A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old August 24 2013, 08:26 PM   #286
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

M wrote: View Post
stcanada29 wrote: View Post
To repeat what I've mentioned earlier, and those here with publishing experience should agree, a low res image taken from the web would be unusable if someone tried to use it in a book publishing project -- a high res version would have to be located at 600 dpi to 1200 dpi to make it appear crisp and well defined on a printed page.
Well, maybe I can help. I'm working in the graphic design business for a few years now, preparing images for high quality offset print every day. And I can assure you, images certainly don't have to be at such a high resolution to be printable. Most images which are only internet resolution (72 dpi) can be blown up to 300 dpi in Photoshop. Sure, many times they won't hold up when you print them very large in four colours. But if it's only black and white print and you only print them rather small, I don't see the problem. Believe me, from a technical point of view, it would be no problem whatsoever to take the images from startrekhistory.com, erase the watermark and scale them up to print size.
It does seem odd to me that a low res image can suddenly be transformed into hi res inside Photoshop - as I thought the details would have to be present in the photo in the first place. I know blurry images can not always be sharpened to look good - there just isn't enough detail in what one was given to begin with. Assuming it is possible then; doesn't that transformation of the pic qualify as a significant rework/restoration activity in itself? Possibly as significant as earlier restoration work? Can the new hi res image be considered a derivative work or transformative work? Can it be copyrighted or some form of new ownership rights assigned to it? (That was someone's argument earlier about startrekhistory's efforts.) If the photo went from 72 dpi to 300 dpi ... can the difference (approx. 228 dpi of total 300 dpi or approx. 75% be considered a result of the publishers rework?). Just throwing this out there, fellow Spock Grokkers. Like the "selling the clips by Lincoln" doesn't represent publishing concept was thrown out there -- which I don't believe is a valid conclusion.
Old August 24 2013, 08:26 PM   #287
Harvey
Admiral

The Star Trek History website appears in the book's bibliography section on p.545. This is only right, since the book quotes from interviews conducted by Star Trek History. The website is not acknowledged as a source of any of the images in the text, which are captioned "Courtesy of..." "The Collector" is credited for the vast majority of the images used in the book, although there are other names listed (a few images are courtesy Bob Justman, John D.F. Black, Mary Black, and other names of which I am not familiar).

The websites in the bibliography are (in the order the book lists them):

Star Trek Prop Authority (The website of "The Collector")
Memory Alpha
Startrek.com
Star Trek History
Orion Press' Unseen Elements Page

Although "The Collector" is listed in the book's acknowledgments (pg.vii-viii) there are no contributors, as far as I know, to Star Trek History listed on these two pages.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 24 2013, 08:36 PM   #288
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Star Trek History website appears in the book's bibliography section on p.545 .... The website is not acknowledged as a source of any of the images in the text
Actually, I just saw that startrekhistory is mentioned on P. 439 under a photo. It says "also on the internet courtesy Tom Redlaw and also startrekhistory.com". Perhaps they are credited elsewhere.
Old August 24 2013, 08:37 PM   #289
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I am not going to drill into the details and vagueries of how intellectual property copyrights are assigned and renewed (hello Mickey Mouse, whose films Copyright get extended ad nauseam), because to do so is diverting us from the real topic, which remains the ethics of the author and publisher in this matter.
OK, though I think the previous discussion cast some doubt on your earlier assertion that a sweeping statement like "CBS owns all the rights" is correct. And the distribution of the "copy" versus "original" film clip to define if publication occurred seems kind of dubious to me - like grasping at straws.
Frankly, your desperate attempts to cast doubt on every single assertion that might cast the book in a less then flattering light are the only grasping at straws I see here. I have no dog in this fight. Do you?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 24 2013, 08:49 PM   #290
stcanada29
Lieutenant

