Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old April 7 2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Dales
Lieutenant Commander

Do you think Pegg deslikes Star Trek Into Darkness?

I dont know what is going on with the man, he keeps giving all this interviews on how his script will be different, how it will be traditional and stick to core values or how he learned from orci's script.

I know artists are suppose too respect each other but I cant shake the feeling that Pegg did not like the script of into darkness.

I know only Karl Urban has voiced some of his unhappiness with the script wishing it was more original but I dont think any other person in the cast has said something negative.

Pegg may not have said something negative but I cant shake this feeling off that he is sort of unhappy with the way into darkness went both in terms of his personal reception of the film and the fsome fans reception of the film as well and for this, He wants his own script to be much better than what orci wrote for star trek into darkness and star trek 3 that Paramount rejected which lead to orci exiting the film as a writer as well as director.
Old April 7 2015, 06:49 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Pegg deslikes Star Trek Into Darkness?

No.
Old April 7 2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

He said he was proud of it, but there were things that bothered him about it. Not a zero-sum game, you know.
Old April 7 2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
He said he was proud of it, but there were things that bothered him about it. Not a zero-sum game, you know.
My first thought with this post was, "And this is why we have Director's Cuts of classic movies." Movies are monumental work, and being proud of the final product is one thing. But trying to scratch that itch that a few things are off just never seems to go away, especially for creative types.
Old April 7 2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Dennis
The Man

No.
Old April 7 2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

Creative people tend to see other people's art as the labyrinth of decision making that it really is.
Old April 7 2015, 11:08 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Dales wrote: View Post
I dont know what is going on with the man, he keeps giving all this interviews on how his script will be different, how it will be traditional and stick to core values or how he learned from orci's script.

I know artists are suppose too respect each other but I cant shake the feeling that Pegg did not like the script of into darkness.

I know only Karl Urban has voiced some of his unhappiness with the script wishing it was more original but I dont think any other person in the cast has said something negative.

Pegg may not have said something negative but I cant shake this feeling off that he is sort of unhappy with the way into darkness went both in terms of his personal reception of the film and the fsome fans reception of the film as well and for this, He wants his own script to be much better than what orci wrote for star trek into darkness and star trek 3 that Paramount rejected which lead to orci exiting the film as a writer as well as director.
A thread about a feeling? Really?!

Does any of this have any basis in reality? Can any of it be linked or sourced? Or should I just close it and tell you to put it in a blog entry tagged "can't shake the feels"?
Old April 7 2015, 11:56 PM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

One complaint against the two Bad Robot films, is being set on Earth, for a large part. I don't think that one can be laid at Bad Robot's feet in General or Orci's feet in particular, I imagine that dictate was laid upon them by Paramount PTB.

Hopefully, now that two films are in the bag, plus the success of GotG, NuTrek 3 will be allowed to get away from Earth more, but, I don't think that's a guarantee.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old April 8 2015, 05:17 PM   #9
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Pretty much every TOS and TNG movie had its start at, or even basis around Earth... TMP (launch point for the Enterprise), TWOK (launch and resolution point for the Enterprise), TSFS (which had Earth as a sort of jumping off point for the story), TVH (occasional setting and ultimate destination of Kirk and crew), TFF (crew recreation and launch point for the Enterprise, and conclusion of movie), TUC (mission assigned from SFHQ, and launch point for the Enterprise), GEN (launch point for Enterprise B), FC (Earth is pretty much THE setting), NEM (wedding for Riker/Troi in Alaska). I think Insurrection is the only TNG film (let alone only Trek film...period) that didn't go anywhere near Earth.
Old April 8 2015, 05:28 PM   #10
HIjol
Rear Admiral

Location: Where "Mother Nature doesn't care if (I'm) having fun." LN

The OP said that Karl Urban had some originality issues with the script, and that she/he had a feeling Simon Pegg did not like ID. First, saying how much I enjoy both Pegg and Urban, I would ask, can two actors with only two Star Trek Movies (and nuVerse movies at that) have all that much of a mature view of what good Star Trek is? Second, I would say, IMHO, SP did not dislike ID. His role was reasonably meaty and diverse, and had some humor and centrality to the plot line.

Carl Sagan; US astronomer
and popularizer of astronomy (1934-1996)
Old April 8 2015, 05:34 PM   #11
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Seems to me it is exactly the same promotional palaver that absolutely anyone would deliver in regards to a Star Trek script at this point in the process. It says nothing at all about Pegg's feelings on the previous film.
Old April 8 2015, 05:43 PM   #12
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral

I don't know that Pegg deslikes anything.
Old April 8 2015, 05:51 PM   #13
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

No.
Old April 8 2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Dennis
The Man

BigJake wrote: View Post
Seems to me it is exactly the same promotional palaver that absolutely anyone would deliver in regards to a Star Trek script at this point in the process. It says nothing at all about Pegg's feelings on the previous film.
Exactly so.
Old April 8 2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Malaika
Commander

Wasn't Pegg the one who told the fans who didn't like stid to f**k off because they were just envious? And he said Orci truly gets trek (so did Urban)

I don't think he dislikes it, stid was written by 3 people and to be fair, there are things like Khan that Orci hadn't wanted (Lindelof did) ... probably he doesn't care either way and he is now just saying what he thinks he should say but it's not too indicative of his opinions about stid and what kind of script he'll write.
I could tell you that the vibe I got from that interview is that stid was too serious and dramatic for him and maybe for him keeping the spirit of the series means having something more funny and less angsty. Maybe he's just trying to justify, in advance, why the movie will have a different tone (that is more in his style)