Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old December 1 2013, 11:33 AM   #706
Joe_Atari
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Harvey wrote: View Post
Ignoring the provenance of the photograph on the cover (which I don't know)...
I almost hate to open this can of worms, but that photo does appear on birdofthegalaxy's Flickr page... Not sure who did the restoration or if any credit was given of course; just FWIW.

Also (and I'm so not fixated on this subject) that particular photo to me is the most obvious example of Shatner's hairpiece being visible on camera anywhere. The way the back is combed seems to clearly show the actual hairline, and the lighting makes the piece in front appear a different color. There's a thread in another section about Trek's forced perspective sets and how they were often shot from incorrect angles that spoiled the illusion; to my eye Shatner's hair was clearly not meant to be shot from this angle. Perhaps so early in the series they didn't know any better.

When I saw the revised cover, I recognized the photo immediately for that reason and thought, "They didn't really use that shot for the new cover, did they?" Honestly this book is so perplexing to me on so many levels (artistic, technical, factual, ethical, business, etc.) I can't figure out whether to buy it or not.

Last edited by Joe_Atari; December 1 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old December 1 2013, 03:47 PM   #707
Forbin
Admiral

Holy crap, I'm not buying it again.
Old December 1 2013, 06:43 PM   #708
Harvey
Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
I just bought the revised version on Amazon... we'll see what got fixed!
Since you've already bought it, let us know. I won't be picking it up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old December 1 2013, 08:47 PM   #709
Warped9
Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
I just bought the revised version on Amazon... we'll see what got fixed!
I, too, would like to know what is different. Do the revisions go beyond typos and grammar such as factual corrections? And if expanded then what's been added?

I have to say that despite its issues I quite enjoyed the first volume overall. The revised edition is also a paperback, perhaps to save costs. Will the forthcoming Seasons 2 and 3 be paperbacks as well?
Old December 2 2013, 03:20 AM   #710
Bumbles861
Admiral

Despite the issues, I enjoyed the first release as well and don't see myself buying it again.
Old December 2 2013, 05:49 PM   #711
TowerPower
Commander

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Here's the revised and expanded version of season 1. I'm still waiting for the Kindle version.

Neil
I also just ordered the updated edition. Receive date is Dec 17/18. Interested to see what has changed.
Old December 3 2013, 06:03 PM   #712
AtoZ
Commander

Having followed this thread from the beginning, and having learned of the new series of books and the surprising amount of editorial errors (not to mention the borderline call on ethical practices) behind the first edition released, I have to wonder if Trek BBS will/is serving as editor-in -chief for the revised edition set to be released.

I knew more about TOS than anybody I had ever met face-to-face, growing up. I still retain most of that knowledge four decades later. But I have to admit, I am literally blown away by the knowledge and writing ability (and obvious intelligence) some of you that participate in this forum regularly demonstrate. The love for Trek bleeds through, even when critical thinking and conjecture is at play.

If I were the guy that released that 1st edition, knowing the following TOS has, I'd be sniffing every available forum just after its release, knowing that the knowledgeable life-long fan base would be at work reviewing it and bringing to light any errors, aside from any satisfaction I'd be looking to derive from the effort.

Far as I'm concerned, I'd bet that you all ARE acting as a clean-up crew of sorts if this guy IS actively digesting feedback on the errors and looking to correct matters for the re-release. And of course, there will be no credit handed out....which is commensurate with the whole picture-usage-thing so correctly pointed out earlier in this thread.
Old December 3 2013, 06:09 PM   #713
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I've noticed a couple odd typos and non-memo underlinings in the text that seemed to come out of nowhere and be accidental. As for the Trek-history errors I'd have to rely on those previously stated by members here. At this point between the Poe/Justman/Solow/Gerrold works I feel like I've read 4 different versions of how certain things happened and now this one with a lot of input by John DF Black.
Old December 3 2013, 06:57 PM   #714
Warped9
Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Having followed this thread from the beginning, and having learned of the new series of books and the surprising amount of editorial errors (not to mention the borderline call on ethical practices) behind the first edition released, I have to wonder if Trek BBS will/is serving as editor-in -chief for the revised edition set to be released.

I knew more about TOS than anybody I had ever met face-to-face, growing up. I still retain most of that knowledge four decades later. But I have to admit, I am literally blown away by the knowledge and writing ability (and obvious intelligence) some of you that participate in this forum regularly demonstrate. The love for Trek bleeds through, even when critical thinking and conjecture is at play.

If I were the guy that released that 1st edition, knowing the following TOS has, I'd be sniffing every available forum just after its release, knowing that the knowledgeable life-long fan base would be at work reviewing it and bringing to light any errors, aside from any satisfaction I'd be looking to derive from the effort.

Far as I'm concerned, I'd bet that you all ARE acting as a clean-up crew of sorts if this guy IS actively digesting feedback on the errors and looking to correct matters for the re-release. And of course, there will be no credit handed out....which is commensurate with the whole picture-usage-thing so correctly pointed out earlier in this thread.
Despite some flashpoints over the years I value coming to the TBBS to discuss or even just lurk with fellow fans. No, we don't always or often agree, but the wealth of information shared is amazing. I've even managed to become at least civil if not more friendly with a few individuals I used to argue with.
Old December 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #715
Forbin
Admiral

^That's an odd effect of having a fight with somebody - sometimes you end up understanding each other and maybe even liking each other. I've had it happen more than once on message boards.
Old December 4 2013, 05:44 PM   #716
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
Holy crap, I'm not buying it again.
And I, for one, am glad I didn't buy it the first time. The paperback was what I was waiting for in the first place.

Of course, I expected to have to wait a year, but whatever works.

I hope the books on seasons 2 and 3 are simply released this way.
Old December 4 2013, 05:57 PM   #717
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
The Starfleet Delta is a trademark, so CBS could crack down on them for that if they chose to.
The new cover isn't using the starfleet delta. It similar in appearance, but it's has clearly different proportions that the actual trademarked delta.
Old December 4 2013, 06:41 PM   #718
TowerPower
Commander

The Kindle version is now available. You can preview several pages in the front of the book.
http://www.amazon.com/These-Are-Voya...dp/B00H2RPG8U/
Old December 4 2013, 06:55 PM   #719
Warped9
Admiral

It would be nice if I could download that to read on my iPad.
Old December 4 2013, 07:36 PM   #720
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It would be nice if I could download that to read on my iPad.
You should be able to read it through the Kindle iPad app.