RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,914
Posts: 5,331,188
Members: 24,559
Currently online: 550
Newest member: Matt W

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 19 2013, 04:36 PM   #361
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

BillJ wrote: View Post
I can't blame Paramount for providing retailers what they want to sell.
Because why care about the quality of a product or the consumers/fans who spend money on it? Let's worry about the retailers getting a piece of the action by paying the studios to get exclusive rights so that no matter which product you buy, you'll always be missing out on something. Maybe if you're super nice, we'll release a better product down the line.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 05:12 PM   #362
Turd Ferguson
Commodore
 
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I finally watched this movie on my 55" tv in 3D and it looked awesome! I've been skeptical of 3D since it started becoming popular to release every movie in 3D, but I have to say, watching it from the comforts of home really has sold the idea of 3D to me. Now, I've seen some movies where the 3D didn't really add anything to it (World War Z) and some movies where it worked really good (Monsters, Inc., Wreck it Ralph), and I have to say Star Trek Into Darkness features the best use of 3D I've seen yet!

The Spock in the volcano scene on Nibiru was absolutely breathtaking as were the scenes on Qo'nos. I also noticed, after popping in the 2D Blu-Ray that the 3D version looked a lot clearer and crisper. Highly recommended for those who have 3D tvs!
__________________
"Divine intervention is unlikely." - The Doctor
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 05:50 PM   #363
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander
 
imranbecks's Avatar
 
Location: Singapore
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Just received my combo pack with the QMX phaser prop replica....Geeking out! The phaser looks and feels great! And a rotating stun/kill barrell which the 2009 version of this replica did not have!


Last edited by M'Sharak; September 20 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: to place large images inside spoiler tags
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:17 PM   #364
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

imranbecks wrote: View Post
Just received my combo pack with the QMX phaser prop replica....Geeking out! The phaser looks and feels great! And a rotating stun/kill barrell which the 2009 version of this replica did not have!


Wow, that really is a nice package. I'm starting to wish I plumped for that release now!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 20 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: to spoiler-tag large images
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:10 PM   #365
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Jeyl wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I can't blame Paramount for providing retailers what they want to sell.
Because why care about the quality of a product or the consumers/fans who spend money on it? Let's worry about the retailers getting a piece of the action by paying the studios to get exclusive rights so that no matter which product you buy, you'll always be missing out on something. Maybe if you're super nice, we'll release a better product down the line.
Paramount knows they can do a quickie barebones release now, and dump "Special Edition" onto the market a few months later, and the fans will suck it up like a vacuum cleaner. You want to blame someone for Paramount's market strategy? Blame the fans that bitch and whined about Paramount double and triple dipping the video sales, all the way to the cash register.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 10:49 PM   #366
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I can't blame Paramount for providing retailers what they want to sell.
Because why care about the quality of a product or the consumers/fans who spend money on it? Let's worry about the retailers getting a piece of the action by paying the studios to get exclusive rights so that no matter which product you buy, you'll always be missing out on something. Maybe if you're super nice, we'll release a better product down the line.
Paramount knows they can do a quickie barebones release now, and dump "Special Edition" onto the market a few months later, and the fans will suck it up like a vacuum cleaner. You want to blame someone for Paramount's market strategy? Blame the fans that bitch and whined about Paramount double and triple dipping the video sales, all the way to the cash register.
Fans need to get over this. Nobody is forcing us to purchase these movies. We do so because we want them. And Paramount knows we will pay whatever exhorbitant prices (Remember how expensive the TNG DVDs were when they first came out?) and will make do with few special features because the majority of fans buying these products are completists. Paramount knows this and has ample evidence to support it. So until we stop buying every last thing they put out it's just going to keep happening.

If it bothers you so much, vote with your dollars next time.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 10:53 PM   #367
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post

Because why care about the quality of a product or the consumers/fans who spend money on it? Let's worry about the retailers getting a piece of the action by paying the studios to get exclusive rights so that no matter which product you buy, you'll always be missing out on something. Maybe if you're super nice, we'll release a better product down the line.
Paramount knows they can do a quickie barebones release now, and dump "Special Edition" onto the market a few months later, and the fans will suck it up like a vacuum cleaner. You want to blame someone for Paramount's market strategy? Blame the fans that bitch and whined about Paramount double and triple dipping the video sales, all the way to the cash register.
Fans need to get over this. Nobody is forcing us to purchase these movies. We do so because we want them. And Paramount knows we will pay whatever exhorbitant prices (Remember how expensive the TNG DVDs were when they first came out?) and will make do with few special features because the majority of fans buying these products are completists. Paramount knows this and has ample evidence to support it. So until we stop buying every last thing they put out it's just going to keep happening.

If it bothers you so much, vote with your dollars next time.
Doesn't bother me, just pointing out that We (the fans) created the situation.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:03 AM   #368
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

My bad. My post was more directed at Jeyl's comment than at yours.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:07 AM   #369
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
My bad. My post was more directed at Jeyl's comment than at yours.
Not a prob.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:08 AM   #370
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post

Because why care about the quality of a product or the consumers/fans who spend money on it? Let's worry about the retailers getting a piece of the action by paying the studios to get exclusive rights so that no matter which product you buy, you'll always be missing out on something. Maybe if you're super nice, we'll release a better product down the line.
Paramount knows they can do a quickie barebones release now, and dump "Special Edition" onto the market a few months later, and the fans will suck it up like a vacuum cleaner. You want to blame someone for Paramount's market strategy? Blame the fans that bitch and whined about Paramount double and triple dipping the video sales, all the way to the cash register.
Fans need to get over this. Nobody is forcing us to purchase these movies. We do so because we want them. And Paramount knows we will pay whatever exhorbitant prices (Remember how expensive the TNG DVDs were when they first came out?) and will make do with few special features because the majority of fans buying these products are completists. Paramount knows this and has ample evidence to support it. So until we stop buying every last thing they put out it's just going to keep happening.

If it bothers you so much, vote with your dollars next time.
How often do people watch the special features anyway? I purchase mainly for the movie, and the extras are just that: a nice bonus
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:34 PM   #371
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I really don't think special features are a big deal outside of fandom & enthusiasts and the majority of people purchasing will purchase anyway because they like the movie regardless of the number of extras.

Now the thing to be genuinely pissed off @ Paramount for is the awful Blu-Ray quality of the majority of the old Trek movies because they used old DVD 1080i masters and digitally scrubbed (DNR) all the detail away instead of re-scanning them all at 4K. If anything should be skipped its them! TWOK is the exception as it was rescanned at 4k. The rest look like shit.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:35 PM   #372
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I've honestly never cared about extras, I just want the film.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:47 PM   #373
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Is the 3D in this movie worth spending $5-$10 on? I don't have enough 3D movies to play on my TV, but the few that I have were quite worth it. Avengers, for example, was really immersive in its 3D.

Plus, I feel 3D gives me a justification to buy the Blu-ray now because 3D Blu-rays almost never drop in price until a year or so.

I don't know how good STiD's 3D is, and reading reviews online gives conflicting opinions. One reviewer said it lessened the colours and added nothing while another said that the movie was probably the best use of 3D this year on Blu-ray. What do you guys think?
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:58 PM   #374
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Now the thing to be genuinely pissed off @ Paramount for is the awful Blu-Ray quality of the majority of the old Trek movies because they used old DVD 1080i masters and digitally scrubbed (DNR) all the detail away instead of re-scanning them all at 4K. If anything should be skipped its them! TWOK is the exception as it was rescanned at 4k. The rest look like shit.
I'm not going to get into the tech stuff, but just in layman's terms, it all doens't amtter because the resulyt is exactly the opposite of what you say here:

TWOK is the worst-looking blue-ray of all the Star Trek films, with it's overly-blue washed out look. Even Regula, and the ships orbiting it, seem smeared in blue. It looks like a pain of translucent glass has been placed between the viewer and the drama!

It's not just the worst Star Trek film on Blue-ray, it's the worst-looking blue-ray in my collection
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:01 PM   #375
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
Is the 3D in this movie worth spending $5-$10 on? I don't have enough 3D movies to play on my TV, but the few that I have were quite worth it. Avengers, for example, was really immersive in its 3D.

Plus, I feel 3D gives me a justification to buy the Blu-ray now because 3D Blu-rays almost never drop in price until a year or so.

I don't know how good STiD's 3D is, and reading reviews online gives conflicting opinions. One reviewer said it lessened the colours and added nothing while another said that the movie was probably the best use of 3D this year on Blu-ray. What do you guys think?
The guy up there in Post #362 seemed to be quite pleased with the quality of his 3D version.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.