Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which doctor would you want to work on you?
Phlox 4 3.67%
Leonard McCoy 32 29.36%
Beverly Crusher 18 16.51%
Julian Bashir 28 25.69%
The Doctor 27 24.77%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22 2013, 08:07 PM   #106
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Poll: Which doctor would you want to work on you?

^Though it is simulated.

Leah Brahms' hologram wasn't the same as her counterpart, Barclay's recreation of Voyager's crew (though the Maquis' outfits were accurate) was inaccurate, and the last episode of Enterprise (though it may be just me) the hair and makeup was off. Who's to say the EMH didn't have a flaw or two. If he was perfect, they wouldn't have made a Mark II (though moving from Robert Picardo to Andy Dick is a step down if you ask me).
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:34 PM   #107
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^Though it is simulated.

Leah Brahms' hologram wasn't the same as her counterpart, Barclay's recreation of Voyager's crew (though the Maquis' outfits were accurate) was inaccurate, and the last episode of Enterprise (though it may be just me) the hair and makeup was off. Who's to say the EMH didn't have a flaw or two. If he was perfect, they wouldn't have made a Mark II (though moving from Robert Picardo to Andy Dick is a step down if you ask me).
Feel-good verbiage. Unsubstantiated, though.
Writing 'simulated' doesn't change the fact that the Doctor proved able to match and exceed meat doctors at his profession - among others.
In general, trek depicted high-end holograms as far more capable than mere biologicals.
Old November 22 2013, 09:09 PM   #108
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^In the first season (or two) he had trouble becoming the new chief officer. Didn't he say on multiple occasions how he wasn't designed to do the things they charged him with? He did adapt and by the end he was as good as the rest of them, but he wasn't always like that.
Old January 24 2014, 10:54 PM   #109
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

I do not like drs but the one I would let work on me would be Dr. McCoy at least I know I could trust him with my life if need be.
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 02:13 AM   #110
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^In the first season (or two) he had trouble becoming the new chief officer. Didn't he say on multiple occasions how he wasn't designed to do the things they charged him with? He did adapt and by the end he was as good as the rest of them, but he wasn't always like that.
The EMH was never designed for long-term use. I think he's said that at least a couple of times.

But those were only matters of looks and/or personality. The EMH's medical knowledge itself is unquestionable. Now, true, it's important to have a doctor that can interact with patients personally and do it well, but strictly in terms of medical expertise, the EMH is flawless - such things are not subject to interpretation. Either the EMH knows how to treat you or it doesn't. Either he can cure a disease or he can't. It's one or the other.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 10:05 AM   #111
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The EMH was never designed for long-term use. I think he's said that at least a couple of times.

But those were only matters of looks and/or personality. The EMH's medical knowledge itself is unquestionable. Now, true, it's important to have a doctor that can interact with patients personally and do it well, but strictly in terms of medical expertise, the EMH is flawless - such things are not subject to interpretation. Either the EMH knows how to treat you or it doesn't. Either he can cure a disease or he can't. It's one or the other.
Leah Brahms was a diagnostic program but true, The Doctor's level is far superior. To our standards he is flawless and he can learn and adapt. My only vice against him in this thread is he's overkill choosing him to make sure you don't miss anything. If you like his personality, that's one thing, but Bones can do whatever The Doctor can do on a patient from our world.

The Doctor is the best doctor, but is he the best doctor for you?
Old January 26 2014, 12:10 PM   #112
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I've always adored Beverly Crusher, for many reasons, but her empathy for her patients is why I'd want her working on me, if she had to. And besides, she's the Chief Medical Officer in a STAR TREK series, so ... her competency is absolutely assured.
Old January 26 2014, 01:59 PM   #113
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Helena Russell hands down. She had the glossiest lips on Moonbase Alpha and she handed out sedatives like candy.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 02:36 PM   #114
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Bones was the best doctor.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:28 PM   #115
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Bones can do whatever The Doctor can do on a patient from our world.
How so? Logically, the EMH would have a better chance.

I'm not dissing McCoy by any means, but he only has his own memories and experiences. The EMH has that, plus those of thousands of other doctors. Do the math.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:02 PM   #116
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Helena Russell hands down. She had the glossiest lips on Moonbase Alpha and she handed out sedatives like candy.
LOL. The glossiest lips and softest focus.

And who can forget Doc Cottle's low-visibility operating table?
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:34 PM   #117
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Isolinear wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
LOL. The glossiest lips and softest focus.

And who can forget Doc Cottle's low-visibility operating table?
LOL! Yeah they must have had a whole ship given over to tobacco plants just to keep the old coot from dying of nicotine withdrawal.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 06:50 PM   #118
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
In general, trek depicted high-end holograms as far more capable than mere biologicals.
No, as BBJEG pointed out, Starfleet replaced the mark one with the mark two, it's unlikely that they would have done that simply because the mark one was "crabby."

The Doctor was superior (for some reason) than those holograms, it wasn't simply a matter than "he" was a hologram with abundant programming, there was something different and unique about him.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Either the EMH knows how to treat you or it doesn't. Either he can cure a disease or he can't. It's one or the other.
The Doctor was able to go beyond his programming, he was intuitive. His abilities were more than a matter of knowledge.

Intuitive -- using or based on what one feels to be true without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

Old February 1 2014, 03:31 AM   #119
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

McCoy also shows compassion which I strongly need right about now
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 06:03 AM   #120
JesdenScott
Ensign

Phlox without a doubt.

He seems like he'd have the most interesting "bedside manner" with cool stories to tell and maybe let me play with some of his weird pets
JesdenScott is offline   Reply With Quote