IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 04:07 AM   #31
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - pilot "Awakening" missing scene

Here is the opening credit sequence for the movie version. I vaguely remember seeing this at a drive-in theater when I was just a little guy. For the life of me I'll never understand why Buck woke up in the first place.

Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:10 AM   #32
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Here is the opening credit sequence for the movie version. I vaguely remember seeing this at a drive-in theater when I was just a little guy. For the life of me I'll never understand why Buck woke up in the first place.
Been a while since I've seen it, but iirc he woke up because the Draconian's found him and were curious and thought they could use him as a way to get through Earth's defence shield.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:27 PM   #33
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
Was Buck a movie first then the tv pilot or was it like Galactica where they had the TV pilot and hacked it up into a movie?
Like the Galactica pilot, it was shot as a TV pilot, but was released theatrically as a movie before the series premiered.
And then several new scenes were shot for the TV broadcast, many of them intended to help set up the series after it got the "green light." A few bits of the theatrical version were also cut from the final broadcast version... also like the Galactica pilot.
Now you mention it, I remember seeing a tacked-on scene after the destruction of Draconia, when Dr Huer was asking Buck to help out the Earth Defense Directorate as an agent, with the advantage of not being in any database.
Old July 21 2013, 12:37 PM   #34
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Marc wrote: View Post
Been a while since I've seen it, but iirc he woke up because the Draconian's found him and were curious and thought they could use him as a way to get through Earth's defence shield.
Uh...I don't think that's what AJK meant.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 01:59 PM   #35
Zaku
Captain

I found this!

Buck Rogers 25th Century - Deleted Scene from movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMyaMGqhI_c
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 09:23 PM   #36
publiusr
Commodore

Marc wrote: View Post
I had the idea that Starfighters were rather flimsy in some respects--and thought the shuttle-type craft's tiles helped dissipate the Maurader's blast rather well. usually, a direct hit blows up a small craft.

There is a model of that craft as well

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Ranger%203%20Page.htm

The studio model was later modified for use as a shuttle on Searcher, but not before being used on Battlestar Galactica as a Terra craft.

Sadly, the idea below would not work without help:

http://spaceshuttletothemoon.blogspot.com/
Here is an interesting post about using the orbiter to go beyond Earth orbit (BEO)

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...84#post2135584
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:26 AM   #37
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Zaku wrote: View Post
I found this!

Buck Rogers 25th Century - Deleted Scene from movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMyaMGqhI_c
That's actually the end scene that was added to the recent DVD release. The OP is talking about something else.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 02:29 AM   #38
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Looks like Buck's thinking of opening an Italian restaurant there....
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:48 PM   #39
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post

I had the idea that Starfighters were rather flimsy in some respects--and thought the shuttle-type craft's tiles helped dissipate the Maurader's blast rather well. usually, a direct hit blows up a small craft.

There is a model of that craft as well

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Ranger%203%20Page.htm

The studio model was later modified for use as a shuttle on Searcher, but not before being used on Battlestar Galactica as a Terra craft.
So it was actually filmed as Ranger 3 before it was used in BSG?
GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:19 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, the Buck pilot was shot while BSG was still in production.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:04 PM   #41
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

Oh well, at least "Greetings from Earth" gave something back. Some of those establishing shots filmed at Expo '67 were edited into the broadcast version of "Awakening."
GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:28 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore

Here is some early art of what Buck's ships would looks like
http://space1970.blogspot.com/2012/0...tv-series.html

I seem to remember early art of the Palamino from the Black Hole that looked similar, in that the ship was longer--and didn't look like a water tower.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:56 PM   #43
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Watched awakening and Planet Of The Slave girls over the weekend and noticed that like the original BSG it suffered with relation to the special effects. At one point I was wondering if some shots have been reconstructed from Battlestar FX shots where they changed some elements (mainly the ships).

Or would it have been the same FX shop using the same techniques and shots for both shows.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:22 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

^BSG and BR were both from the same producers and the same studio, and they reused a lot of the same FX elements. So yeah, almost certainly the same FX house.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:46 AM   #45
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The first 7 hrs of GALACTICA were done by what was later known as Apogee, a splinter group of STAR WARS veterans headed up by John Dykstra.

After the pilot and the pair of 2 parters were done, Dykstra withdrew (I don't think Uni was holding up their end, he wasn't getting to direct and the number of shows was much larger than they originally told him) his company from the project (just as well, since I think GL was starting to get pissed that he had let his people & equipment do Galactica when he wound up having Fox sue them over similarities.)

The rest of GALACTICA was shot by the newly-formed Universal Hartland facility, which also did all of BUCK. A woman who died fairly young, Jena Holman, did some really great matte shots for BUCK (and later for THE RIGHT STUFF and THE DAY AFTER), and Hartland worked on other forgettable stuff like the first GET SMART movie, THE NUDE BOMB.

I think their last credit was the horrible to the point of being funny CONCORDE AIRPORT 79, which had some incredibly shoddy optical work (much less time to do the work than even TFF had, and it shows.) There's also a model Concorde landing in mid-film that looks like it was done with a kid's toy and shot from an adult's perspective, it is seriously godawful, but I think that may have been done by other folks, because that sequence isn't mentioned in the AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER coverage of the VFX.

If there are any folks who would like to know more, go to that STARLOG online resource and look up issue 27 (my alltime favorite issue of the mag by far, have bought it and rebought it often down through the years), which has a piece on Hartland, another on Magicam's involvement with TMP, and another on VFX for ALIEN.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote