Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 2 2013, 01:26 PM   #226
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I've got all the video exclusives detailed here at TrekCore: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/09/int...t-i-video-vam/
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:55 PM   #227
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Seems to be a problem with the iTunes digital download in the UK. While the HD version is working fine, the SD version seems to cut out at about 110mb, eventually giving a file corrupted error.

Seems a few people are having this problem. Not a major issue if you just want the HD version, but may be an issue if you want the smaller file to put it on your phone or tablet.
Old September 2 2013, 05:11 PM   #228
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I explained why this was in an above post.. but basically, a lot of studios priced videos to rent, so that way video stores could get a special rate to rent the videos (sending a percentage of every rental back to the studios) so the prices for buying the videos were purposefully made to dissuade regular customers form buying them.

This practice is arcane now, but it did happen for a while.
Conservative forces tend to keep businesses stuck in the old model.
Old September 2 2013, 05:40 PM   #229
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Ordered the Bluray/digital copy set today.
Old September 2 2013, 11:17 PM   #230
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
...and good luck waiting for a variable aspect ratio release. To use a very old cliché - don't hold your breath.
This comment by me was in reply to a post by Scruggernaut. Trek Core are reporting the German 3D release of STID does indeed include a VAR version of the movie. So, seemingly, if you want the IMAX footage, it is available on physical media. Scruggernaut, perhaps you won't have to hold your breath after all.

Can anybody confirm the German 3D Blu-ray is VAR, and whether the disc contains the English DD True HD 7.1 soundtrack? It's not clear at Amazon.de
Old September 3 2013, 12:03 AM   #231
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I've just watched the extras if u can call them extras there only 6 mins long each and there are 6 mini Documentaries. I found them good some really good film making secrets. Loved how they used a drone to look like the flying Vehicle that attacked the starfleet building all it was is a framework with lights on it. JJ wanted a physical prop and not a CGI one.

Just want more now let's hope there's more to come !!!
Old September 3 2013, 12:27 AM   #232
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Can anybody confirm the German 3D Blu-ray is VAR, and whether the disc contains the English DD True HD 7.1 soundtrack? It's not clear at Amazon.de
As far as I know, nobody has a copy of the German disc yet.
Old September 3 2013, 06:10 AM   #233
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Aatrek wrote: View Post
As far as I know, nobody has a copy of the German disc yet.
The German editions usually have the same English audio as the UK/US versions, I highly suspect this will be the case here as well.

I have ordered the steelbook from the UK though, which should arrive today.
Old September 3 2013, 12:23 PM   #234
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Back in the day, when the latest Trek movie would be released on home video, they would charge around $99.99 for it. At least they did for TFF and TUC.
Yep. Although, in the US, ST II was the Paramount home video used to test a "reduced price" campaign. Where TMP had been about $60(?), ST II was a special Pizza Hut offer at about $29(?). Here in Australia, we missed getting ST II on a special offer (it was $AU 79, just like TMP), but we did get the next Paramount release, "Indiana Jones", at Pizza Hut for the cheap price.

And yes, the later Trek movie videos were released on sell-through at the video rental store price, both in the US in Australia. I was unimpressed by ST V so, when it came out on VHS, it was the only Trek movie video I bought second hand as an ex-rental.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:14 PM   #235
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

We cover the iTunes commentary at TrekCore: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/09/int...ed-commentary/
Old September 4 2013, 01:59 PM   #236
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Back in the day, when the latest Trek movie would be released on home video, they would charge around $99.99 for it. At least they did for TFF and TUC.
Yep. Although, in the US, ST II was the Paramount home video used to test a "reduced price" campaign. Where TMP had been about $60(?), ST II was a special Pizza Hut offer at about $29(?). Here in Australia, we missed getting ST II on a special offer (it was $AU 79, just like TMP), but we did get the next Paramount release, "Indiana Jones", at Pizza Hut for the cheap price.

And yes, the later Trek movie videos were released on sell-through at the video rental store price, both in the US in Australia. I was unimpressed by ST V so, when it came out on VHS, it was the only Trek movie video I bought second hand as an ex-rental.
I remember our family getting TWOK on video that way. TMP came out for something like $79.99 originally, and we got it at a department store that was closing down, discounted to $39.99.

In the US, ST V didn't make enough at the box office, so it was initially released on video at $89.99 or thereabouts. It was the first Trek film that we had to wait to get since TWOK, since everything after TWOK was available on video release for about $39.99 or so.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 09:04 PM   #237
drt
Commander

We cover the iTunes commentary at TrekCore: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/09/int...ed-commentary/
Interesting. From your review, it sounds like the manner in which the "commentary" was produced that it was never actually intended to be incorporated as an extra audio track as "standard" with DVD/BR, but to be watched as a completely separate feature.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:41 PM   #238
trekker670
Fleet Captain

drt wrote: View Post
Interesting. From your review, it sounds like the manner in which the "commentary" was produced that it was never actually intended to be incorporated as an extra audio track as "standard" with DVD/BR, but to be watched as a completely separate feature.
I still think that's bogus (on the part of Paramount, not TrekCore ) Many movies have seamless braching available, including the TOS season sets. While this would be a bit of a more complicated example, it could still definitely be done, and I read a post that some other movies have done commentaries like this on the disc without an issue (I think BTTF was one example).
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:03 AM   #239
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Seamless branching might not fit on the disc without decreasing quality. It's 20 minutes longer than the movie, and based on the IMAX alternating ratio that was decided against (possibly to reproduce what most people saw at the cinema, rather than the relatively low number who saw the IMAX release).

It should also be pointed out that it was likely made at 720p.

I suspect the features themselves were produced by Bad Robot rather than Paramount, if the source quoted on the initial review at TrekCore is an indication.

Saying that, the decision not to have a regular commentary is a disappointment, and the splitting of features between retailer exclusives was problematic to say the least.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:56 AM   #240
Casas9425
Lieutenant

I wonder if Abrams leaving for Star Wars had anything to do with this. Seems like the supplements were thrown together at the last minute by Bad Robot before Abrams left for the galaxy far, far away.
Casas9425 is offline   Reply With Quote