Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 30 24.39%
A 35 28.46%
A- 15 12.20%
B+ 24 19.51%
B 7 5.69%
B- 2 1.63%
C+ 2 1.63%
C 1 0.81%
C- 1 0.81%
D+ 1 0.81%
D 1 0.81%
D- 3 2.44%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.81%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2013, 11:58 PM   #241
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

A+

It's the most fun movie I've seen since Avengers, at least. I enjoyed every single second of it and will probably go to see it again soon.
Old August 2 2013, 12:33 AM   #242
davejames
Vice Admiral

It's funny, I wasn't as blown away by the movie as others here were... but I still can't wait to own it on blu-ray and watch it again and again anyway.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 01:32 AM   #243
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think it's going to be one of those movies you'll always see playing on all the big tv's in stores like Bestbuy.
Old August 2 2013, 03:04 AM   #244
Mister Fandango
Captain

Pacific Rim has the biggest opening ever in China for Warner Bros., and a sequel is expected.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 05:03 AM   #245
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Already posted on the previous page.
Old August 2 2013, 06:45 AM   #246
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think it's going to be one of those movies you'll always see playing on all the big tv's in stores like Bestbuy.
And at Costco!
Old August 5 2013, 03:04 AM   #247
Snaploud
Admiral

There were a few things that bugged me about the movie:

-Apparently, at the end of the world, the major world governments are unwilling to fund both the Jaeger program and the wall of life at the same time.

-Why is the leader of the Jaeger program unwilling to try that one scientist's idea? Is he afraid to risk one guy's life while dealing the potential end of humanity?

-Why is the science department limited to just two guys in a lab? Shouldn't they at least have assistants? You shouldn't have to risk the life of your best theoretical physicist on your other scientist's latest project.

-How in the world is a Jaeger more powerful than high-yield explosives?

-Why did it take so long for the Jaegers to utilize sharp objects against flesh-creatures? Punching is really inefficient.

-We know that nuclear weapons work against these creatures. Why were none of the major governments willing to nuke a few of these things? A few nukes aren't going to cause nuclear winter. You could also just try combining a lot of conventional weapons to have the same impact. Sure, it might take 40,000 conventional bombs to equal the yield of a small nuclear bomb, but we're talking about the end of the world here.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:15 AM   #248
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
-Apparently, at the end of the world, the major world governments are unwilling to fund both the Jaeger program and the wall of life at the same time.
Only so much time, money, manpower and resources to go around.
Old August 5 2013, 03:35 AM   #249
Snaploud
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Only so much time, money, manpower and resources to go around.
Yeah, I'm not buying it. They had a surplus of men working on the wall, and there appeared to be plenty of people wandering around those cities not working on the wall of life. The material used to construct a few Jaegers is miniscule compared to that needed to build a "wall of life" around entire countries. As for money: we're talking about the end of the world here. They could just confiscate the resources or raise taxes if they're that strapped for cash.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:37 AM   #250
Mr Light
Admiral

If you laid underwater nuclear bomb mines around the portal, wouldn't that cause very little harm to the greater environment?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 06:06 AM   #251
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

There were a few things that bugged me about the movie:

They stopped funding the Jaeger program because the kaiju were destroying the Jaegers faster then they could build them. It probably wasn't a good decision, but do governments always make good decisions?

-Why is the science department limited to just two guys in a lab? Shouldn't they at least have assistants? You shouldn't have to risk the life of your best theoretical physicist on your other scientist's latest project.
We didn't see the Jaeger program at it's height, but at the end when it was no longer being funded. I'm sure they had a lot more scientists when they were actually being funded.

-How in the world is a Jaeger more powerful than high-yield explosives?
I think it was more that they didn't want to have to keep using nukes against the kaiju more then anything else.

-Why did it take so long for the Jaegers to utilize sharp objects against flesh-creatures? Punching is really inefficient.
The sword wasn't added to Gypsey Danger until before the battle where they used it, it seemed like only the Asian pilot even knew about it and kinda forgot about the upgrade until partway through the battle.

-We know that nuclear weapons work against these creatures. Why were none of the major governments willing to nuke a few of these things? A few nukes aren't going to cause nuclear winter. You could also just try combining a lot of conventional weapons to have the same impact. Sure, it might take 40,000 conventional bombs to equal the yield of a small nuclear bomb, but we're talking about the end of the world here.
Well they were nuking the kaiju at first, but constantly nuking kaiju that are near major cities is obviously something that the world's governments would probably want to stop doing as soon as they had a viable alternative.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 11:17 AM   #252
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
If you laid underwater nuclear bomb mines around the portal, wouldn't that cause very little harm to the greater environment?
It wouldn't be "devastating", no, but underwater sea-life is still susceptible to radiation so it would cause some damage I also suspect it'd cause tusnamis on the surface.
Old August 5 2013, 12:45 PM   #253
Mr Light
Admiral

I'd have to watch the movie again but I was under the impression that the portal wasn't very deep and was in semi-shallow water. Maybe that's my misconception...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:47 PM   #254
Mister Fandango
Captain

The Wall just didn't make any sense from the beginning. Even if it did manage to keep one out, they knew the portal would keep churning more and more out. I just don't understand the point of how anyone could have thought it was a good idea compared to countless other potential ideas. Hell, why not just gather up all the metals they wasted on the wall and dump it on top of the portal.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:51 PM   #255
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
The sword wasn't added to Gypsey Danger until before the battle where they used it, it seemed like only the Asian pilot even knew about it and kinda forgot about the upgrade until partway through the battle.

Doesn't help. After years of Rangers fighting the kaiju hand to hand, even using cargo containers as improvised brass knuckles (why does an armored fist need brass knuckles anyway?) and using cargo ships as improvised maces it took that long to try one of mankind's basic melee weapons?