Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 11 2013, 04:19 AM   #16
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: The Cage cast

I liked John Hoyt as the doctor, though if he'd been kept on, we wouldn't have gotten DeForest Kelley as McCoy. Hoyt was a good choice I thought, as he had sci-fi experience (the wheelchaired bad guy in When Worlds Collide, and had appeared as an alien in The Outer Limits: The Bellero Shield, with Sally Kellerman about a year before "The Cage"). I watched "The Menagerie" recently, and most of the nameless supporting characters in the "Cage" footage were memorably unmemorable.

The only thing I found notable about Peter Duryea was his voice sounded a bit like his dad's (Dan Duryea).
Old July 11 2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

mb22 wrote: View Post
Now, does anybody have pics of Miss Goodwin when she attended her only (as far as I know) convention back in '05?
http://www.knology.net/~trekfans/ima...men/Laurel.jpg
She's still adorable all these years later.
Old July 11 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I find Kirk's first crew from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" more interesting than Pike's. According to the 1966-67 NBC leaflet thingie in the middle of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (with the infamous airbrushed Spock photo), Kirk's supporting cast would have consisted of Dr. Piper (McCoy by another name, although there is mention of evaluating local flora, which never much came up in te series aside from "This Side of Paradise") Scotty (Scotty), Communications Officer Alden (a technician and one of the youngest members of the crew. Manhura.), Physicist Sulu (whose job was to tell us about each week's planet before we beamed down) and Yeoman Smith (Rand)
Old July 11 2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^Yeoman Smith was played up in that brochure and other publicity as being the third lead, part of the core trio with Kirk and Spock, but she ended up having exactly one line, "The name's Smith, sir." Plus that non-dialogue bit where she was scared and Mitchell held her hand. Otherwise, her entire purpose in the pilot was essentially decorative.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yeoman Smith was played up in that brochure and other publicity as being the third lead, part of the core trio with Kirk and Spock, but she ended up having exactly one line, "The name's Smith, sir." Plus that non-dialogue bit where she was scared and Mitchell held her hand. Otherwise, her entire purpose in the pilot was essentially decorative.
When Gene Roddenberry was asked about this non-part, he allegedly said : "I only hired her because I wanted to score with her."

He must have wanted that score pretty bad to promise her third lead
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:08 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

^Roddenberry wouldn't have been the one responsible for the decisions behind the creation of NBC's publicity material. The publicity people probably decided to play her up in promotion and photos because she was the only potentially recurring female character in the pilot cast and because she was really hot, and they wanted sex appeal to draw in male viewers. Grace Lee Whitney was played up the same way in later publicity photos, although in her case it was somewhat more accurate.

Old July 12 2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Yep, fair point. And even this Yeoman Colt fan must concede Miss Dromm is absolutely gorgeous.

So why did Dromm get chopped after the second pilot? Anyone know?
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Not keeping score?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
IMDb says:

Hollywood took notice of this easy, breezy, beautiful commercial model and enticed her to move West to forge an acting career. It was a reluctant move for her. Her first acting job would be in the second "Star Trek" pilot episode, which introduced William Shatner to the show. Although she was promised a continued run in the sci-fi series, she instead accepted her first film role.

The classic comedy/satire The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966) was a terrific introductory showcase for her in which she played a fetching-looking teenage babysitter who falls for a handsome young Russian sailor and protector (John Phillip Law). Both were surrounded by huge comedy talent in the film, including Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, Paul Ford and Jonathan Winters. Following this she revealed even more of her curvy assets as a pretty, bikini-draped undercover agent trying to solve a murder alongside equally pretty Troy Donahue in Come Spy with Me (1967). This movie bombed on arrival.

The Hollywood scene was not for Andrea, however, and, after a mere three acting jobs, willingly returned to New York and modeling again.
It also offers these quotes in her own words, though does not attribute them:
Since "Star Trek" (1966) was only a pilot they could keep you under option for six months and change your character or even worse drop you from the series. You had no guarantees that they would sign you for the series. I thought that doing the movie (The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966)) would be more exciting and a great thing to do. That was a choice I had to make and you can't look back.

I was offered a role in The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966). They told me you either had to do the film or the ("Star Trek" (1966)) series. I chose the film, but had I known that "Star Trek" would become such a phenomena, I probably would have opted for the series.

Old July 12 2013, 02:24 PM   #25
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Since "Star Trek" (1966) was only a pilot they could keep you under option for six months and change your character or even worse drop you from the series. You had no guarantees that they would sign you for the series. I thought that doing the movie (The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966)) would be more exciting and a great thing to do. That was a choice I had to make and you can't look back.

I was offered a role in The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966). They told me you either had to do the film or the ("Star Trek" (1966)) series. I chose the film, but had I known that "Star Trek" would become such a phenomena, I probably would have opted for the series.
The quotes are from the book Drive in Dream Girls (click link to read Google Books excerpts). It has interviews with both Dromm and Laurel Goodwin. Dromm also denies any hanky panky with Roddenberry.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:19 PM   #26
alexianyc
Ensign

mb22 wrote: View Post

The quotes are from the book Drive in Dream Girls (click link to read Google Books excerpts). It has interviews with both Dromm and Laurel Goodwin. Dromm also denies any hanky panky with Roddenberry.
Laurel Goodwin's quotes about the Cage cast are definitely interesting, particularly the ones about Majel Barrett.

Apparently she agrees with the network about Majel's talent, or lack thereof, and relationship with Roddenberry.
alexianyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

It is a very informative book. However, its too bad the editor didn't catch Yeoman Colt being referred to as "Ensign Holt".
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

Interesting interviews, although I'd dispute the wording that says Goodwin was 'fired' after the first pilot. It is interesting to read her claim that Roddenberry kept her on the hook with the promise of a return until two weeks before shooting on the second pilot. I'm not sure if that washes with the characters in Sam Peeples' first draft of the script, but it would be characteristic of Roddenberry not wanting to give the bad news.

EDIT: Peeple's first draft, dated May 25, 1965, has Yeoman Smith in it. Nimoy's new contract (for the second pilot and series) is dated June 2, 1965. I haven't seen Dromm's contract (although UCLA has it), but a safe bet suggests she signed it around the same time Nimoy signed his. Filming on the second pilot, by the way, began on July 19, 1965. If Roddenberry told Goodwin she was going to be in the second pilot until just two weeks before it was filmed, he wasn't being honest.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.

Last edited by Harvey; July 12 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:04 PM   #29
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^Just so people won't be confused, I think the first draft was 5-25-1965, not 1967.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Harvey
Admiral

Shh.

Thanks for catching that!

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote