New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old August 31 2013, 06:44 PM   #376
Harvey
Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

davejames wrote: View Post
Loved the story about the hiring of the old retired cinematographer who did "a little thing called Gone With The Wind."
That's a fun story, but it's straight out of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (which Cushman quotes from extensively). It's a shame he couldn't get an interview with Herb Solow to talk about some of the omissions and mistakes from that book.

-- Wow, The Cage cost the equivalent today of $4.6 million? And it wasn't even aired?
It was essentially broadcast in the form of 'The Menagerie.' Obviously, neither NBC nor Desilu wanted to waste all that money. Plus, it helped the production make their broadcast dates since they got two weeks of usable material out of one week of shooting.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 31 2013, 06:47 PM   #377
Warped9
Admiral

In these early episodes we're certainly not hearing anything about Shatner lording it over the secondary cast regulars or cutting their lines. Hell, Takei credits Shatner with infecting people with his enthusiasm and professionalism.

Nice to see that after the initial cost overruns they were hitting some episodes that were coming in under budget.

You also get a definite sense that most everyone really gave a damn about what they were doing even though they were working in a pressure cooker. Even with all those good intentions it's easy to see how some personalities might clash.
Old August 31 2013, 07:04 PM   #378
davejames
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
That's a fun story, but it's straight out of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (which Cushman quotes from extensively). It's a shame he couldn't get an interview with Herb Solow to talk about some of the omissions and mistakes from that book.
Yeah I've read that book, but it's been so long I don't remember a lot of the details anymore.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
You also get a definite sense that most everyone really gave a damn about what they were doing even though they were working in a pressure cooker. Even with all those good intentions it's easy to see how some personalities might clash.
Yeah with all the problems and headaches they encountered, it's kind of amazing the episodes came out looking (and working) as good as they did.

And it also becomes a lot more obvious why the series went downhill in the third season. Roddenberry and Coon had such a huge role in fixing and rewriting the scripts-- much of which went uncredited-- that once they left there just wasn't anybody around anymore to keep up the high quality.
Old August 31 2013, 07:31 PM   #379
Harvey
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And it also becomes a lot more obvious why the series went downhill in the third season. Roddenberry and Coon had such a huge role in fixing and rewriting the scripts-- much of which went uncredited-- that once they left there just wasn't anybody around anymore to keep up the high quality.
Not to mention D.C. Fontana, who became the script consultant late in the first season and continued in that role during the second season. To a lesser extent, John D.F. Black (early season one) and Steven Carabatsos (mid-season one) were also important to maintaining the consistency of the writing.

Has anyone else read the chapter on 'The Alternative Factor?' The author's conclusions there are rather damning towards NBC (and, to a lesser extent, the production staff), but his support for them is pretty lacking.

Basically, Cushman alleges that NBC forced a late re-write to the script eliminating the romance between Lt. Charlene Masters and Lazarus when Janet MacLachlan (an African-American actress) was cast in the role. This is plausible, I suppose, but there's hardly a smoking gun (or phaser) from which Cushman can make his case. He doesn't have an interview source making the claim, and the production documentation is far from conclusive.

Old August 31 2013, 08:08 PM   #380
Warped9
Admiral

^^ I haven't gotten there as I just finished reading about "Charlie X."
Old August 31 2013, 08:10 PM   #381
Harvey
Admiral

I'm curious what your reaction will be. To me, it reads like speculation being printed as fact, which bugs me.

Old August 31 2013, 08:13 PM   #382
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Wasn't the rewrite due to the Janet MacLachlan casting mentioned in Inside Star Trek as well? I've not been able to find my copy for over a year.
Old August 31 2013, 08:15 PM   #383
Harvey
Admiral

I don't think so. But, 99% sure isn't 100%. Let me check.

EDIT: The passage about Barrymore not showing up, on pages 200-201 of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, doesn't mention MacLachlan. She's also not in the book's index, although that portion of it isn't perfect (it doesn't, for example, list 'The Alternative Factor.')

Old August 31 2013, 08:19 PM   #384
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I think it was wise they cut the romance because it would've been another Marla Mcgivers weak-woman-who-endangers-everyone-because-she's-never-had-it-so-good character. Good riddance.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 31 2013, 08:23 PM   #385
Harvey
Admiral

The book quotes from a Roddenberry memo (which I've seen at UCLA) which says exactly that. But, Cushman determines that Roddenberry meant for the subplot to be taken out of 'Space Seed,' not 'The Alternative Factor,' because 'The Alternative Factor' was scheduled to film first.

Well, the Roddenberry memo doesn't actually say which episode should be changed (and is stored, as I remember, in the files for 'The Alternative Factor').

Cushman's conclusion really looks to me like a case of fitting the facts to an argument, rather than fitting an argument to the facts.

Old August 31 2013, 08:31 PM   #386
feek61
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
In these early episodes we're certainly not hearing anything about Shatner lording it over the secondary cast regulars or cutting their lines. Hell, Takei credits Shatner with infecting people with his enthusiasm and professionalism.
Well, maybe not with the cast but in "The Galileo Seven" section the actor who played Commissioner Ferries describes how he had never been on a set like Star Trek. He said that Shatner basically told him were to stand and what to do and even Shatner was the one yelling "Cut" in the middle of scenes. He was shocked at the control Shatner had and says that the director just went along which surprised him because he had worked with the director before. It's also why I believe the director of "Shore Leave" (Sparr) was not asked back because he didn't put up with Shatner's B.S. even though Justman thought that Sparr did a great job under trying circumstances (and I agree)
Old August 31 2013, 08:35 PM   #387
Harvey
Admiral

As I recall, that's not the only passage in the book that isn't complementary to Shatner asserting control of the set, although I don't have any page numbers in my notes.

I have to say, one of the most annoying things about the book is that it has no index. Although the chapters are mostly organized by episode, this still makes it pretty difficult to effectively use as a reference book (and, say, quickly look up pages where Shatner is mentioned).

Old August 31 2013, 09:11 PM   #388
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I notice a fair number of print on demand books exclude index pages. I suspect they do it to save costs.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 31 2013, 09:16 PM   #389
CrazyMatt
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post

As I recall, that's not the only passage in the book that isn't complementary to Shatner asserting control of the set, although I don't have any page numbers in my notes.
The book does mention the first scene in the bar in "Court Martial" where Shatner called "Cut!" because he felt he looked small next to the character 'Timothy.' He complained about this to director Marc Daniels, who then changed the set up to have 'Timothy' sitting down.

Another interesting heretofore unknown tidbit: The actor who played 'Timothy' says he was told by Daniels that he was a fellow starship captain--a peer, not a subordinate (despite the fact he was costumed in red and with only one stripe; how did Daniels not notice that?)--to Kirk. He thus played the scene as if he were an equal who's trying to intimidate Kirk. Only years later did he discover he was supposed to be a lieutenant. The actor was subsequently quoted as saying "lieutenants don't talk to captains like that!"
Old August 31 2013, 09:21 PM   #390
Harvey
Admiral

(RE: Maurice)

No doubt, although I'd happily exchange the book's quotations, summaries, and dull "assessments," which take up at least two pages for every episode (that's 58 pages of text) for an index. Especially for a book that uses the back cover to bill itself as both "the definitive history of the first Star Trek" and "the bible to Star Trek."

Closed Thread