Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Which show did you like more?
Babylon 5 47 69.12%
Stargate SG-1 21 30.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13 2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Jan
Commodore

Re: POLL: Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1?

Mr Light wrote: View Post
He didn't write the Thor script, he was just a consultant. I believe Ashley Edward Miller wrote it.
JMS wrote:
Good news: I was brought on to help develop the Thor movie prior to Kenneth Branagh coming on as director. I wrote a detailed outline, and pushed the story toward its final form. Didn't know if I'd get an on-screen credit in its final form, but the final WGA credits just came in and I have a story credit, along with Mark Protosevich, who was on before I came in.
Screenplay credit went to Zack Stentz and Don Payne.

Curious to know what this refers to:

DalekJim wrote:
And now he's writing the script for the movie adaptation of one of my favourite comic book heroes. Not sure how to feel.
Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:01 PM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He's writing Shadowman.

Last edited by DalekJim; July 13 2013 at 04:44 PM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

I have a similar question when I watch both series:

Was Jesus a Vorlon?

Was Jesus a Goa'uld?

I guess both series had bills to pay, they couldn't state anything directly.
But it's funny having them both imply every other religion was aliens messing around with us......all but...one.

Anyway, I find Stargate a lot more "light" and Vanilla than Babylon 5. For the first few seasons it's Captain Sarcastic in space.
For the final few seasons its "What do we do without captain sarcastic....."
It can be funny though, with RDA's improvisations it feels like a straight sci-fi comedy sometimes, which is its strength rather than campy Alien overlords with their evil shiny eyes.

B5 is a lot deeper and requires a lot more attention. It's hard going sometimes, but the rewards are there if you drag yourself through some of the crap episodes.
Even when something seems standalone and boring, it usually comes back again to give you a pleasant feeling for sticking with it.
Old July 13 2013, 03:58 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

How is there not a page for Shadowman on Wikipedia? Amazing.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:18 PM   #35
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
How is there not a page for Shadowman on Wikipedia? Amazing.
Isn't this the Shadowman page on Wikipedia?

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post

Was Jesus a Vorlon?

Was Jesus a Goa'uld?
I'd have loved to see Kosh answer that question! Then, I'd love to see JMS, who is an Atheist, answer it. Despite (or perhaps because) of his Atheism, I feel that Babylon 5 is one of the most respectful sci-fi shows when it comes to religion. I often share how I connected to the show in the episode "TKO," when Ivanova's Rabbi comes to visit. After years of Star Trek and it's "We're too evolved for Religion," viewpoint, it was nice to see a show that acknowledged we're probably not going to eliminate religion in the next 200-300 years.

I also really liked the bits we got about Foundationalism. It makes sense a religion would spring up after we found out we were not alone in the universe. I also like how it takes bits from various religions and combines them.

I guess both series had bills to pay, they couldn't state anything directly.
But it's funny having them both imply every other religion was aliens messing around with us......all but...one.
I don't feel either show did that. It's been a while, but, I think the Goa'uld took on characteristics of the gods that were already existing.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:33 PM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 handled religion really well for a sci-fi show. NuBSG completely copped out with an unambiguous mess of a monotheistic "God did it!" ending, and Deep Space 9 made a virtue out of blind belief and devotion to a higher power in the final season.

Babylon 5 showed religion for what it was, a fact of society, and it wasn't glorified or demonised.
Old July 13 2013, 09:56 PM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

Religion like many things has a broad spectrum of levels of belief. From those who don't believe to those that have almost blind faith and devotion.

In DSN you could say it's a matter of perspective, the Vorta and the Jem'hadar are bred to believe that the Founders are gods. As for the Bajoran's they gods where just another advanced race. Who may or not be Bajoran.

As for B5 and the Vorolon's. Did't the Vorlon's manipulate the other races via in part Religon so that those races would act more favourably to them. When Kosh left his encounter suit most of the other races percieved him as an Angel(or their version of one)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 10:01 PM   #38
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
As for B5 and the Vorolon's. Did't the Vorlon's manipulate the other races via in part Religon so that those races would act more favourably to them.
Shamelessly stolen from the Bene Gesserit's Missionaria Protectiva from the masterful Frank Herbert's Dune.
Old July 13 2013, 10:22 PM   #39
Jan
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post

Was Jesus a Vorlon?

Was Jesus a Goa'uld?
I'd have loved to see Kosh answer that question! Then, I'd love to see JMS, who is an Atheist, answer it.
I can't find the quote at the moment but as I recall, JMS said that the Vorlons didn't appear as primary deity figures, only the equivalent of angels. So, G'Lan, not G'Quan; Valeria, not Valen. One thing JMS did say was that the Vorlons might have created that myth on some worlds but just exploited it in on others.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SG-1 by a hair.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:44 PM   #41
maneth
Captain

I love both, although if forced to pick one at gunpoint, I'd say Babylon 5. It's worth watching at least twice, because some events that are set up during season 1 happen in season 4! Admittedly it's a bit slow to get going in season 1 as all the characters and their cultures are introduced. Sadly season 5 is a bit flawed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it more than most other shows on TV, but it feels tacked-on, which is only fair given that they thought the show would be canceled after the 4th season for the longest time, and were forced to compress events that were intended for the 5th season into the fourth. The fourth season finale is IMO rather blah (the show finale was shot as the last episode of the 4th season).
Old July 14 2013, 07:54 PM   #42
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Was Jesus a Vorlon?
Probably not.

Neither Valen, G'Quan or G'kar were Vorlons.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 08:27 PM   #43
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I can't pick. If I had to pick or be cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, probably Stargate: SG-1, simply because there's more of it. But both are worth watching.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 09:57 PM   #44
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Both shows are great. I picked Babylon 5 because it was unique and innovative-- a five-season novel for television where each episode was a chapter that built toward a predetermined ending. SG-1 was a more traditional, straightforward adventure series, but it was top quality stuff-- definitely not fluff-- the stories, characters, drama, humor and world building were all terrific.
Old July 18 2013, 08:32 PM   #45
Dream
Admiral

My Stargate SG-1 complete set just arrived in mail. HOLY CRAP! THIS THING IS HEAVY! I have no doubt it could kill someone if it actual fell on top of somebody's head!

The packaging inside really sucks in terms holding dvds though, thankfully only one of the discs were loose, it was a special features one.

I will HAVE to buy a dvd/cd binder to hold all 54 dvds today, instead of keeping it in the paper box which could end up easily scratching the discs. I'll keep the box only for display purposes!

The ONLY thing I know about this show is that I remember catching the opening credits one time, and though the theme music for it was great.

I guess I'll have to decide which show to start first in the next few days...
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote