Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old September 18 2013, 03:14 AM   #556
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Masks work on Scooby Doo.
Old September 18 2013, 01:13 PM   #557
Forbin
Admiral

There was one M:I where they had to substitute one of their own agents for a woman to get at her boyfriend. I can't recall if it was Leslie Anne Warren or Linda Day, but they were "masked" to look like Elizabeth Ashley (who was smaller than either of them). The agent had to live with the boyfriend, make out with the boyfriend (and it was the 60s, so they never mentioned it going any further), and act well enough to duplicate the woman's nervous condition in group therapy. This undercover went on for weeks, supposedly, with no one noticing.

In another ep they were trying to convince the bad guy that a fountain-of-youth formula was real. They had Linda Day supposedly wear an old-age mask over her face, then a second mask of her natural face over the old age mask. She would make the outer the pretty face dissolve at a key moment to make the bad guy thing she'd suddenly aged, then she'd take the potion and make the age mask dissolve. I kept thinking, in real life all those masks would add an inch of thickness to her face!
Old September 18 2013, 06:01 PM   #558
davejames
Vice Admiral

It may be ridiculous as hell, but the mask thing on M:I is definitely a fun trick to watch them pull off, I can't deny that.
Old September 18 2013, 06:09 PM   #559
Warped9
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
It may be ridiculous as hell, but the mask thing on M:I is definitely a fun trick to watch them pull off, I can't deny that.
Yes, very true.
Old September 18 2013, 07:40 PM   #560
Warped9
Admiral

Anyone have any idea when Volume 2 of These Are The Voyages will be available?
Old September 18 2013, 09:10 PM   #561
davejames
Vice Admiral

I heard November sometime.

I got a tweet that Trekmovie is going to have an interview with Cushman sometime soon, so we'll probably hear a more concrete date then.
Old September 18 2013, 09:18 PM   #562
Harvey
Admiral

I wonder if they'll ask him about some of the more contentious issues surrounding the book, or if it will just be a softball piece?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 18 2013, 10:48 PM   #563
davejames
Vice Admiral

Frankly I'm more annoyed by the numerous typos than any of the supposed "issues" that have been raised.

You almost get the impression the book was copied and printed straight from his computer, without anyone even running a simple spellcheck on it. lol
Old September 18 2013, 11:07 PM   #564
Harvey
Admiral

Well, I still think the image reproduction issue is serious, but that may be entirely unknown to Cushman, and simply an issue with the publisher and "The Collector."

Besides that issue, however, the sections about 'The Alternative Factor' which I've highlighted (which appear to print supposition as if it were fact) are, I think, worth elaboration from the author.

There are other instances of the same thing (he reprints a Shatner story about Ellison that Ellison has flatly denied as if it were fact, too) that are worth discussing, too.

Of course, the typos are annoying, but I think they're a symptom of a broader problem with the book rather than the main issue: it wasn't professionally edited.

This is too bad, really, because I think the book has done something really well that Cushman hasn't gotten credit for: he's thoroughly gone through the secondary literature about Star Trek (memoirs, magazine articles, newspaper stories, etc.). It's too bad that the book isn't better put together, because the raw materials for something terrific are certainly there.

Old September 18 2013, 11:26 PM   #565
Warped9
Admiral

Ever more often I'm finding numerous typos in newspaper and magazine articles as well as online news reports and other items.
Old September 18 2013, 11:36 PM   #566
Harvey
Admiral

That may be the case, but this is easily one of the worst-edited nonfiction books I've ever read. And that doesn't just cover typos -- there are a lot of little factual errors, too, although most of them have nothing to do with Star Trek.

Then again, I haven't read many print-on-demand books before, although this one had a push behind it that made me anticipate a higher level of quality than we got.

Old September 19 2013, 01:56 AM   #567
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Mine is well-edited, give it a try! . (See signature below.)

But seriously, this is the well-deserved rep of self-published works. I hired an editor and had several more English major pairs of eyes proof-read (which is different from editing, though it sounds like the book in question needed both). As expensive as it is, and with the decent sales this book must get relative to most self-published ones, the dude could've hired an editor. But didn't. I would add cover designer too, btw.This publisher is more like a marketer for the self-designed book.

As for the author being clueless about the pics, that is highly unlikely. Authors of nonfiction have to tell publishers what pics to go get and license. And this book sounds author-designed and formatted, so it's really probably on him.
Old September 19 2013, 03:00 AM   #568
Forbin
Admiral

I just watched Conscience of the King, and having read the passage in the book, all I could see was Barbara Anderson's giant cold sore.
Old September 19 2013, 03:19 AM   #569
Harvey
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
But seriously, this is the well-deserved rep of self-published works. I hired an editor and had several more English major pairs of eyes proof-read (which is different from editing, though it sounds like the book in question needed both).
A few proofreaders would have cleaned up the typos (of which there are hundreds).

The book credits three editors. Unless the book was an utter disaster before they got their hands on it, it seems like they either didn't have much time to work with the author or just didn't care (or both).

I would add cover designer too, btw.
Believe it or not, the book had a cover designer, who was paid a portion of the funds raised on Kickstarter (the publisher raised a little under $12,000).

As for the author being clueless about the pics, that is highly unlikely. Authors of nonfiction have to tell publishers what pics to go get and license. And this book sounds author-designed and formatted, so it's really probably on him.
Interesting.

Old September 19 2013, 01:01 PM   #570
Forbin
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post

A few proofreaders would have cleaned up the typos (of which there are hundreds).
The one that slapped me in the face last night was "run the gambit of..." instead of "run the gamut of..." to describe a variety of things.
Closed Thread