RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,573
Posts: 5,423,490
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 446
Newest member: toaster

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2013, 05:51 AM   #61
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Ovation wrote: View Post
destructive wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if the aspect ratio of the STID Blu-Ray will "open up" to 16:9 for the IMAX filmed sequences, like 'The Dark Knight'?
I certainly hope so. All IMAX films should that.
They should decide for one aspect ratio for the BluRay. I found the changing between formats on The Dark Knight Rises really distracting.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:11 AM   #62
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Otisburg
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
destructive wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if the aspect ratio of the STID Blu-Ray will "open up" to 16:9 for the IMAX filmed sequences, like 'The Dark Knight'?
I certainly hope so. All IMAX films should that.
They should decide for one aspect ratio for the BluRay. I found the changing between formats on The Dark Knight Rises really distracting.
Diagree completely! Original aspect ratio all the way!
Now, if the viewer had their choice when watching the movie, I could go with that, a nice compromise for all.
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:16 AM   #63
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Tommunist wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post

I certainly hope so. All IMAX films should that.
They should decide for one aspect ratio for the BluRay. I found the changing between formats on The Dark Knight Rises really distracting.
Diagree completely! Original aspect ratio all the way!
Now, if the viewer had their choice when watching the movie, I could go with that, a nice compromise for all.
Except the IMAX shots on the Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray are not in their original aspect ratio. They are in 1:78:1 instead of 1:44:1 as they were theatrically.

I too, would welcome the option to select the version you prefer.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 08:09 PM   #64
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

True. It is, however, closer to the original than the ones without the changing ratios.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 05:02 AM   #65
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

It is certainly closer...but if the argument is "OAR vs altered", then surely any alteration is a negative. I think it's because they know full well that if they pillarboxed the IMAX footage, many consumers would go apeshit.

Dark Knight Rises was also shown theatrically in 2:35:1 (for the whole film) so if one were to argue semantics (and I do love to) it is actually a more accurate OAR release than the altered, almost-there shifting ratio.

The DVD is in 2:35:1, and is accurate to non-IMAX screenings.
The Blu-ray is in shifting ratio, and is not accurate to any theatrical screening.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 04:29 PM   #66
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I prefer OAR to zoomed/cropped for HBO (or to old pan and scan) releases. However, IF a filmmaker has a preference for home video releases, one that is not OAR, I will support the filmmaker's choice (even if is not my preference--as was the case with Kubrick releases years ago). I strongly believe filmmakers should be free to decide how they want their work presented in any given format.

As far as shifting ratios are concerned, I only have the two Batman films that do so and while not OAR to the IMAX presentation, I still prefer them to the straight 2.35:1 presentation of the DVDs.

Ideally, especially because it can be easily accomplished with today's technology, I think all shifting ratio releases should include a fixed ratio non-IMAX OAR version as an option in hi-def, but I'm prepared to forgo that if I get the shifting ratio version. YMMV
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 04:50 PM   #67
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

OAR is a relative term here.

If you saw the movie in IMAX, you saw some footage in IMAX Aspect Ration. But what if we're presented with the film as shown for the standard presentation, where the switching between aspect ratios did not occur?

Is that wrong, or is that what was the preferred presentation by the director? Does he actually have a preference?
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 01:39 AM   #68
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
OAR is a relative term here.

If you saw the movie in IMAX, you saw some footage in IMAX Aspect Ration. But what if we're presented with the film as shown for the standard presentation, where the switching between aspect ratios did not occur?

Is that wrong, or is that what was the preferred presentation by the director? Does he actually have a preference?
There are relatively few movies with shifting aspect ratios in the first place and only a small fraction of those get released with shifting ratios for home viewing. The only director I know of who expressed a preference (i.e. insisted) that shifting ratios be released is Nolan. And even then, he only released it that way in Blu-ray (the DVD doesn't have it--perhaps because of limitations of DVD but more likely (speculation) because HDTVs are still not in the majority of homes today (much less so several years ago) and the shifting ratio would look horrible on a standard def TV).

Steven Soderbergh made a film some years ago called The Good German. He intended it as an homage to film noir from the 40s and wanted it released in the old Academy 1.37:1 ratio (almost indistinguishable from the SDTV ratio of 1.33:1). The studio refused and it was released at the cinema in 1.85:1. However, Soderbergh was able to have it released in his preferred ratio for home viewing. Having seen it in each ratio, I prefer the 1:37:1, even though, technically, it isn't OAR if compared to the theatrical release.

The Artist, however, was able to get a 1.37:1 ratio in the theatrical release--perhaps owing to its silent film aspect.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 03:49 AM   #69
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander
 
Cinema Geekly's Avatar
 
View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

A question from an aspect ratio n00b.

It was my understanding that filmmaker always shot in widescreen because you got more of the picture that way. Every TV however used a 4:3 ratio and I heard people complain all the time about movies shot in widescreen being altered to fit 4:3 in full.

Why is is now that we actually have HD TV's that are also by design wider that we still get films with the black bars?

Is is just a choice? Certain films are shot wide but in full frame and they look fabulous? Is now just simply a visual preference?

