Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2013, 03:16 AM   #76
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.
We're the monsters here, all for refusing to give our money to an innocent bigot who only wants to keep gay people from having rights. We should be ashamed of ourselves for not fulling endorsing his absurd beliefs.
Old July 10 2013, 03:17 AM   #77
sonak
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?

just because something is depicted in a novel doesn't mean that the author is supporting it. Actually, if you want to look into an interesting argument over interpretation of the book check out the "is Ender supposed to be a positive depiction of Hitler?" affair. (I think the answer is pretty clearly no)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:19 AM   #78
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I have no idea how this works as a comeback or reply to what I just said. Total non-sequitur.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:19 AM   #79
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.
In some countries (Canada) this would be considered hate-speech. It is illegal. You cannot slur people just because of who they are. It is not illegal to criticize somebody for their opinions, however.

I believe that getting emotional and using emotionally charged arguments does nothing to further one's agenda and only alienates those who already disagree with your argument. As DalekJim mentioned, there are already people slurring others just because of a disagreement about the quality of Ender's Game itself or wanting to see the film. This was where my (admittedly exaggerated) comparison with the Westboro Baptist's came from.

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:20 AM   #80
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I was planning on ignoring his movie not boycotting it.
Yup.
Old July 10 2013, 03:22 AM   #81
theenglish
Rear Admiral

There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?
And we should all avoid Tolkien because it supports a monarchy? Narnia because it promotes Christianity? Any book that contains elements we disagree with?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:23 AM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

theenglish wrote: View Post

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
Whose getting "emotionally riled up"? Seems like a pretty tame discussion to me.
Old July 10 2013, 03:27 AM   #83
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Whose getting "emotionally riled up"? Seems like a pretty tame discussion to me.
A few people are, but it isn't anyone who doesn't want to see the movie. I've have more heated discussions with friends than this snooze fest.
Old July 10 2013, 03:29 AM   #84
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The idea that Orson Scott Card should have made Ender an adult instead is pretty ludicrous. The whole point would have been lost.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:30 AM   #85
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
When the magic sky genie tells you to hate or you'll be tortured underground forever by his deformed son... You hate who he tells you to hate or it's a hot poker in each eye and then...

I feel that Satan is expected and supposed to rape the damned, but really, truly isn't it a little bit of a double standard that Lucifer is not only allowed to be gay but mandated to be a screaming queer? Unless of course that the Devil doesn't want to be an expert sodomist? That the prince of darkness being forced to undergo a series of endless gay activities is his own punishment for that nasty little coup he tried to pull on his dad?

So this is what's going through Orson's head... If I can make the gays feel miserable, maybe even get a couple of them back into the vagina business, then God will love me and I will have a wicked afterlife of eternal reward. It's a pay off for being an asshole. That doesn't seem too bad if god is on the level. You can't tell me that Willy Fucking Wonka has more dimensions than god? Beides, this is the exact same shit he pulled with Job.

Disguising the gate to hell as the easy way out.
You should be a national treasure.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:36 AM   #86
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.
In some countries (Canada) this would be considered hate-speech. It is illegal. You cannot slur people just because of who they are. It is not illegal to criticize somebody for their opinions, however.

I believe that getting emotional and using emotionally charged arguments does nothing to further one's agenda and only alienates those who already disagree with your argument. As DalekJim mentioned, there are already people slurring others just because of a disagreement about the quality of Ender's Game itself or wanting to see the film. This was where my (admittedly exaggerated) comparison with the Westboro Baptist's came from.

I don't understand what this response has to do with what I posted.
Old July 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #87
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I have no idea how this works as a comeback or reply to what I just said. Total non-sequitur.
Come on. You can't have missed what he's talking about. It was a direct reference.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #88
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Why should I knowingly put money in the pockets of a bigot?

Pass.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:50 AM   #89
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

I don't see why people are getting so upset because some people don't like a book and don't want to see a movie about it. Go see the movie if you want, I don't care. If you don't want to support the author, more power to you. I might check it out if the reviews are good.

I'm only here because Orson Scott Card is a whiny child who wants my money when I'd rather give to something else. If fact, his crybaby antics turn me off to his work. Especially after pushing for all that he has pushed for. I can separate the artist from the art. I enjoy Heinlein and he was a nut. Usually the crazier the author, the better the book. But Card is a whiny little bitch, so fuck him and his movie. If you disagree and want to see the movie, good for you and enjoy yourself. I'd rather go see Pacific Rim and watch robots fight monsters.
Old July 10 2013, 04:06 AM   #90
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How is the morality on stealing his movie through torrents?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote