RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,392
Posts: 5,358,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 552
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Who would have won ultimately?
UFP 11 55.00%
Klingons 3 15.00%
Stalemate 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 12 2013, 10:51 PM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

jmampilly wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
In the "Yesterday's Enterprise" alternate timeline, the Klingons were kicking Starfleet's ass. That would suggest the Klingons are capable of defeating the UFP militarily.
This was why I chose Klingons as the victor in such a conflict, although I do appear to be in the minority at present.
The problem is the lack of details. We know nothing of the actual war in "Yesterday's Enterprise."

In DS9, the Martok Changeling seemed to believe that the Federation would eventually get its act together and push the Klingons back into their own territory. Also, in "The Way of the Warrior," a task force of nine starships seemed to pose a serious threat to several dozen Klingon warships.
Wasn't it only six starships led by the Venture?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Yeah, I thought it was six ships, but either way it's a task force backing up the station, which was still capable of putting up a fight. The Klingon reinforcements weren't going to arrive in time to assist against Starfleet reinforcements. They were only fighting to get the Detapa Council; Gowron decided they weren't worth the effort.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:07 AM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

True, but you are taking fresh ships, the Klingon vessels had been in combat for a while. And the stations defences were holding up well.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
In the "Yesterday's Enterprise" alternate timeline, the Klingons were kicking Starfleet's ass. That would suggest the Klingons are capable of defeating the UFP militarily.
Not necessarily. Different timeline means different sequence of events. We have no way of knowing if other key players in the normal timeline were present in the darker future we saw. Even a small change could have far-reaching consequences.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Different timeline, but the same resources. Both Starfleet and the KDF were fielding the same ships in battle. Three of the big BOPs were a match for a Galaxy.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:01 AM   #21
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Different timeline, but the same resources. Both Starfleet and the KDF were fielding the same ships in battle. Three of the big BOPs were a match for a Galaxy.
The problem with this thinking is that it assumes the resources are being utilized in the same way. That the Federation was getting its butt kicked by the Klingons in an alternate timeline has no bearing on the events of the primary timeline. Even change of the smallest degree could have broad implications in the creation of a new temporal events sequence.

The trouble is that we know little or nothing of the sequence in question. We're shown only the events of "Yesterday's Enterprise." Picard indicates that Starfleet is on the verge of surrendering, but we know little of how things got to that point. One cannot assume that every individual who played a key role in shaping the Federation in the primary timeline would have the same role in the alternate timeline. The Enterprise-D is but a single vessel. We have no way of knowing what the Federation as a whole looks like beyond the fact that it's losing the war.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:13 AM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

^Having given further thought to this matter, there's a line from "Yesterday's Enterprise" that's always puzzled me. I'm referring to Tasha Yar's statement that the Enterprise-D "was the first Galaxy-class ship built by the Federation." That can't be, can it?

I'm assuming that the line was included by mistake, but suppose it wasn't. Does this mean that the naming schemes for vessels are different in this timeline? Does it mean that the USS Galaxy was partially constructed but abandoned in favor of Enterprise?

In any case, there's no way to know exactly when the Galaxy-class ships were first put into service: assuming that they would have been space-ready at the same point that they were in the primary universe isn't something that can be proven one way or the other. My point in saying this is reiterate that we must consider the events of the alternate timeline independently of those happening in the primary timeline when trying to determine who would prevail in a military conflict, especially when we don't have enough information about one of the timelines.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:46 AM   #23
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

My point is that the YE episode doesn't depict a radically different timeline. Perhaps it should have, but the producers couldn't afford to build all new sets and models and cast all new people in the episode. So we see a Picard commanding an Enterprise despite the alternate events of the timeline. If the events of the YE timeline lead to Picard et al. aboard the Big-E, how can we expect that everything else is radically different?

Sometimes small changes might generate wildly different results, but sometimes those small changes actually damp out. Given the rest of the episode depicts almost no differences between the timelines, I think it makes sense to think the Klingons of YE are not much different than the ones in the prime timeline. Therefore YE suggests the KDF could whip Starfleet in a prolonged war.

Last edited by Pavonis; July 13 2013 at 02:59 AM.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:02 AM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
My point is that the YE episode doesn't depict a radically different timeline.
Doesn't it? That the Federation finds itself embroiled in a two-decade-old conflict that it would not have been otherwise is a big deal. In any case, I stand by my original point that we have so little information about the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline that it's impossible to draw any conclusions about the timeline or about how those events relate to anything that happened in the primary universe.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:48 AM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

So the timeline is radically different, but somehow the Enterprise is exactly the same. How does that work?

As for drawing conclusions, there's plenty of data from which to do so. There's no reason not to do so. If new data were somehow to be found, different conclusions could be drawn. But saying it's "impossible" is ridiculous.

Last edited by Pavonis; July 13 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:08 PM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Pavonis wrote: View Post
So the timeline is radically different, but somehow the Enterprise is exactly the same. How does that work?
The Enterprise is not exactly the same. Where are Worf and Troi? Tasha Yar is alive. The point is that if even one vessel has incurred significant changes, it's likely that the rest of the universe has, as well. It's a scientific fact that the amount of entropy in the universe is increasing, not the reverse. Applying this rule to an alternate reality, the degree of deviation from the status quo (the primary universe) would have increased over a period of twenty years, not decreased or remained largely unchanged.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Where's Worf? Presumably either dead at Khitomer, or serving in the KDF. Troi? Who knows? There were other episodes where Troi wasn't present either, but that doesn't mean she wasn't aboard.

But face it, the E-D is exactly the same. Same design, same command crew, even the same bartender! Both versions of the E-D end up in the same area of space at the same time. There are far more similarities than differences. Apparently the disappearance of the E-C at Narendra had no effect on Picard et al.'s careers, or in ship design. I find it hard to believe that a prolonged war with the Klingons wouldn't lead to significant changes in ship design and personnel. Clearly the war isn't significant enough to change these things, so perhaps the war hasn't been going on for as long as it seems, or not at the same intensity anyway.

Perhaps this is a case of "for want of a nail". Perhaps the E-C saved a Klingon at Narendra III that influenced the Empire to be friendlier with the Federation. Or that one key politician or Starfleet admiral was killed early in the war that would have handled the conflict with the Klingons better. But the point remains that the Klingons, fielding the same ships against the same Starfleet ships, managed to kick Starfleet's ass in at least one scenario. More data would always be welcome, but for now it looks like the Klingons could defeat the Federation.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

^My point about Worf and Troi was rhetorical. You weren't supposed to respond to it. In any case, you're continuing to miss an extremely important point that should be obvious: the Enterprise is only one ship. We're shown nothing of the rest of the Federation, so your argument that Starfleet is utilizing the same ship designs is baseless. You cannot draw a conclusion from nothing. More information would certainly help in drawing said conclusion, but that information isn't available. Therefore, no conclusion can be drawn.

There's a reason why standardized tests often include the option "not enough information to answer." Not everything may be determined using only a limited amount of information, and it's both foolish and irresponsible to believe otherwise.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:52 PM   #29
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Don't be afraid of drawing conclusions, Sran, based on little or no data! That's what this board is all about! This isn't a standardized test or a scientific article - this is just for fun. What else is there to do? We only have what was depicted in the episodes, and we extrapolate to all kinds of weird and wonderful conclusions from what little we have. If you don't want to draw a conclusion, what's the point of discussing it? If you're only going to contribute by saying we can't conclude x, y or z, why stick around? That's only going to end the discussion. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway, we normally only have the Enterprise to show us what's going on in the galaxy, and that's pretty much always the case, but that's no reason to limit what we can conclude. "Yesterday's Enterprise" says that, despite a prolonged war with the Klingons, Starfleet designed and built the Galaxy-class ships. That's a fact, we saw it on screen. I conclude then, that, the Galaxy-class is a robust design that Starfleet thought would stand up well to the Klingon ships. In one timeline, it's an exploration vessel. In another timeline, it's a battleship. In both timelines, it's laid out the same, with identical weapons and defensive systems. So, during the short war with the Klingons in the 24th century, I imagine the Galaxy-class ships fared exactly as well in battle as they were seen to do so in "YE" - i.e., not great if they're outnumbered by 3-to-1 or worse. In the wider war, apparently Starfleet just didn't distinguish itself well enough to hold the Klingons off. Maybe they didn't have inspired leadership, maybe they had a string of bad luck, or maybe the Klingons really are badasses, despite their regular depiction as loud-mouth wusses who can get their asses handed to them by skinny Bajoran women and middle-aged Irishmen. Maybe the Klingons just outnumber the Federation 1000-to-1. Who knows? Only the writers, and they're not saying.

We do have what the alternate Picard told Captain Garrett - that Starfleet Command saw defeat as unavoidable within 6 months. Whatever else we know about the YE timeline, the fact is the Klingons effectively won that war (unless an alternate Ben Sisko had a plan to draw the alternate Romulans into the war within the next 6 months).

Anyway, lighten up - it's a discussion board, not a scientific conference. I'm not holding my posting here to the same high standards I hold my work.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Klingon-Federation War of 2372-3

Whilst it's a non-canon source did the TNG Technical Manual state the Galaxy-Class began it's design life circa 2343. i.e before The Narendra III incident.

External the alternate Ent-D seen in Universe might be the say as the one we know. But that could be where the similiarties end.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.