RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 508
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 16 2013, 03:05 PM   #31
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: Steam Sale (expected to) Starts Today

Up till now:
Borderlands 2 Season Pass + Collectorss add-on - €10 for all expansions and increased levelcap
Dishonored - Again only €10
Impire - Dungeon Maste/Overlord crossbreed game for €5
The Last Remnant - Square Enix RPG for €5
Old July 16 2013, 05:45 PM   #32
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Reus, Deadlight, System Shock 2, Tropico Trilogy, Endless Space Gold, Toki Tori 2+, Kairo, Cave Story+. Myst pack so far.
Old July 16 2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Do any of you clowns want 10% off Toki Tori 2+? I have four coupons for this and I want to get rid of them.

PM me your Steam info if interested.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:21 PM   #34
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

The date they're usable until has passed, hasn't it? I've got one spare too.
Old July 16 2013, 11:19 PM   #35
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Today, Mark Of The Ninja and Orcs Must Die Franchise Pack...
Old July 17 2013, 12:12 AM   #36
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The coupons are good until 2014. Check the year.
My blog
Old July 17 2013, 02:48 AM   #37
Yoda
Rear Admiral

How is everyone on TRADING CARDS?!?!

Uhh. So I have, SIX Prison Architect cards from this sale. WTF. I have 2 of a couple of others, and then 1 each of a few more. I'm missing like 4 cards. Anyone want to TRADE?!?!? 5 PRISON ARCHITECTS MUST GO! Looks like I need a Torchlight 2, a Bioshock Infinite, a Chivalry, and a Kerbal Space Program. I have the aforementioned 5 extra Prison Architects, 1 extra Dead Island, and 1 extra Football Manager...

I want to CRAFT A BADGE! Whatever the hell that means
Old July 17 2013, 01:35 PM   #38
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Yoda, I'll give you a BioShock Infinite for a Football Manager. Deal? PM me your Steam info and I'll send you mine and I should be around tonight to do the trade.

As for how the Steam "metagame" works:

It's based around two main things: cards and experience (XP). You normally earn cards by playing games that support them. You can find out which games you have that support cards by going to the "Badges" page of your profile. You earn cards simply by playing the games. You will drop up to half the number of total cards (rounded up) available for the game. For instance, if a game has 9 cards, then playing the game will drop 5. All drops happen within 2 hours of play time, though play time prior to the card rollout doesn't count. Some people have simply opened up several games at once and left them to run in order to drop the cards. You may get duplicates. You may get more valuable foil cards. You have no control over this.

Obviously, you cannot collect all the cards for a game by simply playing it, since the drops are limited. Instead, you have to trade with others or buy from the Marketplace. You can also get booster packs. These come to you at random based on your level. Your level is based on your XP. XP comes from how many games you have, how much community participation you've done, and how many badges you have crafted. Apart from the community badge, all other badges are crafted by collecting a complete set of cards, either for an individual game or for the Summer Sale. You can increase a badge's level (which makes it worth more XP) by crafting it multiple times, up to a maximum of 5. This requires, of course, gathering the full set again, through trading, Marketplace purchases, and/or booster packs.

Earning more XP unlocks additional profile benefits, such as allowing you to have a bigger friend list, and setting a background image for your profile page, along with other benefits I'm not familiar with just yet.

I guess this is Steam's attempt at a platform differentiation strategy. Although I think some aspects of it are neat, like the profile customization, I wouldn't be bothered if it all went away tomorrow. Still, my plan is to craft one game badge to complete my community badge, then sell all the others to buy more games. I got a foil card out of Universe Sandbox that's worth like $4.
My blog
Old July 21 2013, 10:52 AM   #39
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Well, not too bad considering i have a steam account for 9 years:

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: 2416,04€
  • Games owned: 260
  • Games not played: 81
  • Percentage: 31%
  • Hours spent: 521.3h

BTW, i am a little underwhelmed/disapointed by the offerings this summer-sale...
Old July 21 2013, 01:35 PM   #40
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

me too. previously I've had to fight the urge to buy, this time I've not bought anything in days.
Old July 21 2013, 08:38 PM   #41
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I'm only at like 6 years... and... well:

• Worth: $3615.48
  • Games owned: 311
  • Games not played: 201
  • Percentage: 65%
  • Hours spent: 1,577.4h
I'm kind of a sucker. There's the people with no patience that buy stuff as soon as it hits, but actually play it and get value out of it. There's the people with patience that pretty much only buy what they are going to actually pay, and they make out like bandits on Steam. Someone like me ends up spending about what they'd pay if they just bought the games they really wanted to play right as they release, but has to wait, and ends up with a bunch of unplayed games. If I'm being honest here instead of talking about how I am going to get to my backlog I should really just show more restraint on these sales.

My GOG.com list is starting to grow as well. Buying lots of games for the second time there when they have sales. But when you think about it, it's probably worth it to spend 3 bucks for someone to have an installer and DOSBox settings than to bother doing it yourself.

Anyway, did finally craft a badge. 100XP and... that's pretty much it? I don't know I read the FAQ page for the trading cards and I sort of understand it better. A little. Seems like quite a grind to get to level 50, but then you'll get a much better drop rate for the good stuff? Last I checked the cards for the Summer Sale are really cheap, but uhh, they're about to stop dropping for all time so... spend life savings to buy all cards right now... sell down the road once rest of supply dries up... become first Steam marketplace millionaire?

Picked up Rogue Legacy from their site as well. Too new to get any Steam Sale love, but the developer's site has it for 3 bucks off (for the next 21 hours or so) and well... It just looks too damned awesome so I had to do it. Figured I'd mention it in case anyone had been hoping for a Steam discount during the sale.
Old July 22 2013, 05:58 PM   #42
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

• Worth: $3975.97
  • Games owned: 341
  • Games not played: 71
  • Percentage: 21%
  • Hours spent: 345.6h

I believe the grind really hits after level 10, actually. I am at level 10 now, but I've noticed hardly anyone is much past that. Highest I've seen so far is 13. I think past that point you have to start paying actual money for cards to complete every game's set, and complete it multiple times for more XP boosts.

I completed the Summer Sale badge without really trying. Just picked up enough card drops to do it through votes and buying, so I figured what the hell.

My backlog is so big I should probably feel bad.
My blog
Old July 23 2013, 12:02 AM   #43
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Bloody hell, what's wrong with you people?!
Worth: €380.74
Games owned: 27
Games not played: 3
Percentage: 11%
Hours spent: 821.4h
That's a frugal 46 cents per hour of entertainment.

I guess I'm not much of an impulse buyer by nature, but this was the first big Steam sale in the last few years where I didn't buy anything. I was tempted by XCOM, but there's a bunch of games I know I'm going to want to play first over the next few months, so I reasoned that I was better off waiting until one of the holiday sales when the price might be lower.
Old July 23 2013, 03:19 AM   #44
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I actually felt this sale had some really good deals that were really hard to resist, but I suppose that would depend on what one is looking for. Despite the pull though, I only ended up getting Fallout: NV as I was trying to limit myself.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 06:58 AM   #45
Tribble puncher
Commander

I have one friend on steam...haha...I never really get into the online social aspect of things, hardly ever play any multiplayer games, but If I can sell these steam cards for actualcredits to buy more games...I may have to check it out...I bought endless space gold, and grand theft auto IV complete, only to find out the latter won't run on my win8 laptop...am a bit bummed about that..
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote