Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 22 2009, 04:38 AM   #1
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Kirk's quarters

I'm looking for some good, blueprint or better quality of Kirk's quarters from the Enterprise Refit. A CGI will also work well for me. Thanks in advance.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Re: Kirk's quarters

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 06:04 PM   #3
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

^^^Thanks. That looks like a Probert drawing. I tried looking on his website, but I couldn't find any of Kirk's quarters. Is it there, but I missed it? Or can I find it somewhere else? If you know where, then I'd appreciate it if you could point me there.

Old February 23 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
GodThingFormerly

That ST:TMP set plan was actually rendered by Leon Harris, not Andrew Probert.

TGT
Old February 23 2009, 08:54 PM   #5
judge alba
senior street judge

not sure if this is any good it's been sitting on my hard drive for yonks now so i am not sure where i got it from originally

Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 01:49 AM   #6
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

^^^I recognize that from ST6. I always thought that was a bit small for the captain of the whole damn ship.
Thanks, though.

Old February 24 2009, 02:47 AM   #7
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

If memory serves, I read somewhere that the ST VI was built within the confines of the "junior officers' quarters" set for TNG, which was in early TNG years a redress of Kirk's quarters from TMP, but which was completely rebuilt by the time STVI was a gleam in Paramount's eye.
Old February 24 2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Trekfan21
Commander

yeah the Captain's quarters in VI were a bit ridiculous. The quarters were originally a 2-room set separated by smoked glass doors. The room seen in VI occupies the lower portion of his cabin in the blueprint posted above. The 2nd room seen in the upper part of the blueprint housed the large viewer in TMP. It was the setting of KirK's confrontation with Decker and then McCoy. The set was redressed for TWOK with a smaller viewer and was where Kirk, Spock and McCoy viewed the Genesis presentation. That room was dressed in TUC for the uniform search, and was the location of Crewman Dax's locker, with the ill-fitting boot.

For TNG fans, it was used in several configurations, usually the two-room configuration for Work, Data and LaForge.
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 06:13 AM   #9
3danim8d
Ensign

Sorry to hijack the thread,

TGT,

Do you have high resolution scans of the shooting stage blue-prints for TMP or TWOK ?

Thanks,

3Danim8d
3danim8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 09:06 AM   #10
GodThingFormerly

3danim8d wrote: View Post
TGT,

Do you have high resolution scans of the shooting stage blue-prints for TMP or TWOK ?

TGT
Old February 24 2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Timo
Admiral

We could always claim that the ST6 set was the inner sanctum of a two-part cabin. That would explain why Kirk doesn't worry about jamming his door open with his bag - it's the inner door, not the outer one.

It was sort of weird originally that Kirk's TMP bed was in his antechamber and his apparent office and reception desk in his inner sanctum... Here, the order might be reversed for the better. Although no doubt Kirk would have a proper office somewhere else, it still makes sense to arrange his de facto workspace in a logical manner.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 12:18 PM   #12
GodThingFormerly

Timo wrote: View Post
It was sort of weird originally that Kirk's TMP bed was in his antechamber...
...along with the sonic shower. This raises some interesting questions about 23rd century human social taboos - such as they are - that couldn't be made explicit in a G-rated film, particularly considering that Gene Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization suggests the crew of the NCC-1701 routinely engage in (presumably public) sex on the reck-deck. BTW, if one may quote the relevant paragraph from Phase II Script Editor/TMP Associate Producer Jon Povill's 1977 memo, 23rd Century Earth: Context for Enterprise Crew:

"They are not ashamed of their bodies or bodily functions. These are people who can share bathroom facilities without regard for gender and without embarrassment. Nor would it cause any awkwardness if someone were to interrupt a couple in the midst of love-making."

TGT
Old February 24 2009, 12:26 PM   #13
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

It was sort of weird originally that Kirk's TMP bed was in his antechamber and his apparent office and reception desk in his inner sanctum... Here, the order might be reversed for the better. Although no doubt Kirk would have a proper office somewhere else, it still makes sense to arrange his de facto workspace in a logical manner.
Unless one is forced to redress the same antechamber portion of Kirk's cabin to represent Lieutenant Ilia's entire cabin.

The God Thing wrote: View Post
This raises some interesting questions about 23rd century human social taboos - such as they are - that couldn't be made explicit in a G-rated film, particularly considering that Gene Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization suggests the crew of the NCC-1701 routinely engage in (presumably public) sex on the reck-deck. BTW, if one may quote the relevant paragraph from Phase II Script Editor/TMP Associate Producer Jon Povill's 1977 memo, 23rd Century Earth: Context for Enterprise Crew:

"They are not ashamed of their bodies or bodily functions. These are people who can share bathroom facilities without regard for gender and without embarrassment. Nor would it cause any awkwardness if someone were to interrupt a couple in the midst of love-making."
Unfortunately the realities of a G-rated movie caused Kirk to cover the Ilia-probe's body with a "mini-bathrobe."
Old February 24 2009, 03:27 PM   #14
USS Jack Riley
Captain

We could always claim that the ST6 set was the inner sanctum of a two-part cabin. That would explain why Kirk doesn't worry about jamming his door open with his bag - it's the inner door, not the outer one.

Timo Saloniemi
One possibility is that Kirk's office had now become the Ready Room. We never saw one in TOS or ST I - IV. Perhaps the office portion of his quarters had been moved to a REady Room on the Ent-A.

Also, Uhura mentioned that they were carrying all sorts of special equipment to study gaseous anomalies. This leads to another possibility - that room was scarce as a result of this extra equipment. Hence why crewmen are thrown from bunks in the movie - they were in a modifed quarters situation until they got rid of the extra equipment.

Lastly, it is also a possibility that it was a combination of the 2 (I never understood why the Ent-A had bunks - other than the obvious dramatic reasons - and the Ent did not).

Just my $0.02

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 06:28 PM   #15
3danim8d
Ensign

TGT,

Thanks for those images, do you know where copies of those prints and possible elevations might be available?

3D
3danim8d is offline   Reply With Quote