Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 4 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

The only reason to have a Starfleet Academy...

is bonding?

Anything else could be simulated at home on a holodeck.

Why would school be necessary in the Federation with all that technology?
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Metryq
Captain

Re: The only reason to have a Starfleet Academy...

I nitpick some sci-fi myself, so I am not innocent. However, a critic must be mindful that sci-fi is never a "prediction" of the future. The best sci-fi is an allegory of our own world. (Otherwise, what's the relevance to the audience?) Lots of excellent sci-fi from the early and even mid 20th century is now hopelessly outdated. I'm sure all of us can think up plenty of examples. Yet that does not invalidate the human aspects of those stories. Newer stories might take virtual worlds, augmented reality, and 24/7 mobile connectivity for granted because that is what today's audiences understand as normal and common.

Starfleet Academy is a shorthand for the kind of training audiences understand intuitively. Just because a technology exists does not mean that it is most efficient—economically or otherwise. Episodes in the holodeck were one of the four or five basic story ideas making up all of TNG. (Other "types" include the Q stories, the Data plays with his emotion chip stories, time travel, etc.) Starfleet is supposed to be about exploring the frontier, boldly going and meeting new civilizations. Starfleet is not about glorified couch potatoes.
Old July 4 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Forbin
Admiral

Does everyone in the galaxy have a holodeck in their living room?
Will they be able to teach a course to students from 27 different planets across two quadrants simultaneously via subspace radio?

Surely, even in the future, the best way will be to gather students together in one room, to learn together and share ideas.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

Bonding is one aspect of being together. Simply being able to tolerate crowds of colleagues is another - a vital skill that many applicants might have to learn from scratch. Having to go where told is also educational for anybody wishing to follow the Starfleet lifestyle...

Of course, it also helps to have all your officers-to-be behold the might of Earth at point-blank range.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

I'd wager in that simulation is not equal to the lives they would lead in the Academy. Of course bonding would be a big part of it, they need to trust each other. However the way of life they would learn as part of that team within the Academy would be based around attending training, being observed, climbing up the ranks. I'd find it hard to see that working as a simulation.
Old July 4 2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Why explore at all. Send out robots and let folks sit in overstuffed loungers having the experiences pumped into their heads?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Ain Jalut wrote: View Post
is bonding?
Good call..

Fan have wondered for some time why from dialog there is apparently only "The Academy." It does make more sense to have multiple campuses spread throughout the federation. Why have just the one?

Team building, espirt de corp, converting individuals into a "band of brothers." So you travel the cadets all to a central location, make them live, eat, sleep, learn together. Dress them the same, treat them the same.

E pluribus unum.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:30 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Why explore at all. Send out robots and let folks sit in overstuffed loungers having the experiences pumped into their heads?
Inherently, no one ever has to leave their house at all with replicators that can instantly deliver any food or item they want at their fingertips.

I may be in the minority, but personally, I think not everything is so easily accessible in the Federation. Replicators may be common aboard starships, but they may not be in the average household just like how transporter systems may not be, IMO. Most people still have to go out and get stuff (including specialized training).

T'Girl wrote:
Fan have wondered for some time why from dialog there is apparently only "The Academy." It does make more sense to have multiple campuses spread throughout the federation. Why have just the one?
Onscreen material seems to suggest that San Francisco is the location of the main campus, but that Starfleet cadets receive training from all over the Federation. It could be a case that cadets travel back and forth between Earth and other training centers over the course of their overall term. Some cadets may even earn Academy credits serving for awhile aboard active-duty starships and distant starbases as midshipmen.
Old July 4 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

Replicators may be common aboard starships, but they may not be in the average household just like how transporter systems may not be, IMO.
Of interest here might be that in "The Maquis", the Cardassians "poisoned the wells" of the colonists by reprogramming their "public" food replicators.

Now, this may be the far frontier, which we know is teeming with luddites. But that aside, the existence of public replicators may or may not indicate that private ones are rare. Or then it merely indicates that Cardassian saboteurs can access public systems more easily than private ones. Certainly it would seem odd that the colonists would have to spell out to each other that these replicators are "public" if there are no other kind.

This would tend to undermine the colonists' insistence that only the core world people can be saints in paradise - the benefits of a replicator society would still seem to be available to the frontier settlements.

Onscreen material seems to suggest that San Francisco is the location of the main campus
Indeed - but there's no real evidence for the existence of another campus as such. Possible training facilities such as flight ranges, yes; possible dedicated entry exam facilities, yes (the one from "Coming of Age" seemed to be quite an investment in infrastructure, as it featured a somewhat extensive physical simulator, probably pre-holodeck era). But other clusters of lecture halls and dormitories? Not quite mentioned.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
The best sci-fi is an allegory of our own world.
I don't know if I agree. I don't watch fiction to be reminded of real life. I have real life for that.
Old July 4 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Replicators may be common aboard starships, but they may not be in the average household just like how transporter systems may not be, IMO.
Of interest here might be that in "The Maquis", the Cardassians "poisoned the wells" of the colonists by reprogramming their "public" food replicators.

Now, this may be the far frontier, which we know is teeming with luddites. But that aside, the existence of public replicators may or may not indicate that private ones are rare. Or then it merely indicates that Cardassian saboteurs can access public systems more easily than private ones. Certainly it would seem odd that the colonists would have to spell out to each other that these replicators are "public" if there are no other kind.

This would tend to undermine the colonists' insistence that only the core world people can be saints in paradise - the benefits of a replicator society would still seem to be available to the frontier settlements.
In short, not everyone may have a replicator.
Onscreen material seems to suggest that San Francisco is the location of the main campus
Indeed - but there's no real evidence for the existence of another campus as such.
There were actually two listed briefly on monitors in TNG's "Eye of the Beholder," where two different officers graduated. One on Beta Ursae Minor II,
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...onnel_file.jpg

and another on Beta Acquilae II.
Old July 4 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There were actually two listed briefly on monitors in TNG's "Eye of the Beholder," where two different officers graduated. One on Beta Ursae Minor II,

Those images are somewhat hard to make out, so if my read is flawed, forgive me.

Lois Eckridge apparently attended a "academy" on the same planet on which she was born, it not clear if she graduated from that particular academy, or even if this academy was Starfleet Academy.

From the dates, the academy mention could have possible been her high school.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Those images are somewhat hard to make out, so if my read is flawed, forgive me.

Lois Eckridge apparently attended a "academy" on the same planet on which she was born, it not clear if she graduated from that particular academy, or even if this academy was Starfleet Academy.
The images on both do say Starfleet Academy, but they list different planets.
Louis Eckridge's file says Starfleet Academy, Beta Acquilae II
Darien Wallace's file says Starfleet Academy, Beta Ursae Minor II
Old July 5 2013, 05:00 AM   #14
Bah Humbug
Admiral

Replicators may be common aboard starships, but they may not be in the average household just like how transporter systems may not be, IMO. Most people still have to go out and get stuff (including specialized training).
The TNG episode "The Wounded" has a conversation between Keiko and Miles where she expressed surprise when Miles mentioned that his mother cooked real food instead of using a replicator. That always made me think that most people have a replicator in their house like microwave ovens today.
Old July 5 2013, 05:57 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Plus in Family, it's implied Picard's brother is among the rare few on Earth that didn't have a replicator, and even he was considering getting one.

On topic, one possible necessity of the Academy is to get cadets used to being away from home, which most of them will be for much of their careers in Starfleet.