Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 9 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Crazyewok
Commander

Why did Kirk Kill Mitchell?

Just watched were no man has gone before.

Why didnt they just go with the orginal plan of just marooning him.

After they fixed the ship they could have just beamed up and left him and Dehner on planet as the transporters were working.

Once back in contact at starfleet they could have just made the planet a quarantined planet like talos and left it as that.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: Why did Kirk Kill Mitchell?

Maybe Kirk was afraid, Mitchell would ultimately become so powerful that he could force starships to come to him regardless of a quarantine zone ... or escape from Delta Vega some other way.
Or Kirk just had "issues" after Mitchell killed Kelso.

I´ve always wondered, if Mitchell was killed at all. When that rock fell on him he had already regained his power. And with his power present, not even a blast from a phaser rifle could harm him.
Just a thought ...

Mario
Old July 9 2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Crazyewok
Commander

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Maybe Kirk was afraid, Mitchell would ultimately become so powerful that he could force starships to come to him regardless of a quarantine zone ... or escape from Delta Vega some other way.
Or Kirk just had "issues" after Mitchell killed Kelso.

I´ve always wondered, if Mitchell was killed at all. When that rock fell on him he had already regained his power. And with his power present, not even a blast from a phaser rifle could harm him.
Just a thought ...

Mario

There had to be some cap on the power as the crew of the Valient did not end up detroying the Galaxy so his power must have stoped growing at some point.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
There had to be some cap on the power as the crew of the Valient did not end up detroying the Galaxy so his power must have stoped growing at some point.
Except the captain of the Valiant destroyed his own ship before that could happen.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
feek61
Captain

Mitchell could make organic material appear out of thin air. What would have stopped him from making a ship appear out of thin air?
Old July 9 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I always thought it was pretty clear that Kirk couldn't let Mitchell survive.
Old July 9 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Apparently, after Mitchell had killed his friend Kelso in cold blood (more like "crushed like an insect" as he had announced he would in the transporter rrom) he had crossed a line and revealed that he had become personified evil (i.e. militant selfish- and ruthlessness) and considering his powers he needed to be stopped, judged (for killing a fellow shipmate) and executed.

Kirk made that clear with what he probably thought would be his last order:

KIRK: If you have not received a signal from me within twelve hours, you'll proceed at maximum warp to the nearest Earth base with my recommendation that this entire planet be subjected to a lethal concentration of neutron radiation. No protest on this, Mark. That's an order.

Of course and most likely, the Q Continuum would have put a stop to Mitchell's rampage (where do the Q come from, did they also encounter the energy barrier?) but Kirk did it himself, so they didn't see the need to interfere.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Of course and most likely, the Q Continuum would have put a stop to Mitchell's rampage
Doubtful since they probably would only care if he came after them.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

i think that it was less Kirk going after Mitchell to get Mitchell, and more Kirk going to attempt to rescue Dehner.

Kirk would not have realized that she had "turned," and could easily have thought she had left with Mitchell unwillingly.

Otherwise Kirk and the ship would have simply left, and proceeded with the plan to irradiate the planet later.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Mitchell: "I'll just keep getting stronger. You know that, don't you?"

Yup, he did know that. There was no foreseeable limit to Mitchell's growth and power. Mitchell had to die or else grow so powerful, anything would be possible for him. Even getting off the planet. Either Kirk would have to do the deed, or his last order would (hopefully) take care of it.

The real question should be, "why didn't Kirk just grab the phaser rifle when Gary was normalized and blow him away instead of having a brawl?" I mean, aside from "the episode had to end with a fistfight in a ditch."
Old July 9 2013, 06:27 PM   #11
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Mitchell: "I'll just keep getting stronger. You know that, don't you?"

Yup, he did know that. There was no foreseeable limit to Mitchell's growth and power. Mitchell had to die or else grow so powerful, anything would be possible for him. Even getting off the planet. Either Kirk would have to do the deed, or his last order would (hopefully) take care of it.

The real question should be, "why didn't Kirk just grab the phaser rifle when Gary was normalized and blow him away instead of having a brawl?" I mean, aside from "the episode had to end with a fistfight in a ditch."
On-screen evidence suggests that Micthell flung Kirk's phaser rifle too far away for Kirk to recover it promptly (the parabolic arc looked very long and shallow, we never heard it hit the ground). Coupled with Dehner's warning to Kirk after Mitchell and Dehner's struggle ("Hurry! You haven't much time!") and Kirk probably thought that his only option was to try to kill Mitchell with his bare hands. Or, perhaps he was simply trying to incapacitate him until another solution could be devised.

Either way, the fistfight never felt forced or contrived to me. In fact, unforced and uncontrived fistfights are my favorite kind.
Old July 9 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

And, then I went back at watched the clip with the fistfight and saw that the rifle was actually only a few meters away...my bad.

Although, it landed in a place Kirk wouldn't have seen when he began fighting Mitchell. It's possible he didn't know where the rifle was until he and Mitchell took the fight over that big boulder and down the hill.

Still not contrived!
Old July 9 2013, 06:31 PM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Of course and most likely, the Q Continuum would have put a stop to Mitchell's rampage
Doubtful since they probably would only care if he came after them.
Doubtful being as they didn't exist at the time...
Old July 9 2013, 07:05 PM   #14
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

after seeing Kelso Kirk realized Spoke and ( and Mitchell) were right he would be so powerful that he had to be stopped ( for good)
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Hmm. I wonder if Dehner and Mitchell would have eventually become so powerful they would have lost corporeal form and moved on. Our entire reality so below them that they just ignore it?