I am not going to drill into the details and vagueries of how intellectual property copyrights are assigned and renewed (hello Mickey Mouse, whose films Copyright get extended ad nauseam), because to do so is diverting us from the real topic, which remains the ethics of the author and publisher in this matter.
OK, though I think the previous discussion cast some doubt on your earlier assertion that a sweeping statement like "CBS owns all the rights" is correct. And the distribution of the "copy" versus "original" film clip to define if publication occurred seems kind of dubious to me - like grasping at straws.
Frankly, your desperate attempts to cast doubt on every single assertion that might cast the book in a less then flattering light are the only grasping at straws I see here. I have no dog in this fight. Do you?
To me it is your multimillion dollar lawyer's very careless statement about CBS owning everything that really seems like such a flippant, ill conceived statement. It really appeared ridiculous to me -- and all the website citations recently given here and just the general knowledge of a major overhaul of the copyright laws in the mid-70s stands to refute this. Yet you repeatedly profess to have 1000x more confidence in a clearly absurd assertion than the real research of others. That really looks like a desperate grasping at straws attempt on your part, in my opinion.
Old August 24 2013, 09:02 PM   #291
Harvey
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Star Trek History website appears in the book's bibliography section on p.545 .... The website is not acknowledged as a source of any of the images in the text
Actually, I just saw that startrekhistory is mentioned on P. 439 under a photo. It says "also on the internet courtesy Tom Redlaw and also startrekhistory.com". Perhaps they are credited elsewhere.
Just made it that far in the book (still finishing it). The full caption reads:

Return to 40 Acres (Courtesy of ["The Collector"]) (also on the internet courtesy Tom Redlaw and also startrekhistory.com)
Unless I'm mistaken, that's the only photo in the entire book that credits Star Trek History and/or Tom Redlaw (aka Birdofthegalaxy). Of course, the caption is sure to credit "The Collector" first.

Flipping ahead, there's an amusing photo citation on p.487 which simply says "trekbbs.com" That seems pretty lazy to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 24 2013, 09:22 PM   #292
Maurice
Vice Admiral

To me it is your multimillion dollar lawyer's very careless statement about CBS owning everything that really seems like such a flippant, ill conceived statement. It really appeared ridiculous to me -- and all the website citations recently given here and just the general knowledge of a major overhaul of the copyright laws in the mid-70s stands to refute this. Yet you repeatedly profess to have 1000x more confidence in a clearly absurd assertion than the real research of others. That really looks like a desperate grasping at straws attempt on your part, in my opinion.
Characterizing a professional opinion as "flippant, ill conceived" speaks for itself. I'm only interested in being factually correct. I'll let others here judge which argument here has appropriate weight without trying to tinge other's arguments in a pejorative light.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 24 2013, 09:34 PM   #293
Daddy Todd
Captain

Interestingly, you didn't answer the question. Are you the author, publisher, "The Collector" or acting on the behalf of one of more of them?
Old August 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #294
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I was just about to ask what several have asked upthread; so, point blank: stcanada29, who are you and what is your interest in defending the book?
Old August 24 2013, 10:01 PM   #295
Melakon
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
I was just about to ask what several have asked upthread; so, point blank: stcanada29, who are you and what is your interest in defending the book?
Yes, this has come up several times, and for some reason it's always pointedly avoided.
Old August 25 2013, 01:51 AM   #296
plynch
Commodore

I'll go first, just to be fair. I am a public educator with no connection to the book. Though I love TOS, this book sounds more in depth than I would like, though I really enjoyed ST365. I have written and self-published a book that used quotes, public domain photos and a licensed photo for the cover; I plan a second book that will be a book of quotes. Plus I teach civics and recently had a constitutional law class. So I find all the legal nuances interesting and worth bandying about.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it?
Old August 25 2013, 02:00 AM   #297
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Yes, this has come up several times, and for some reason it's always pointedly avoided.
*crickets*
Old August 25 2013, 02:16 AM   #298
plynch
Commodore

I am literally on my porch hearing crickets!
Old August 25 2013, 02:25 AM   #299
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen a cricket in years. I think the scorpions eat them.
Old August 25 2013, 02:34 AM   #300
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
I haven't seen a cricket in years. I think the scorpions eat them.
In today's society, a lot of crickets just fall through the cracks.
Closed Thread