs. October 15, 1951). Andy filmed at Hal Roach Studios (in Culver City) using the three-camera method.

The claim about The Lone Ranger is mostly right. Hopalong Cassidy actually beat that series to the air, but Hopalong Cassidy was made of repurposed theatrical shorts until 1952, when it began filming new material.

Old December 6 2013, 02:22 AM   #742
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

It's like he's writing "common knowledge" off the cuff so often. I will say this, thanks to the kindle sample, I have a handle on GR's busy-ness as a writer pre-Trek. (Assuming the author is telling me the truth! Many small errors cast doubt on the big stuff.)
Old December 6 2013, 04:15 AM   #743
Harvey
Admiral

Those credits -- along with much of Cushman's chapter about Roddenberry -- are sourced straight from David Alexander's biography (as well as, to a lesser extent, Joel Engel's less sympathetic biography). Alexander's book is deeply flawed in many ways (it excuses and even takes delight in Roddenberry's flaws, but goes after his critics), but he did a good job accounting for all of Roddenberry's credits.

I haven't compared the two books, but I assume Cushman could get that much right. He generally knows a lot about Star Trek. The problem is that he (a) doesn't know a lot about tv/film history and (b) doesn't differentiate between speculation and established fact.

Old December 6 2013, 04:49 AM   #744
SpHeRe31459
Commander

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Did they correct the mistake on the back cover that stated the episode "Sarek" was the first TNG episode to include a character from TOS, which they claimed linked the two series together?
That's certainly an error due to Cushman's own ego. He wrote the pitch for "Sarek" and he's mighty proud of it in the special features of the TNG Blu-ray content.
Old December 6 2013, 07:35 AM   #745
Maurice
Vice Admiral

He also wastes time on things like the history of NBC, which has little to do with the subject. He apparently got someone to copy edit, but he still needs and EDITOR with a mean blue pencil, and a fact checker.
Old December 6 2013, 08:16 AM   #746
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Here's the revised and expanded version of season 1. I'm still waiting for the Kindle version.

Neil
Is there going to be such? I want to read it but my days of physical book reading are done.

I got to read a sneak peak of this early on, as the editor/publisher wanted some feedback about it and so asked TrekCore. Should have given me a free copy too! But Adam our webmaster got one. He gets all the free stuff now!

Old December 6 2013, 09:34 AM   #747
Shaka Zulu
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think I really want this book...

But 40 bucks for the book plus another 25 bucks(!) for international shipping (to Canada) is on the steep side.
This is an independently made (most likely self-published) book not being sold through a big store (or big stores) and is therefore going to cost a lot of money. Did you think that the writer(s) were publishing this to be sold very cheaply?

At least the people behind it worked their tails off to get it out to the wider world-errors and all- unlike the lazy people at the official publishing company who seemed not to give a shit to be able to get the interviews with the people responsible for the original series published and archived in book form before most of them passed on.
Old December 6 2013, 01:41 PM   #748
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
He also wastes time on things like the history of NBC, which has little to do with the subject. He apparently got someone to copy edit, but he still needs and EDITOR with a mean blue pencil, and a fact checker.
That's one thing that's disappointing. Some of these issues are on things that really didn't need to be included in the book at all.
Old December 6 2013, 03:34 PM   #749
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think I really want this book...

But 40 bucks for the book plus another 25 bucks(!) for international shipping (to Canada) is on the steep side.
This is an independently made (most likely self-published) book not being sold through a big store (or big stores) and is therefore going to cost a lot of money. Did you think that the writer(s) were publishing this to be sold very cheaply?

At least the people behind it worked their tails off to get it out to the wider world-errors and all- unlike the lazy people at the official publishing company who seemed not to give a shit to be able to get the interviews with the people responsible for the original series published and archived in book form before most of them passed on.
I'll grant you that last part, because Pocket certainly had the opportunity as well as folks champing at the bit to do the interviews for some years and completely shined it on.

But if this was a genuine labor of love, I don't think the image rights issue would still be a factor. For his massive THE INVISIBLE ART matte painting book, Craig Barron had to get rights for ALL of the images, which I recall him telling me involved a combination of trading services to studios with the rights and shelling out nearly six figures himself ... that's not the publisher doing that, that's the author!

That's certainly an exceptional case, but with TREK, with all the interest down through decades, wouldn't it merit the same special consideration and effort, to be definitive and uncontestable?
Old December 6 2013, 03:57 PM   #750
Warped9
Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post
Here's the revised and expanded version of season 1. I'm still waiting for the Kindle version.

Neil
Is there going to be such? I want to read it but my days of physical book reading are done.

I got to read a sneak peak of this early on, as the editor/publisher wanted some feedback about it and so asked TrekCore. Should have given me a free copy too! But Adam our webmaster got one. He gets all the free stuff now!
Yes, there is a Kindle version at significantly reduced price.