TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3566122.html

Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.

For more info on the boycott
http://skipendersgame.com/
Old July 9 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

gay marriage being ok'd doesn't stop a homophobic douchebag being homophobic, and won't stop me boycotting that film.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Political Issue that didn't exist in 1984?

Huh? I've been Gay since before 1984, and Gay Marriage was still not legal then, and no Same Sex Couples benefits were granted.

I think what he meant to say was, there wasn't enough support in 1984 for Equal Rights for us, but, it still was a Political issue and every bit the problem it is now.

So, no, saying "no one would've boycotted in 1984 because there wasn't enough understanding of how wrong the inequality was back then", doesn't give you a pass.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I try to separate the views from the person. It might still make me at the person, but I can still appreciate the person's talent, so long as their views are not propagated heavily in their works. I guess, from what I hear, the story of Ender's Game does little to propagate his asinine views on the gay issue. I liked his novelization of The Abyss, and it was and will continue to be one of my favorite SF books. None of his politics were in that book. And I hear that the film was not made with his collaboration and nor would he be getting more than the very basic compensation that a writer would get.

By contrast, I'm not for religious films, and I wasn't a huge fan of the not-so-subtle religious message of the first Narnia film.
Old July 9 2013, 11:06 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

His political views don't affect me in the slightest. If a movie looks good, I'll watch it. If it looks like shit, I won't.
Old July 9 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Nothing stops a boycott quite like giving it more attention in the press, using the old "I am rubber, you are glue" gambit to accuse the boycotters of not tolerating intolerance, and reminding everyone of what a bigoted douchenozzle you are.

I doubt this boycott is going to be hugely effective, but I do kind of feel bad for the other people involved who just wanted to make a cool scifi film without being dragged down by this asshole's reputation. In the case of the Superman Anthology comic, people were simply asking for his segment to be removed beforehand, so it didn't harm the other participants. I mean, they knew what they were getting into by signing a deal with him, I guess, but I do feel a little bad for the other non-homophobic people involved in making the movie.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I try to separate the views from the person.
I don't know if you can do that here. Orson Scott Card is so closely associated with "Ender's Game" that promoting one will inevitably promote the other.
Old July 9 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yminale wrote: View Post
I don't know if you can do that here. Orson Scott Card is so closely associated with "Ender's Game" that promoting one will inevitably promote the other.
I never even knew he had views until people here started bitching about them.
Old July 9 2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

well thats your problem for not knowing, not ours.

and complaining about homophobia ''bitching''?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just don't really care much about the personal lives of people I don't know. I read his book. I liked his book. Beyond that, I don't really care about him.
Old July 9 2013, 11:43 PM   #11
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'll be seeing it because Ender's Game is one of the best sci-fi novels of the past 40 years and I've long been curious how a film of the material would be.

If I only experienced art from people I politically agreed with, then I'd be severely limiting myself.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Yminale
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I never even knew he had views until people here started bitching about them.
Well that's the point of the boycott. It's not that Card has and alternative opinion you disagree with. Things he said were VILE and the only thing missing was that he didn't demand gays be stoned to death.
Old July 9 2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Yminale
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If I only experienced art from people I politically agreed with, then I'd be severely limiting myself.
Call me a Leftist Marxist but Art in some sense political and I don't find films from people I outright disagree with enjoyable (*cough* Michael Bay *cough*)
Old July 9 2013, 11:57 PM   #14
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Call me a Leftist Marxist but Art in some sense political and I don't find films from people I outright disagree with enjoyable (*cough* Michael Bay *cough*)
I think you're limiting yourself for no real reason. I can enjoy films from Russian communist filmmakers or even a Nazi director like Leni Reifenstahl. I can listen to Wagner, Burzum, etc.

I worry sometimes modern liberalism makes a virtue of being offended. I assure you that Ender's Game has nothing to do with homosexuality.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think you're limiting yourself for no real reason. I can enjoy films from Russian communist filmmakers or even a Nazi director like Leni Reifenstahl. I can listen to Wagner, Burzum, etc.

I worry sometimes modern liberalism makes a virtue of being offended. I assure you that Ender's Game has nothing to do with homosexuality.
Yes, because modern conservatives never take offense at anything.