Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old September 27 2013, 03:43 PM   #586
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

davejames wrote: View Post
Thought it was cool seeing just how much of a difference Roddenberry made to the Space Seed script. After so many chapters devoted to Gene Coon and the magic he was working on the show, it was nice to see Roddenberry prove he still had some good ideas in him as well.

I just love his offhand suggestion that, instead of being common criminals who got shipped off to a penal colony, these people could maybe be dangerous, superhuman tyrants who had ruled much of the Earth. And it wasn't until his final script polish that the name Khan was used, or (according to Justman) that it became the great, streamlined classic it is today.

And I never really thought of it before, but it's clear that with episodes like this, Charlie X, and Balance of Terror that TOS did bottle episodes better than probably any other Trek series. In fact most of the time they don't even feel like bottle episodes (which you definitely can't say about many TNG eps).
Nice observation.
Old September 27 2013, 05:46 PM   #587
feek61
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Thought it was cool seeing just how much of a difference Roddenberry made to the Space Seed script. After so many chapters devoted to Gene Coon and the magic he was working on the show, it was nice to see Roddenberry prove he still had some good ideas in him as well.

I just love his offhand suggestion that, instead of being common criminals who got shipped off to a penal colony, these people could maybe be dangerous, superhuman tyrants who had ruled much of the Earth. And it wasn't until his final script polish that the name Khan was used, or (according to Justman) that it became the great, streamlined classic it is today.

And I never really thought of it before, but it's clear that with episodes like this, Charlie X, and Balance of Terror that TOS did bottle episodes better than probably any other Trek series. In fact most of the time they don't even feel like bottle episodes (which you definitely can't say about many TNG eps).
He did the same thing in "By Any Other Name" when D.C. Fontana was trying to come-up with a way the 4 Kelvins could take over and keep the entire crew under control. Roddenberry came up with the crew being reduced into those little styrofoam cube things which made the story work. I guess that will be in the next volume.
Old September 27 2013, 06:03 PM   #588
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah it's clear that while Roddenberry's original stories weren't always the best (Return of the Archons, Omega Glory, etc), he was damn good at fixing and tweaking other people's stories to make them work as best as possible on screen. And also with getting the most out of the limited resources they had.

Probably the biggest concern he seemed to have was with keeping the focus of the stories on Kirk and the main cast. It's amazing how many writers had problems doing something even as simple as that!
Old September 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #589
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

A friend of mine on facebook discussed this book with D.C. Fontana, who had this to say...

"Wait for the second edition,"

My friend also went on to say, "It seems Writer Marc Cushman gave Dorothy a review copy too late to incorporate her notes, and she spotted numerous factual errors that she expects to be corrected in the next edition."

I'm waiting until all 3 are released and e-versions are available.
Old September 27 2013, 07:21 PM   #590
Harvey
Admiral

Just finished the last touches to my review, which I'll be posting on my blog tomorrow.

In short, though, I have to agree with D.C. Fontana. Wait for the second edition, and hope that it addresses the book's many problems.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 27 2013, 08:27 PM   #591
Warped9
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Just finished the last touches to my review, which I'll be posting on my blog.
I look forward to reading it.

In short, though, I have to agree with D.C. Fontana. Wait for the second edition, and hope that it addresses the book's many problems.
I'm looking forward to Volume 2, but I'd pick up a revised edition of Vol. 1 only if it's at a really good price.
Old September 27 2013, 10:41 PM   #592
EnsignHarper
Commander

Any idea when Season 2 comes out?
Old September 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #593
feek61
Captain

Volume 2 is scheduled for a November release
Old September 27 2013, 11:16 PM   #594
davejames
Vice Admiral

Unless they inject a bunch of new commentary from D.C. Fontana, I'll probably skip the revised edition. I'm not enough of a perfectionist that I need every detail in the book to be absolutely perfect.
Old September 28 2013, 02:19 AM   #595
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

I'm looking forward to Volume 2, but I'd pick up a revised edition of Vol. 1 only if it's at a really good price.
Are they going to call it THESE ARE THE real VOYAGES, honest?
Old September 28 2013, 02:23 AM   #596
Warped9
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post

Are they going to call it THESE ARE THE real VOYAGES, honest?
Old September 28 2013, 06:35 PM   #597
Forbin
Admiral

"These are the Voyages, Remastered."
Old September 28 2013, 06:45 PM   #598
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

These Are the Voyages
Old September 28 2013, 08:39 PM   #599
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

If the proofreading remains as egregious as in the 1st run they could title it "These Air the Voygaes".

EDIT:

Speaking of that book, Harvey's review of it is up on the Star Trek Fact Check blog.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; September 29 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old September 29 2013, 06:46 PM   #600
davejames
Vice Admiral

It's a pretty fair critique, but for me the good in the book still far outweighs the bad. With such an immense project and with so much information to cover, I fully expect there will be the occasional factual error or instances where the author draws a conclusion or makes an assumption that isn't totally accurate.

Ultimately, as much as I may love it, we're talking about the making of a TV show here. It's not a history of the Civil War or the Lincoln presidency or anything.
Closed Thread