Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 17 2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Bacl
Fleet Captain

What was Worf's job before he became Chief of Security?

I've never been entirely clear on what exactly Worf's position was prior to being promoted to Security Chief.

Was it ever directly stated what his job title and duties were?

Also, was he considered a member of the senior staff at this point?
Old February 17 2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: What was Worf's job before he became Chief of Security?

Bridge Officer.
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 04:14 AM   #3
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

^ that. A jack-of-all-trades, strongly in the command path at that point I think. I liked how he would hop on any console or station as needed, or work in engineering. That's just what, in my mind, a Captain needs to have under his belt.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Bacl
Fleet Captain

But no actual title?

I mean, even Barclay was a "systems diagnostic", etc.
Old February 17 2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Would you prefer Glorified Extra?
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 04:32 AM   #6
Dream
Admiral

Token Klingon. Sort of like the Token Black Guy but meaner.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Worf seemed to function somewhat like the Officer of the Deck (OOD) on US Navy ships or as a Duty Officer.
Old February 17 2010, 07:04 AM   #8
alte
Commander

An Electrician...?

alte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 07:34 AM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Utility Brige Officer. Considerin' he worked with Tasha in Security, and assumed both Ops & Conn whenever they were left open, he didn't seem to have a specific task, other than bein' a seat filler in command red.

Old February 17 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Yeoman
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 12:36 PM   #11
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Utility Brige Officer. Considerin' he worked with Tasha in Security, and assumed both Ops & Conn whenever they were left open, he didn't seem to have a specific task, other than bein' a seat filler in command red.

This seems to be basically it.

Of course real world reason they did not really decide what everyone's job was until season 2. Making Geordi Chief Engineer then was a bit of a master stroke, now everyone had a defined position.

It is still silly that the kid became an instant Bridge Officer, but at least until season 3 he generally is not treated as senior staff.
Old February 18 2010, 12:04 PM   #12
I am not Spock
Commodore

Yeah, in the first season, they hadn't really figured out LaForge or Worf's role. They had a bunch of different chief engineers of the week, until they settled on Geordi in season two. Worf was just a token bridge officer in season one.
Old February 18 2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

If we really want to invent a specific role for Worf (even though the writers had no clue), my vote would go for "Tactical Officer". Ships are supposed to have those, and it has always been a bit weird that the person in charge of internal security would be the one to operate the ship's guns, too. Perhaps the job was split originally, with Worf the Tactical Officer (as people in charge of the ship's guns did wear command colors previously, in TOS) and Yar the Security Officer - and the combining only came with the demise of Yar.

I mean, the chairs or consoles mean virtually nothing: the front portside station could be Tactical just as well as Ops, the back arch could be Ops just as well as Security or Sciences. Our heroes were probably experimenting with an optimal layout for the first year. But at least Yar did play the Security role more or less consistently, LaForge played the Helm role more or less consistently, and Data played the Ops or Sciences role more or less consistently. Since Worf is the odd man out, Tactical would be an ideal position for him - because Tactical would see the least onscreen use, as Picard in the first season did not engage in space battles much. Worf's "doing nothing" would thus get a perfect explanation!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 12:50 PM   #14
indolover
Fleet Captain

Worf always was a senior member, he always sat on staff meetings.

In season 1, he was the Tactical Officer, whilst Yar was Security Chief.

I always found it weird though, since it seems merging the two must have happened across the whole of Starfleet, and not just on the Enterprise. In Voyager Tuvok was both Security Chief and Tactical officer.

I suppose in a sense the two positions complement each other. I'd imagine security chief entails ensuring the physical security (in both safeguarding from intrusion and in a computer-sense) of the ship, as well as apprehending miscreants onboard. Offensive systems could be used, in a way, to enhance a ship's physical security.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 02:40 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

..merging the two must have happened across the whole of Starfleet, and not just on the Enterprise. In Voyager Tuvok was both Security Chief and Tactical officer.
That doesn't convince me. Voyager was but one ship, not a representative example of Starfleet at large. And she was a ship making do with replacement personnel after suffering major casualties. Tuvok only assumed the combined Tactical and Security position after those casualties - until then, he was spoken of as the Security Chief, off to an assignment.

Really, those casualties were later said to have included at least one unseen Commander and two Lieutenant Commanders in addition to the XO, LtCmdr Cavit. One of those LtCmdrs might have been the Chief Medical Officer, but we would need other top positions to accommodate at least one LtCmdr and one Cmdr, and preferably the latter should be out of the chain of command since he or she outranked Cavit yet Cavit held the highest position in the chain of command below Janeway...

With Security already taken by Tuvok, the remaining LtCmdr could well be Tactical. Or then Chief of Ops, another known casualty because his or her loss allowed Ensign Kim to take over that position. Or Chief Engineer, who also was lost. And the mysterious Commander could be Chief Science Officer, to keep him or her out of the chain of command.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote