Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 31 2013, 07:33 AM   #211
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

RollTide1017 wrote: View Post
I posted this in the other thread and thought I'd post it here too.

Heads up guys, go to CinemaNow.com and sign in or create an account. Search for "Star Trek" and the exclusive Best Buy extra features, with a 30 minute run time, show up as a "free title" purchase. Unfortunately you have to have a cc on the site to complete the purchase but, the price is $0.00. I have a feeling that this is a mistake so, act quickly.

EDIT: I can confirm that it works, watching the features right now. If it's a mistake, serves them right IMO.
Awesome! Thanks! Woreked for me! Plus, if you have an Ultraviolet account and link it to CinemaNow, you get to choose ten free movies (in standard definition) from a list of films. Not the greatest selection, but the original "Battlestar Galactica" movie is one of them. Now I had already linked my UV account to them, but tried, anyways, and it worked!

As I said previously, I prefer physical media, but like the portability of these cloud based digital copies. And the fact that the different services generally play nice with each other. So the cinemanow stuff shows up on Flixtser and Vudu (and they both also have free movie offers for signing up).

Yeah, they'd like you to just buy movies through their digital services, but I will resist that. Blu-ray bit rate is just better, and I don't need an internet connection to enjoy. But if the Blu-ray I buy comes with a digital copy, why not take advanatge of that?

Thanks again for the tip!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 07:55 AM   #212
Gsam
Lieutenant

I too have put this on my list on cinema now account. I don't know the logic behind doing this but so be it. I agree that liking the digital copy but unless I just have bad luck the last few movies I purchased had "digital copy" but really was the ultra violet format. I liked it when you bought the movie and the digital copy was downloaded. With ultra violet you need the internet connection (if I am wrong on this fact please let me know) which for me defeats the purpose of having digital copy. I like download so I needn't worry about availability of internet while on the go. At the very least I would like a choice about this because I also have found with ultra violet that you need a separate account for each studio. Again it has been awhile so this may have changed.
Gsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 08:05 AM   #213
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

RollTide1017 wrote: View Post
I posted this in the other thread and thought I'd post it here too.

Heads up guys, go to CinemaNow.com and sign in or create an account. Search for "Star Trek" and the exclusive Best Buy extra features, with a 30 minute run time, show up as a "free title" purchase. Unfortunately you have to have a cc on the site to complete the purchase but, the price is $0.00. I have a feeling that this is a mistake so, act quickly.

EDIT: I can confirm that it works, watching the features right now. If it's a mistake, serves them right IMO.
Upon further review, I wonder if Best Buy and/or Paramount is throwing us a bone on this. Because the Best Buy listing for their "Exclusive" set doesn't mention the 30 minutes of extra footage on the webpage for it. It was there before the bad press began.
Maybe giving it up for all is a peace-offering? I know the Canadian Best Buy exclusive will actually have this on a physical disc (don't know if Blu-ray or DVD).
Grab it if you can, this one actually looks decent enough. Hopefully Target's extras will be good too.
Old August 31 2013, 08:13 AM   #214
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I put my hand up to ask about the release for non-Region1 and non-RegionA, are any of the extra commentary/features available to us?
Although it seems the US is having a hard time figuring out what's available there.
If anyone figures it out can you eventually spare a thought for us out-of-towners?

OK we saw the movie first, maybe this is our punishment. LOL.
This may not be the case this time around, but in the past non-US releases often had the retailer exclusives included with the standard release. This was the case with the Best Buy exclusives both on DVD and the recent Blurays. Although the TV shows are handled by another company than the films.
From the listings I have seen so far, UK/Aus are not getting any extras beyond the standard US Blu release. Not a guarantee though, just what I have found so far.
That makes my decision easy.
I'll just get the cheapest one I can find.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 08:21 AM   #215
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

Gsam wrote: View Post
I too have put this on my list on cinema now account. I don't know the logic behind doing this but so be it. I agree that liking the digital copy but unless I just have bad luck the last few movies I purchased had "digital copy" but really was the ultra violet format. I liked it when you bought the movie and the digital copy was downloaded. With ultra violet you need the internet connection (if I am wrong on this fact please let me know) which for me defeats the purpose of having digital copy. I like download so I needn't worry about availability of internet while on the go. At the very least I would like a choice about this because I also have found with ultra violet that you need a separate account for each studio. Again it has been awhile so this may have changed.
Depending on the movie, and the application being used (and format: phone? Computer? PS3?) you can download the movies. But it's confusing to say the least! I like have a UV account, a VUDU account, a Flixster account and several of the studios. It was a hassle setting them all up. But now that I do, titles I redeem show up on all of them automtaically (for the most part, sometimes it takes a few days).

For a computer, try Vudu's VUDO2Go program, it allows you to download the titles to your computer. I believe the VUDU app for the PS3 also allows downloading to the hard drive.
Old August 31 2013, 08:21 AM   #216
Tosk
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

This may not be the case this time around, but in the past non-US releases often had the retailer exclusives included with the standard release. This was the case with the Best Buy exclusives both on DVD and the recent Blurays. Although the TV shows are handled by another company than the films.
From the listings I have seen so far, UK/Aus are not getting any extras beyond the standard US Blu release. Not a guarantee though, just what I have found so far.
That makes my decision easy.
I'll just get the cheapest one I can find.
An update on that; TrekCore have reported that the Aussie Big W release will have exclusive extras on it...but no confirmation yet beyond the website listing...

Villain Piece - Opening Sequence Piece - Movie Magic Piece - Bad Ship Piece - Makeup/VFX/Allen - Post Production Piece - Making of Piece - Fan Contest Piece - Mission Continues Piece - Deleted Scenes - Bloopers - Easter Eggs - Roundtable

http://tinyurl.com/k26tjl7

I dunno, seems like a lot of extras that aren't mentioned anywhere else to be dropping on an obscure Aussie store exclusive. But if it turns out to be true it'd be the one to snag.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 11:04 AM   #217
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Scruggernaut wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Don't know what a "kanye shrug" is?

I've seen the open matte version of Titanic and own Avatar. In both cases the shot composition in MANY of the scenes look way too "loose" and detract from the visuals IMHO.

The perceived "artistic vision" is of course completely subjective.
Well, no, it's not subjective really. The director is the leader of the film and has a certain 'vision' of what he wants scenes and shots to look and feel like, and achieves this (in this case) with an IMAX 70mm camera. Anything outside of that detracts from what JJ Abrams intended the film to look like and therefore is a modified and (imo) inferior product. Simple as that.

The point being, I've cancelled my pre-order of Star Trek Into Darkness and won't purchase it until a superior product is made available, whether that be an international version or an updated release (which is in the realm of possibility seeing how wide this story has spread).
Well, yes, it is subjective really. If I perceive it to be "artiscally sound", then no argument on your part can alter that - because, well, that's my subjective evaluation.

You have absolutely no solid factual basis in proclaiming Abrams "artistic intention" while shooting STID. Again, it is not uncommon for directors to keep more than one aspect ratio in mind when composing shots.

In fact, it's highly likely they do, knowing the end product will be shown in different ways. I would remind you the VAST majority of the movie going public viewed STID in a constant aspect ratio with the IMAX footage cropped.

Well done making a stand cancelling your order - and good luck waiting for a variable aspect ratio release. To use a very old cliché - don't hold your breath.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; August 31 2013 at 03:08 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 03:00 PM   #218
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I purchased and downloaded the CinemaNow content, but I'm now getting an error saying the license could not be retrieved.

EDIT: I was able to get it to work in the browser, but it fails in the CinemaNow application.

Last edited by trekker670; August 31 2013 at 04:01 PM.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 11:26 PM   #219
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

I can definitely understand the frustration over this release, but cancelling your orders? Surely owning the actual movie takes precedent if you really appreciated it? Is relatively sparse bonus content worth cutting yourselves off from enjoying the film at home?
Tastes differ - I can see the difference between a dvd and a bluray but once I get involved in a story I don't actually notice it. The bonus content would be the reason for my buying a BR over a bare bones DVD.

Also I'm in no great rush to own it, I'll wait up to a year or so to see if there's a rerelease with all the features.

An update on that; TrekCore have reported that the Aussie Big W release will have exclusive extras on it...but no confirmation yet beyond the website listing...

Villain Piece - Opening Sequence Piece - Movie Magic Piece - Bad Ship Piece - Makeup/VFX/Allen - Post Production Piece - Making of Piece - Fan Contest Piece - Mission Continues Piece - Deleted Scenes - Bloopers - Easter Eggs - Roundtable

http://tinyurl.com/k26tjl7

I dunno, seems like a lot of extras that aren't mentioned anywhere else to be dropping on an obscure Aussie store exclusive. But if it turns out to be true it'd be the one to snag.
It would indeed - I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the tip.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 10:09 AM   #220
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

TrekCore have reported that the Aussie Big W release will have exclusive extras on it....

an obscure Aussie store exclusive. But if it turns out to be true it'd be the one to snag.
I'm guessing the JB HiFi version will have something. Sometimes they have a tin box, or a 3D cover, on an otherwise-identical release to other stores.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:02 AM   #221
Relayer1
Commodore

I don't watch films multiple times and I've already seen this twice - once at the cinema and once on a dodgy copy someone lent me so I doubt I'd play the film more than once, if that. I do like to collect things though and do like watching the 'extras' so its special editions all the way for me.

It looks likethe UK Sainsburys version is the same as the US Target release so I might get that one. Otherwise I may not bother...
Old September 1 2013, 05:20 PM   #222
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I heard that all the film's special features are been split into different DVDs of the film. Apparently screenrants reports that if you want to get all the special features you have to buy all the dvds which will cost you $85.

how cute (SCARSAM) for Paramount to rip off Trek fans.
Remember, this is the same studio who had the balls to charge fans $100 for the VHS release of STV:TFF.
Where was I for this?
Back in the day, when the latest Trek movie would be released on home video, they would charge around $99.99 for it. At least they did for TFF and TUC. The only "extra feature" you got on TFF was an annoying trailer for Indian Jones and the Last Crusade which you'd probably be fast-forwarding through to get to the movie. Eventually, once the studio made a buttload of cash, the price would drop to around $19.99, which is when I'd pick them up.
Old September 2 2013, 04:22 AM   #223
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I explained why this was in an above post.. but basically, a lot of studios priced videos to rent, so that way video stores could get a special rate to rent the videos (sending a percentage of every rental back to the studios) so the prices for buying the videos were purposefully made to dissuade regular customers form buying them.

This practice is arcane now, but it did happen for a while.
Old September 2 2013, 12:15 PM   #224
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Damn. DAMN! Just received my Amazon STID Steelbook Blu-ray exclusive from the postwoman, and, it's beat up to hell. Not just minor damage mind you, it's bent, pitted and mangled - making it impossible to close the case.

I'm off to the post office to return it now. After a weekend chock full of bad luck, this delivery just caps it. Man, I'm in a REALLY shitty mood right now.

I've never returned anything to Amazon before, does anybody have any experience? How long does the replacement process take?
Old September 2 2013, 12:51 PM   #225
Relayer1
Commodore

Damn. DAMN! Just received my Amazon STID Steelbook Blu-ray exclusive from the postwoman, and, it's beat up to hell. Not just minor damage mind you, it's bent, pitted and mangled - making it impossible to close the case.

I'm off to the post office to return it now. After a weekend chock full of bad luck, this delivery just caps it. Man, I'm in a REALLY shitty mood right now.

I've never returned anything to Amazon before, does anybody have any experience? How long does the replacement process take?
Very quick in the UK - they will post your replacement today as a new order and credit you with the return when they receive it.

I've just picked up the Sainsburys Bluray which has the Target bonus DVD free with it.

Anyone found any of the other stuff on Youtube yet ?