Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2013, 04:56 PM   #241
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

also:

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I did move on, pages ago. You keep replying to unrelated posts and dragging this stuff up.
We've already had a poster in this thread state Ender's Game is anti-gay, and that the enemy alien race are a stand-in for homosexuals. We've also had somebody link to an article they praise, in which Ender's Game is stated to be based on the life of Adolph Hitler.
delicious hypocrisy

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:02 PM   #242
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I was replying to Locutus of Bored's post directed at me. It's ridiculous for that to count.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:03 PM   #243
Avon
Fleet Captain

it counts.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 11 2013, 05:04 PM   #244
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

So Locutus quizzes me on a point, I give him my reply, and he's entitled to tell me to fucking move on and stop discussing the matter?

Baffling.
Old July 11 2013, 05:05 PM   #245
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

You've been bringing up people boycotting based on not understanding the book throughout the whole thread, which is the entire reason I mentioned it being an overused and misplaced argument. If you had only said it once we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:07 PM   #246
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not really, it's worlds of difference. Firing someone for their political views is illegal. Making a choice not to support the work of someone who's political beliefs disagree with yours is legal and an integral part of Capitalism
I could very well be wrong, but I was under the impression that your politics aren't protected from discrimination in the workplace in the way your gender or religion are. Also, I'd hardly call that an integral part of capitalism. Regardless, I'm not trying to make any points about the legalities of the situations. Just the similarities in attitudes where people feel the need to hurt someone's bottom line when they don't like what they say.
Old July 11 2013, 05:08 PM   #247
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You've been bringing up people boycotting based on not understanding the book throughout the whole thread, which is the entire reason I mentioned it being an overused and misplaced argument. If you had only said it once we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
The conversation has evolved and moved on to other matters several times, before you walk in and hector me, dragging us back to the beginning. If you want me to stop mentioning certain points then stop posting replies to me that bring them up. It is the most counter-productive thing you could possibly do.
Old July 11 2013, 05:11 PM   #248
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Not really, it's worlds of difference. Firing someone for their political views is illegal. Making a choice not to support the work of someone who's political beliefs disagree with yours is legal and an integral part of Capitalism
I could very well be wrong, but I was under the impression that your politics aren't protected from discrimination in the workplace in the way your gender or religion are. Also, I'd hardly call that an integral part of capitalism. Regardless, I'm not trying to make any points about the legalities of the situations. Just the similarities in attitudes where people feel the need to hurt someone's bottom line when they don't like what they say.
Political views, no they're not protected, but, they also are not firable offenses, you have to have an actual justified reason for firing someone. A bumper sticker is not such a legitimate reason.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:13 PM   #249
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

before you walk in and hector me
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:15 PM   #250
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Political views, no they're not protected, but, they also are not firable offenses, you have to have an actual justified reason for firing someone. A bumper sticker is not such a legitimate reason.
Yeah, political views aren't protected by law from being firable offences but like, neither is a guy's choice of favourite Ninja Turtle. An "Obama sucks!" bumper sticker, while entirely correct, would not warrant a firing.
Old July 11 2013, 05:15 PM   #251
Avon
Fleet Captain

If you want me to stop mentioning certain points then stop posting replies to me that bring them up.
and people keep telling you that those aren't reasons why anyone here might boycott the film.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 11 2013, 05:22 PM   #252
Yoda
Rear Admiral

We're both in California, an at-will state, which as I understand it means you don't need cause to fire someone.
Old July 11 2013, 05:28 PM   #253
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just the similarities in attitudes where people feel the need to hurt someone's bottom line when they don't like what they say.
It's not about what Card said, because I doubt anyone here is 100% proud of every word they've uttered in their life. The difference here is that Card was taking an active part in trying to revoke the rights of citizens whose lifestyle he disagrees with.
Old July 11 2013, 05:45 PM   #254
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I'm not one for confusing the art and artist - Picasso was a misogynistic prick, but that doesn't make his paintings bad. Card's not exactly going to use the money he makes from Ender's Game to go on any anti-gay rights campaigns, so I don't see the point of a boycott based on his personal opinions about homosexuality.
You don't think he hasn't contributed to National Organization for Marriage, an anti gay marriage organization, the same organization he sits on the board of? Whatever money he HAS contributed came from the money he's earned... so... yeah, he will go on an anti-gay rights campaign.
Didn't know this but must say that I don't care. The NOM was formed specifically to fund the passing of Prop 8 in California, where I live. I voted against Prop 8, which is the proper political response to people who suport legislation you disagree with. Prop 8, in case you missed it, is dead. The National Organization for Marriage will probably persue other legislation, which will likewise be struck down as unconstitutional should any of it pass. Discrimination is unconstitutional in this country and it is plain, especially after the recent SCOTUS decisions that, though it may take some time, laws discriminating against gays are not going to stand.

Orson Scott Card is a minor author in the grand scheme of things, who mostly rants his hate speech on his blog. Don't like his hate speech? Don't read his blog. Don't like his political views? Vote the other way, just as I did on Prop 8, and give your money to groups that support the laws you want to see enacted, which is your right, as well as his.

More power to anyone who wants to boycott the movie and Card's books to protest supporters of anti-gay legislation. But I'd find a discussion of why so many people find Ender's Game's twisted morality compelling to be far more interesting.
Old July 11 2013, 05:49 PM   #255
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I'd rather be obtuse than constantly look for reasons to be upset .
Your posts read as you were constantly enraged against something, and you go to great lengths to scorn anyone who disagrees with you. So if that was your goal, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that you are failing at it.

sonak wrote: View Post
I think progressivism is about positive change, not change in general. Therefore, more pessimistic sci-fi, like dystopian sci-fi, wouldn't necessarily be "progressive."
Well, I purposefully left-out the argument if change would be actually positive or negative to frame the discussion in the most neutral way possible. A sci-fi story with a dystopic future is usually used to argue that a specific type of change will be bad, not that change in general is a bad thing. Conservative thinking, on the other hand, holds that change is bad for society per se, usually idealizing a past "Golden Age" against which the modern world is compared and found lacking.