If it is, as a director if I knew we were shooting a variety of scenes in IMAX I would also choose to film the rest of the movie in a similar fashion so as to avoid the Dark Knigh Blu-Ray fiasco.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 05:13 AM   #70
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

If we do get deleted scenes, I would really love to know the context of the "You think you're world is safe, but it is an illusion...I will have my vengeance" from the trailer. I saw the movie twice and it felt like a lot of a trailer was absent from the final product.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 10:14 AM   #71
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

^I don't think those lines were ever meant to be in the movie. Just something that vaguely fits the movie's plot and which would get fans talking. VERY vaguely, in this case, since Khan was trying to save his crew first and foremost. The closest to his "You think you're/your world is safe?" in the film is "If you think you're safe at warp, you're wrong."

In the last trailer for STXI, Nero said "I've been waiting for this day my whole life... this day of reckoning." as we saw Vulcan implode. It sent chills up my spine. But guess what? It wasn't just NOT in the movie, it was from the GAG REEL, and Eric Bana continues it with "...you will die. JJ Abrams will die. Everyone. Will. Die." while staring deadpan into the camera.


I barely pay any attention to film trailers that aren't Star Trek. Is this kind of embellishment the norm? I know it started in Trek with the Generations trailer.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 10:28 AM   #72
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Yeah, it's the norm. Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't know.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 02:15 PM   #73
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
A question from an aspect ratio n00b.

It was my understanding that filmmaker always shot in widescreen because you got more of the picture that way. Every TV however used a 4:3 ratio and I heard people complain all the time about movies shot in widescreen being altered to fit 4:3 in full.

Why is is now that we actually have HD TV's that are also by design wider that we still get films with the black bars?

Is is just a choice? Certain films are shot wide but in full frame and they look fabulous? Is now just simply a visual preference?
There are different kinds of aspect ratio. 4:3 of course is the "square" look of old TVs. Things that fill the entire screen of today's widescreen TVs are filmed in 16:9. Then there's a variety of different aspect ratios which movies are filmed in depending on director's preference, and when you see a movie in which the black bars still show up on the top and bottom of the screen of your widescreen TV, it's been shot in one of those aspect ratios. Usually it's kept in that ration on DVD or Blu-ray in order to keep the film exactly as you saw it in theatres.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 02:53 PM   #74
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I have nothing to back this up - but I strongly doubt the STID Blu-ray will be in Variable Aspect Ratio. It's a shame, VAR doesn't bother me in the slightest, and the IMAX scenes on The Dark Knight/Rises BD's look absolutely spectacular on a really large screen. It's truly immersive and a far superior experience to watching super-gimmicky 3D IMHO.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 07:00 PM   #75
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
A question from an aspect ratio n00b.

It was my understanding that filmmaker always shot in widescreen because you got more of the picture that way. Every TV however used a 4:3 ratio and I heard people complain all the time about movies shot in widescreen being altered to fit 4:3 in full.
Actually, filmmakers shot/shoot with different aspect ratios in mind for the final product. Without getting overly technical (as I don't have time at the moment), the standard ratio until the early 50s was 4:3 ish (1.37:1 vs. the 1.33:1 of a standard TV). Films with that aspect ratio fit perfectly well on SDTV screens. In the 50s, wide screen ratios (varying from 1.66:1 to 2.70:1--think Ben-Hur) were introduced to compete with TV. There had been a few widescreen films earlier, but they were quite rare.

By the 1970s, two widescreen ratios had become the norm (though others still popped up as well): 1.85:1 (which on HDTVs leaves very tiny black bars top and bottom because HDTVs are 1.78:1) and 2.35-.40:1 (those leave black bars top and bottom on HDTVs, though not as thick as on SDTVs).

Why is is now that we actually have HD TV's that are also by design wider that we still get films with the black bars?
Answered above.

Is is just a choice? Certain films are shot wide but in full frame and they look fabulous? Is now just simply a visual preference?
Choice of aspect ratio is an artistic decision by the filmmakers. Studios (with exceptions to very influential filmmakers) reserve the right to modify the ratios for home video releases (though since HDTVs became common, they have not done this too much) and for broadcasters/cable channels. In those cases (think HBO and Cinemax and so on), many 2.35:1 films are "zoomed" to fill the 1.78:1 (16x9) HDTV screen. It seems people tolerate "black bars" when movies are rented on discs, but not on cable channels. Movies with a 1.85:1 ratio are often "zoomed" to 1.78:1, both on disc and on TV channels, but the effect is extremely minimal. With wider ratios, the effect can get quite ugly, though not as bad as the pan and scan days of VHS.

If it is, as a director if I knew we were shooting a variety of scenes in IMAX I would also choose to film the rest of the movie in a similar fashion so as to avoid the Dark Knigh Blu-Ray fiasco.
Ah. Here is where I disagree. I found the "fiasco" quite satisfying as it highlights the IMAX imagery, just as it did in the cinema. I will concede that the effect probably works better on home cinemas with projectors (as I have) than on a 40" HDTV in one's living room. That's why I think a shifting ratio should be available, but would prefer it not be the only option. Warner's should have released the Batman films with branched chapters to give those with smaller screens (and those who prefer a fixed ratio) a hi-def option.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.