Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 14 2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: The Ashes 2013

It is interesting reading this thread with no concept whatsoever of who these people are, how cricket works, etc. This must be what normal people feel like when nerds are talking.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:35 AM   #32
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

^
Cricket has a quite unique nerdity, really.

Decent half-hour of proper Test cricket so far. Sooner or later, I fear, Haddin is going to do something stupid. He usually does. And once he does, we're stuffed.
Old July 14 2013, 01:56 PM   #33
Llama
Captain

Wow that must have been one hellava big stone in Broads shoe for him to carry on like that just before lunch.

When we resume play the Aussies only need 20 more runs with 1 wicket in hand. Do we dare to dream the impossible dream?
Old July 14 2013, 02:29 PM   #34
Llama
Captain

Oh how appropriate. The game is determined by a controversial DRS decision. It's really kinda funny.

For the next test I say we play 10 bowlers and a wicketkeeper. This test match shows we don't need batsmen...
Old July 14 2013, 02:32 PM   #35
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

After everything, it had to end on a review didn't it?

Thrilling test. Some poor batting, some great bowling, some woeful decisions, and a terrific surprise package in Agar.

Looks like this might just be a competitive series after all......
Old July 14 2013, 02:33 PM   #36
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

controversial DRS decision
Whats controversial about it? hotspot shows a hit and the sound backs it up. Thin edge is an edge none the less

1-0 4 to go.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 02:40 PM   #37
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Not controversial at all that one. Thinnest of edges and an audible snick.

What's proven the decisive factor was the way that each team used the referral system. Clarke wasted reviews and ended up not being able to do anything about Broad, but Cook played it sensibly and ended up being able to overturn Haddin's non-dismissal.

It'll be interesting to see Clarke's approach towards DRS going forward. Seems that he didn't learn anything from the Broad situation given that he threw a referral away on trying to get his own dismissal overturned in the second innings.

Last edited by Angel4576; July 14 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 02:57 PM   #38
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Despite the win I hope to see Bresnan back in over Finn and god I would love to see Bairstow replaced. Also something my Dad said to me during game caught my eye, England should move Root to number 3 and let Trott open with Cook. Joe Root is very young to be opening the order.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:06 PM   #39
Llama
Captain

Controversial in that the Poms didn't really look like they thought it was out, but called for a strategic review - which paid off.

One stat I read is that the Aussies had 2/9 successful reviews to the Poms 3/4. A lesson to be learnt from that?

Overall a very enjoyable test, looking forward to the next 9 if they're all going to be like this
Old July 14 2013, 03:23 PM   #40
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Botany Bay

England 215 & 375
Australia 280 & 296 (110.5 ov)
England won by 14 runs.

I reckon that would be the first test I have seen where more intelligent use of the DRS system won the game. It was that tight - what a classic.

I really feel for Haddin, I was sure he would get us over the line when Anderson limped off at lunch, but it was not to be, with the champion coming out after lunch and finishing Australia off. I wonder what impact that spell (13 overs straight ), will have on him heading into the next test in just four days. All bets are off if you lose Anderson to a niggle, you would be stuffed without him .

Losing a game like that definitely sucks, but the good news is that Australia are going to be more competitive than I expected.

It won't happen, but if we could just swallow our pride and add Katich for the second test, and bring in Bird somewhere, we are really in business for this series.

England aren't the side of two seasons ago in Australia. Bairstow did not look convincing at all, the jury is out on Root, Swann bowls plenty of four-balls these days and Finn looks mentally shot. The hosts look far from invincible - this really should be a great series from here.

Anyway, that was a cracking game, well played to both teams. Now : to sleep for more than four hours for the first time in a week
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 08:48 AM   #41
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Very disappointed for Haddin, who despite my confident predictions didn't stuff up and who (for various reasons, not all cricket-related) deserves better. That was left to the blokes further up the order. No surprise whatsoever there - batting is our weakness and it's just another reiteration of that fact.

Our bowling isn't anything to write home about, either. I don't go along with the viewpoint that we have (anything resembling) a world-class attack; they're all far too inconsistent and (Siddle in particular) tend(s) to waste far too much time pitching short and / or drifting into the pads. World-class bowlers don't do that. The potential is there but the performances aren't - yet.

Clarke's owned up to his poor use of the DRS, but it doesn't alter the fact that it needs looking at when an edge as thick as the one Broad got can't be questioned by the third official. And on that note...here's an interesting article from last year which points up the hypocrisy players from all sides employ on the walking issue. Presumably Swann doesn't consider Broad a cheat.

England, not surprisingly, in the box seat for the series, but somehow we contrived to make more of a contest of it than many expected.
Old July 18 2013, 10:50 AM   #42
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Botany Bay

Changes :
AUS :
Harris for Starc
Khawaja for Cowan

ENG :
Bresnan for Finn

Toss : ENG who will bat.

I really like the selection of Harris for Australia. For England fans who may not have seen him, he is a very, very good bowler, who I think would have been our Dale Steyn if knee injuries hadn't ruined his career. There is no coincidence that he is rushed back into the baggy green every time he is fit - he is that good, but the danger, of course, is that he breaks down.

I thought Jackson Bird was a bit unlucky not to get the nod for Lords, but three changes would have been a bit much, and it would be a bit dispiriting to drop Agar after he nearly won us a test with the bat at Trent Bridge.

My heart goes out to Ed Cowan, my personal favourite Aussie cricketer, but he looked terrible in the first test, and a lone hundred in 18 tests is probably not good enough. Barring injuries, it looks as though his international career is over - what a long, depressing tour it will be for him. I will miss his thoughtful interviews and opinions. He played to the absolute maximum of his ability in his shortish career - well done, Ed.

Not a surprising change for England to drop Finn, who went to pieces on the last day at Trent Bridge, and appeared to lose the confidence of his captain. Interesting Bresnan has come in. Word is he has lost a yard of pace. Interesting selection.

I think Australia's bowlers will do well here. Big test ahead for Root and Bairstow, who may not enjoy Harris too much based on what I saw in the last test.

Unfortunately the pitch looks very dry, and batsman friendly. This is such a big morning in the series. If England get 500 on the board first up, I think they Ashes are probably gone - a massive day ahead.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 18 2013, 12:03 PM   #43
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Pleasant start so far, but the day is young and the blokes currently at the crease can bat for days so it's just a start. From here, much depends on whether Harris can stay fit for more than a day and whether Pattinson can get a grip - he's every bit as wayward as Starc but always seems to get a pass whereas Starc, dropped yet again, doesn't.

I remain completely unconvinced by Khawaja, but am willing to be proved wrong. Cowan simply hasn't done enough, but whether Khawaja is capable of doing any better is anyone's guess.

I won't bother commenting on the latest ructions in Australian cricket; the ongoing farce is just laughable at this juncture so ignoring it strikes me as the way to go.
Old July 18 2013, 01:34 PM   #44
Botany Bay
Commodore

ENG 3/80, Lunch, Day 1.

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Pleasant start so far, but the day is young and the blokes currently at the crease can bat for days so it's just a start. From here, much depends on whether Harris can stay fit for more than a day and whether Pattinson can get a grip - he's every bit as wayward as Starc but always seems to get a pass whereas Starc, dropped yet again, doesn't.
I think they had visions of the other left armed Mitch spraying them everywhere on the first morning in 2009 and seeing England sail to 0/130 at lunch, and decided to take no chances on the occasionally erratic Starc. No doubt he will be back this series.

Pattinson did not bowl well this morning. In fact, after the first couple of overs I was thinking we were going to go around the park, but then Harris did his thing - swinging it both ways, full and at pace. Root was probably a touch unlucky, but Harris' first spell deserved two wickets.

Another low score for Pietersen - when he got out I saw him think about sending an antique flying with his bat in the Long Room in front of the members, but thought the better of it Very happy to see him having a quiet series.

I won't bother commenting on the latest ructions in Australian cricket; the ongoing farce is just laughable at this juncture so ignoring it strikes me as the way to go.
They've got a real Prisoners' Dilemma thing going on with Clarke and Watson, haven't they? It's probably not going to end till both are out of the side, but it seems we will be treated to all the ugly details as Arthur's lawyers go for the big bucks. Unfortunately, at their best, they are our two best players. I will say one thing about Watson though, he is so handy as an all-rounder. As long as he bowls, his position is probably safe.

So, Australia on top here, but as you say, it's not time to get excited till Trott goes. He is the prized wicket, he just bats and bats, and I would like to see him go soon. Maybe we missed a trick not getting Agar on at him early - I thought he didn't particularly enjoy facing him in the first test. Also, how good is Bell looking?
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 18 2013, 04:06 PM   #45
Botany Bay
Commodore

ENG 4/183, Bell 62, Bairstow 28.

England's session, with the only wicket being the important one of Trott, who did something you won't see very often and spooned a ball on the leg side rather than caressing it away for four as he so often does there.

One of the big moments of the test (and series?) was Siddle cleaning up Bairstow's stumps only to see the battling No. 6 recalled for a no-ball. If Bairstow goes on to make a hundred here, it will be a bitter blow. There certainly is nothing to stop him, the pitch looks very flat and the bowling has been a bit mixed. Pattinson needs to find his radar quickly. Agar hasn't looked threatening.

It's a batting paradise out there, and England will want 400 plus to feel happy, but I can't help thinking the Ashes are slipping from our grasp here unless we rip through the tail tonight.
Bob Justman, 1967.