Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 12 2013, 12:48 AM   #16
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Similitude vs. Tuvix

Sim only chose death because the alternative was a few more days of life and then death.

The moral dilemma in Similitude to me wasn't killing him so much as creating him. Creating a sentient life form for a strictly utilitarian purpose. And it's something they probably wouldn't have done if they weren't in a situation where Trip's survival didn't significantly increase the odds of saving Earth.

So the difference between Tuvix and Similitude is the magnitude of the stakes.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:50 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Bukiyo wrote: View Post
I don't think the decision to make Sim was morally wrong, it's no different than parents who have another child to use the stem cells from the placenta to cure an already sick child they have
It's more like if the parents had the child for the sole purpose of being able to donate organ parts to an already sick child they have on a by-need basis.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:57 AM   #18
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Sim represented the grim possibility that human life might be valued only for the organs that can be harvested. Tuvix was a riff on Freaky Friday.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:24 PM   #19
JJohnson
Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Tuvix was worse. Transporter accident created a new life from two individuals. They should've accepted this change (Federation Principles after all) and not pursued the course of separating them in to two individuals again.

With Sim it wasn't just his life that was at stake at being lost it was Trip's. It's reminiscent of the movie "The Island" with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. Clones were created by the wealthy and their bodies, and organs were used for a multitude of purposes should their original need them. However Sim only had a short life expectancy to begin with. It's not like "The Island" where the clones were capable of living full lives. Sim had weeks if not months to live a full life before he would expire. I can understand the logic behind it. It's similar to what we have today with organ cloning and transplants. Sim just happened to have a mind and could think and make decisions. If he hadn't he would be no different than a cloned liver that would be transplanted into an alcoholic who has used and abused their original liver.

Not squeaky clean but given Archer's situation I think he was justified to allow Pholox the go ahead with the cloning. Had Sim not volunteered or ran away like he planned then Trip would've died and Sim would've have also.
And "The Island" was a complete knock-off of "Parts: The Clonus Horror" - in some obvious ways. Thank you MST3K.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I take it you're not a fan of Neelix?
Are you kidding? I love the guy!

Whats not to...

I can't do this.
Old July 13 2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Bukiyo
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

It's more like if the parents had the child for the sole purpose of being able to donate organ parts to an already sick child they have on a by-need basis.

Like I said, there are parents who do that to varying degrees... kids who need bone marrow is another example
Bukiyo is offline   Reply With Quote