RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,802
Posts: 5,326,031
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 626
Newest member: USS Vesta

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 10 2013, 03:16 AM   #76
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.
We're the monsters here, all for refusing to give our money to an innocent bigot who only wants to keep gay people from having rights. We should be ashamed of ourselves for not fulling endorsing his absurd beliefs.
__________________
"Libertarianism is a good idea on paper, until you look at it."
Greg Proops, The Smartest Man in the World
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:17 AM   #77
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?

just because something is depicted in a novel doesn't mean that the author is supporting it. Actually, if you want to look into an interesting argument over interpretation of the book check out the "is Ender supposed to be a positive depiction of Hitler?" affair. (I think the answer is pretty clearly no)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:19 AM   #78
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.
I have no idea how this works as a comeback or reply to what I just said. Total non-sequitur.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:19 AM   #79
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Davros wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.
In some countries (Canada) this would be considered hate-speech. It is illegal. You cannot slur people just because of who they are. It is not illegal to criticize somebody for their opinions, however.

I believe that getting emotional and using emotionally charged arguments does nothing to further one's agenda and only alienates those who already disagree with your argument. As DalekJim mentioned, there are already people slurring others just because of a disagreement about the quality of Ender's Game itself or wanting to see the film. This was where my (admittedly exaggerated) comparison with the Westboro Baptist's came from.

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:20 AM   #80
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Davros wrote: View Post
I was planning on ignoring his movie not boycotting it.
Yup.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:22 AM   #81
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?
And we should all avoid Tolkien because it supports a monarchy? Narnia because it promotes Christianity? Any book that contains elements we disagree with?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:23 AM   #82
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
Whose getting "emotionally riled up"? Seems like a pretty tame discussion to me.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:27 AM   #83
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
Whose getting "emotionally riled up"? Seems like a pretty tame discussion to me.
A few people are, but it isn't anyone who doesn't want to see the movie. I've have more heated discussions with friends than this snooze fest.
__________________
"Libertarianism is a good idea on paper, until you look at it."
Greg Proops, The Smartest Man in the World
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:29 AM   #84
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?
The idea that Orson Scott Card should have made Ender an adult instead is pretty ludicrous. The whole point would have been lost.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:30 AM   #85
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
When the magic sky genie tells you to hate or you'll be tortured underground forever by his deformed son... You hate who he tells you to hate or it's a hot poker in each eye and then...

I feel that Satan is expected and supposed to rape the damned, but really, truly isn't it a little bit of a double standard that Lucifer is not only allowed to be gay but mandated to be a screaming queer? Unless of course that the Devil doesn't want to be an expert sodomist? That the prince of darkness being forced to undergo a series of endless gay activities is his own punishment for that nasty little coup he tried to pull on his dad?

So this is what's going through Orson's head... If I can make the gays feel miserable, maybe even get a couple of them back into the vagina business, then God will love me and I will have a wicked afterlife of eternal reward. It's a pay off for being an asshole. That doesn't seem too bad if god is on the level. You can't tell me that Willy Fucking Wonka has more dimensions than god? Beides, this is the exact same shit he pulled with Job.

Disguising the gate to hell as the easy way out.
You should be a national treasure.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:36 AM   #86
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.
In some countries (Canada) this would be considered hate-speech. It is illegal. You cannot slur people just because of who they are. It is not illegal to criticize somebody for their opinions, however.

I believe that getting emotional and using emotionally charged arguments does nothing to further one's agenda and only alienates those who already disagree with your argument. As DalekJim mentioned, there are already people slurring others just because of a disagreement about the quality of Ender's Game itself or wanting to see the film. This was where my (admittedly exaggerated) comparison with the Westboro Baptist's came from.

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.
I don't understand what this response has to do with what I posted.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #87
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.
I have no idea how this works as a comeback or reply to what I just said. Total non-sequitur.
Come on. You can't have missed what he's talking about. It was a direct reference.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #88
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Why should I knowingly put money in the pockets of a bigot?

Pass.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:50 AM   #89
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

I don't see why people are getting so upset because some people don't like a book and don't want to see a movie about it. Go see the movie if you want, I don't care. If you don't want to support the author, more power to you. I might check it out if the reviews are good.

I'm only here because Orson Scott Card is a whiny child who wants my money when I'd rather give to something else. If fact, his crybaby antics turn me off to his work. Especially after pushing for all that he has pushed for. I can separate the artist from the art. I enjoy Heinlein and he was a nut. Usually the crazier the author, the better the book. But Card is a whiny little bitch, so fuck him and his movie. If you disagree and want to see the movie, good for you and enjoy yourself. I'd rather go see Pacific Rim and watch robots fight monsters.
__________________
"Libertarianism is a good idea on paper, until you look at it."
Greg Proops, The Smartest Man in the World
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:06 AM   #90
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

How is the morality on stealing his movie through torrents?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.