The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old December 4 2013, 07:38 PM   #721
Harvey
Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Skimming the sample, the text still calls MGM "the biggest studio in Hollywood" in '63, and also hasn't fixed the erroneous credits it assigns Bob Justman. Seems less like it is "revised and expaned" than "properly proofread this time!" -- although I don't have the book in front of me at the moment to compare.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old December 4 2013, 07:40 PM   #722
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
It would be nice if I could download that to read on my iPad.
You should be able to read it through the Kindle iPad app.
Wow. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I thought I could only have an ebook through the iBook app. Thanks, I'll look it up.
Old December 5 2013, 02:16 AM   #723
SpHeRe31459
Captain

TowerPower wrote: View Post
The Kindle version is now available. You can preview several pages in the front of the book.
http://www.amazon.com/These-Are-Voya...dp/B00H2RPG8U/
Ahh much better price than before!
Old December 5 2013, 04:45 AM   #724
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
It would be nice if I could download that to read on my iPad.
You should be able to read it through the Kindle iPad app.
Wow. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I thought I could only have an ebook through the iBook app. Thanks, I'll look it up.
I prefer it to iBook. Not sure why. Our library has kindle ebooks and they download and work very smoothly on the app.
Old December 5 2013, 06:19 AM   #725
Indysolo
Commodore

Thanks for the tip about the Kindle version. I just bought it.
Old December 5 2013, 06:24 AM   #726
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Skimming the sample, the text still calls MGM "the biggest studio in Hollywood" in '63, and also hasn't fixed the erroneous credits it assigns Bob Justman. Seems less like it is "revised and expaned" than "properly proofread this time!" -- although I don't have the book in front of me at the moment to compare.
Reading the sample pages, many of the the editorial choices remain peculiar, like the weird non sequitur about about Bill Gates, the pointless reference to Theiss being gay (what does that have to do with the subject, even if Fontana said it...or does it become an issue later?), and the unchallenged quotes of actors re Spock for the first pilot being an unemotional character when clearly he was not written as such until the second. Also, there's the statement about Lucy when she was told Star Trek wasn't about a USO show, "Lucy was speechless." Really? Says who? It's not treated as a quote. Did Solow say that? Or is the author inferring/imagining...again?

Also, untrue hyperbole and unsupported statements like the gem that Roddenberry would "change the course of network television". Um...how? Networks did not change their approach because of Star Trek, and no Star Trek series ever ran on a network again until UPN, which went kaput. Seriously, man, this is very poor work for a supposed historical text.

The Author's Note does address the photo crediting issue somewhat obliquely, but doesn't indicate if they ever got permission to use said photos from those who restored them.

Last edited by Maurice; December 5 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old December 5 2013, 06:37 AM   #727
Warped9
Admiral

Downloaded the app and the book. Should be interesting as I've never read a book on my iPad before. If nothing else the pictures look better. The price is also a lot more appealing.

That said I can see getting certain kinds of books this way, but other books I would still prefer the old-fashioned in-hand kind printed on paper.
Old December 5 2013, 05:05 PM   #728
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Did they correct the mistake on the back cover that stated the episode "Sarek" was the first TNG episode to include a character from TOS, which they claimed linked the two series together?
Old December 5 2013, 06:32 PM   #729
mb22
Commander

Is Jeff Bond still listed as "Jeff Bong" in the notes and bibliography?
Old December 5 2013, 07:55 PM   #730
Indysolo
Commodore

I hope not! He's been telling me to get this book since it's release. He's been a huge cheerleader for it!
Old December 5 2013, 08:24 PM   #731
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
The Kindle version is now available. You can preview several pages in the front of the book.
Half the price I paid two weeks ago. Oh well.
Old December 5 2013, 09:43 PM   #732
Harvey
Admiral

Slow day at work today, so I read through the sample pages more carefully. Some comments.

On the few instances when two fan sites either claimed credit for the restoration of an image or legal justification to contribute the image to this work, both sites have been listed.
As far as I know, the sample pages don't contain any of the images taken from Star Trek History. I would be interested to know which images now credit the site, and if any images have been removed from the second edition.

Of course, "few instances" underplays the whole issue, and makes it clear that Cushman knows about it. Happy to be corrected on this point, but as far as I know the publisher still hasn't sought permission from the two sources that were not "The Collector."

Some errors were also found in regard to copy editing.
More underplaying of the issue, although this revised edition appears to have been properly proofread.

Even before any of the lovers went public, the rumors were rampant and quite a few made it back to the network. It was a touchy subject in 1963, so much so that executives at MGM and NBC were nervously not seeing, not hearing and, except behind close doors, not speaking about these matters. Regardless, Roddenberry was assumed guilty with 'one strike' against him.
I'd like to know how Cushman knows what happened behind closed doors at MGM and NBC.

In 20 years of broadcasting, the network [NBC] had never aired anything even remotely resembling science fiction.
Cushman's point, that a sf program like Star Trek was pretty far afield from what NBC was broadcasting in the mid-1960s, is spot on, but this statement is far from accurate. Science fiction programs NBC aired include:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet (January to September, 1951 and December 1954 to June 1955)
Atom Squad (July 1953 to January 1954)
Commander Cody (a 1953 theatrical serial, was syndicated to television on NBC in 1955)
Operation Neptune (June to August, 1953)
Fireball XL5 (1963 - September 1965)

James Goldstone, a well-regarded TV director, was offered the job...But Goldstone had a 'scheduling conflict.' A man with no reputation could find one at Star Trek. An established reputation, however, could be ruined with a job like this. The search continued.
Does Inside Star Trek: The Real Story have anything to say about Goldstone's "scheduling conflict" being a lie? That rings false to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.

Last edited by Harvey; December 6 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old December 5 2013, 10:36 PM   #733
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

On Kindle sample, just found a typo, "Mr. Distract Attorney."
Old December 5 2013, 11:13 PM   #734
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Half the price I paid two weeks ago. Oh well.
Talk to Amazon, sometimes if the price drops drastically within a short time after a purchase (I think typically one month) they'll refund the difference.
Old December 5 2013, 11:27 PM   #735
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Thanks guys for staying on top of these issues. I've been curious about this book and just lurking in the thread, with nothing really to add, but I fully support putting the spotlight on this sort of thing.

Right now I have only this to say, which cuts across a lot of fields.

Monetizing other people's work without attribution and without prior agreement is unethical, especially when there is no mystery behind who has added what to the product and when the manner of the monetization is known to be occurring over the objections of some of those contributors. The restoration of degraded images represents value-added work. While failures in proper attribution or in securing prior agreements might occur innocently for all sorts of reasons, how one comports oneself when made aware of the situation is itself a reflection of personal ethics. Downplaying such an issue, in order to portray a false version of it in print, is deliberate misrepresentation, which is itself unethical.