Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 13 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: "Sharknado" from Syfy

I never even heard of this till last night. Why did Sciffy move their B-Movies from Saturday night? That sucks for me.

The best of these movies were Sharktopus and Megashark Versus Giant Octopus. I'd really like to see Sharktopus return in some sequels.
Old July 13 2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Redfern
Commodore

It's sad that "Mystery Science Theater 3000" is no more. (Yeah, I know there's RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic, but I particularly miss the 'Bots and the Satellite host segments which MST3K's successors lack.) Because this is the very stuff that was pure gold for the Best Brains crew!

Think about it, this could have been the perfect arrangement. One branch of SyFy finances these schlockfests,, but don't air them "as is". instead, have Best Brains "prepare" them first, riffing them to bits and broadcast THAT version. Being totally "in house", they wouldn't have the "rights" issues that forced them to stop showing certain episodes.

I'm sure someone will point out these movies are nort really "produced" by SyFy, not in full, anyway. They probably just negotiate a deal to air them rather than go "straight to DVD", so there could be "rights" issues down the road..

But "pre-riffed" would be about the only thing to make these flicks watchable.

I miss Tom Servo and Crow.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I never even heard of this till last night. Why did Sciffy move their B-Movies from Saturday night? That sucks for me.

The best of these movies were Sharktopus and Megashark Versus Giant Octopus. I'd really like to see Sharktopus return in some sequels.
My favorite is possibly WAR BIRDS. World War II fighter pilots vs. pterodactyls. Or maybe dragons. It wasn't quite clear.

WYVERN is fun, too. And, of course, FLU BIRD HORROR, written by TrekLit's own Tony Daniel.

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 13 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Redfern wrote: View Post
It's sad that "Mystery Science Theater 3000" is no more. (Yeah, I know there's RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic, but I particularly miss the 'Bots and the Satellite host segments which MST3K's successors lack.) Because this is the very stuff that was pure gold for the Best Brains crew!

Think about it, this could have been the perfect arrangement. One branch of SyFy finances these schlockfests,, but don't air them "as is". instead, have Best Brains "prepare" them first, riffing them to bits and broadcast THAT version. Being totally "in house", they wouldn't have the "rights" issues that forced them to stop showing certain episodes.

I'm sure someone will point out these movies are nort really "produced" by SyFy, not in full, anyway. They probably just negotiate a deal to air them rather than go "straight to DVD", so there could be "rights" issues down the road..

But "pre-riffed" would be about the only thing to make these flicks watchable.

I miss Tom Servo and Crow.

Sincerely,

Bill

Most of the movies MST3K riffed on were at least trying to be good in their own failed ways due to lack of money or talent or both. The Syfy/Asylum films are intentionally low-effort which isn't so fun IMO. Obviously, people do seem to enjoy these things but I feel like the butt of the joke watching most of them.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Yeah, riffing on films that are intentionally uber-cheesy isn't as funny as riffing on films that were made in earnest and that turned out cheesy.
Old July 13 2013, 06:11 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

Most of the movies MST3K riffed on were at least trying to be good in their own failed ways due to lack of money or talent or both. The Syfy/Asylum films are intentionally low-effort which isn't so fun IMO. Obviously, people do seem to enjoy these things but I feel like the butt of the joke watching most of them.
Drive-In monster movies are my comfort food. I find them very relaxing after a long day.

(FYI: Sharknado is on the front page of the NY POST today. Take that, Mansquito!)

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 13 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:42 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'll admit I want to see Atlantic Rim when it's available. Syfy's should've snagged that for this weekend.
Old July 14 2013, 08:41 AM   #23
Australis
Writer

This was even discussed on one of the Saturday B'fast shows here, with a long interview with the writer. Bizarre.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 10:16 AM   #24
RJDiogenes

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post

My favorite is possibly WAR BIRDS. World War II fighter pilots vs. pterodactyls. Or maybe dragons. It wasn't quite clear.

WYVERN is fun, too. And, of course, FLU BIRD HORROR, written by TrekLit's own Tony Daniel.
I don't remember War Birds. I'll have to check my thread at ReNext-- I do a little review of these films almost every week. I do remember Flu Bird Horror, though. I didn't know one of our people wrote it. Writing one of these things would be a blast (although watching how the final product turns out may not be ).
Old July 14 2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think WARBIRDS is coming up again in the next week or so.

Another noted sf writer, the late Jim Young, played Adolf Hitler's head in NAZIS AT THE CENTER OF THE EARTH . . . .
Old July 14 2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Warbirds wasn't bad by Syfy standards (damning with faint praise?), some effort seemed to be put into it.

That one with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson (mega something vs something) while maybe not good was entertaining at least (or maybe I'm just a fan of Tiffany's full figure....).
Old July 14 2013, 09:38 PM   #27
RJDiogenes

^^ That was Megapython Vs. Gatoroid and it was one of the better ones.

I looked up Warbirds and I don't think I've seen it.

Sharknado has its own section on On Demand now. Still haven't had a chance to watch it, though.
Old July 15 2013, 03:57 AM   #28
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

That movie idea kills brain cells just by reading it.
Old July 15 2013, 09:06 AM   #29
rafterman1701
Commodore

The MST3K guys were the only people on my twitter feed not watching this. These intentionally bad movies aren't worth riffing. They're soulless money grabs made very poorly. I'm merely speaking of the Asylum level junk. Sharknado was also just really dull.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Heh, the ratings must've done really well. I'm seeing this movie mentioned everywhere, typically SyFy/Asylum movies just fade out after airing, but, this one seems to be gaining momentum. Also, SyFy Channel BBS has a big red banner saying Sharknado2 is coming, and there's apparently a contest to name it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote