RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,858
Posts: 5,328,563
Members: 24,554
Currently online: 469
Newest member: Kastrol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Who would have won ultimately?
UFP 11 55.00%
Klingons 3 15.00%
Stalemate 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 15 2013, 07:15 PM   #46
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

But how much complexity is there to their cuisine?
Here's an example:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...ofhonor058.jpg

Being a Klingon chef is probably a position well suited for a brave warrior who knows his way around a sharp blade... Although being a Klingon gourmand might place an even greater demand for nerves (and stomachs) of steel!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 10:29 PM   #47
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Anwar wrote: View Post
jmampilly wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post

It's just that the Klingons we often see are the warriors and the particularly obsessed warriors at that. We've seen others, like Klingon scientists and lawyers and stuff. They're there, we just don't see them because the writers don't focus on them much.
In the Next Generation episode "Suspicions," Dr. Crusher talks about a Klingon scientist who is "defensive of her work, because her career choice isn't respected in Klingon society." ...This would indicate that yes, scientists exist, but they aren't respected in Klingon society.

As a result, the Klingon Empire should have inferior technology to the Federation, given that it doesn't have many scientists.
No one looked down on the Klingon Chef, or the Klingon Lawyer, or the Klingon Opera Singers either.

Maybe it was just her particular research that wasn't respected.
Have we seen the klingon chef or the klingon lawyer actually interact with other klingons in a non-formal situation? For all we know, they're routinely being spit upon.
As for the klingon scientist, she's "defensive of her work, because her career choice isn't respected in Klingon society.". The career choice isn't respected, not a particular research.
Klingons do seem to love opera (and, presumably, opera singers), though.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; July 15 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 10:53 PM   #48
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

But does the profession of opera singer exist? Or is every Klingon rather supposed to be one?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 11:08 PM   #49
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

^Only if the acoustics are favorable.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 11:17 PM   #50
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Timo wrote: View Post
But how much complexity is there to their cuisine?
Here's an example:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...ofhonor058.jpg

Being a Klingon chef is probably a position well suited for a brave warrior who knows his way around a sharp blade... Although being a Klingon gourmand might place an even greater demand for nerves (and stomachs) of steel!

Timo Saloniemi

Well it is said an Army marches on it's stomach.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:22 AM   #51
FKnight
Commander
 
FKnight's Avatar
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Alternate timelines aside, isn't it already ridiculous to compare a war started in 2372 with one started in the 2340s, even in the same timeline?
__________________
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:28 AM   #52
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

I don't think so. Starfleet uses ships for decades, and their primary technologies aren't much different from the 23rd to the 24th century, so the comparison is not as radically different as comparing, say, 1910s tech to 1940s tech. Since we're always data-limited in Star Trek, we have to use what little is shown.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:22 AM   #53
FKnight
Commander
 
FKnight's Avatar
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Starfleet uses ships for decades, and their primary technologies aren't much different from the 23rd to the 24th century, so the comparison is not as radically different as comparing, say, 1910s tech to 1940s tech. Since we're always data-limited in Star Trek, we have to use what little is shown.
But what ships they use isn't the only thing that determines the outcome of a war. There would be a different set of Klingon generals, a different set of Starfleet brass, different strategies discussed and executed, different objectives, and an entirely different set of political leaders. There's an almost 30 year difference and a lot of things have happened in between. The military hardware is but a small part of the equation.
__________________
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:31 AM   #54
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

I don't think the generals and admirals would be significantly different. I suspect K'mpec would be the leader in the alternate timeline, using the war with the Federation to distract the various factions in the Empire from fighting each other. And I think that since Picard, Riker, LaForge, Data, and the Crushers have the exact same positions in both timelines suggests that little else is changed. If the war timeline were radically different, I'd expect an Admiral Picard commanding fleets, with Captains Riker and Data commanding ships and a Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander Wes Crusher leading troops at the front. The E-D would look more like the Defiant and less like an exploration vessel. If I'm going to be convinced that the war timeline is radically different I need to understand how everything but the Enterprise is changed so much. I understand why it is not different production-wise, but not in-universe.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:38 AM   #55
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

The E-D would look more like the Defiant and less like an exploration vessel.
Not necessarily. IN YE, I believe it is mentioned that E-D doubled as both a warship and a transport for troops. It is odd that some believe the Galaxy classes were push overs. They weren't though, and indeed were state of the art through the entire run of TNG, and well into DS9. Regardless of what timeline you talk about, they could be fielded as very powerful warships. In the YE timeline, while very few actual differences exist, they were configured to be geared towards war more than exploration.

Even in the prime universe, the Galaxy class ships were the most powerful Fed ships at the time of their construction, and still were as of Season 3. By 2372, Galaxies still were capital ships and while maybe a Sovereign class could possibly take out a Galaxy, it would have been marginally, AND would depend on who was captain of each ship, too. Not to mention, there were undoubtedly more Galaxy class ships in 2372 than Sovereigns....point being Galaxy class ships were still the main heavy hitter in Starfleet in 2372.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:44 AM   #56
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

The Galaxies were developed in peace time as mobile cities in space. Such an exploration vessel wouldn't be developed by a society at war. The fact that they acquitted themselves decently in battle against the Dominion doesn't mean that they're an ideal warship design. The further fact that the Galaxy was built and used in the war timeline says that the timelines aren't as different as they appear to be.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:57 AM   #57
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
The Galaxies were developed in peace time as mobile cities in space. Such an exploration vessel wouldn't be developed by a society at war. The fact that they acquitted themselves decently in battle against the Dominion doesn't mean that they're an ideal warship design. The further fact that the Galaxy was built and used in the war timeline says that the timelines aren't as different as they appear to be.
I disagree. They were very ideal platforms for warships.

They may have been geared towards exploration, but that was the configuration they had during peace time. They had state of the art tech AND lots of real estate. In war time, with very few mods, not only could they be the big heavies in a fight, they could also be used as troop transports, configured for additional torpedo and phaser arrays (IE ALL good things, anyone?), possibly even as aircraft carriers of sorts for smaller fighter class ships.

In fact, I would say that probably the only Federation ship capable of taking down a Galaxy class, would be a Sovereign, and even then it would be close.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 02:26 PM   #58
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

I would think that Galaxies have too many windows to be a warship and, ergo, too many hull vulnerabilities if shields came down and easier for a hull breach to occur. If they cut down on the number of windows on the YE E-D, then yes, I could see it as a decent battle platform.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:03 PM   #59
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

If the shields went down, it didn't matter how tough the hull was. They didn't come up with armor tough enough to survive without shields until years after the Galaxy class.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:18 PM   #60
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

True, but several thick layers of duranium/tritanium may buy you a couple extra seconds over no more than 2 layers of transparent aluminum to vacate the area before it ventilated from being carved.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.