Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 11 2013, 04:26 PM   #31
Pthalo BlueMoon
Commodore

Re: Why is Data so likeable?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Why is Abed so likable?

Data, for his lack of intuitive understanding of the human condition, had a clarity of purpose and perspective that emotional creatures lack. He is a flattering mirror, he makes us see a noble, uncomplicated version of ourselves.

To answer the question about morality, morality is logic applied to emotion.
I really like this answer. Very insightful.

Data enables us to see past the subjective reality that emotion can present, and helps us see the truth in the world around us through a dispassionate perspective.

You're right. Abed does the same thing. I never thought of that.
Pthalo BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:01 PM   #32
amickschl15
Cadet

View amickschl15's Twitter Profile

It's his human characteristics, but his lack of emotions. I believe that Data grows constantly throughout TNG, but what I find is that I like him because he is so much like us, but then, really not at all. He is a reflection of us, (although I'm not quite that pale) but he still is very different from us in numerous ways. I find his charater quite intriguing. He walks, talks, and looks like us, but he is an Android. I do, however, argue that although Data cannot comprehend emotions like you and I, he does learn. I sometimes find that you feel emotion from him, even though he insists that he has no feelings.
amickschl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:19 PM   #33
Pavonis
Commodore

Jefferies wrote: View Post
I think she and Data would have become best pals and they might indeed have worked out some kind of Spock-McCoy dynamic. After all Data might be charming and innocent but that doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.
Not possible. Data is just incapable of insulting people. The Spock-McCoy dynamic was based on equals who actually liked each other insulting each other regularly. Pulaski could insult Data, but playfully or not, Data could never return the favor.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:53 AM   #34
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I think she and Data would have become best pals and they might indeed have worked out some kind of Spock-McCoy dynamic. After all Data might be charming and innocent but that doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.
Not possible. Data is just incapable of insulting people. The Spock-McCoy dynamic was based on equals who actually liked each other insulting each other regularly. Pulaski could insult Data, but playfully or not, Data could never return the favor.
Data broke into Geordi with the lunkhead insult one episode.
Old July 15 2013, 02:40 PM   #35
Jefferies
Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I didn't mean they would be a carbon copy of Spock/McCoy but rather that they would have formed a dynamic in which they assertively bounce their points of view of each other. The whole insult game from McCoy would not have been possible on TNG anyway because most of the time it was nothing but racist bigotry.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 03:27 PM   #36
Pavonis
Commodore

If they didn't intend to create a McCoy-Spock dynamic between Pulaski and Data, they shouldn't have made Pulaski a McCoy-clone. She had almost no personality of her own; it was all taken from McCoy's personality.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I remember Brent Spiner in an interview saying that Gene Roddenberry's idea of Data was that he should have a "Christ-like naivety" and Spiner said to himself, skeptically "really? was Christ naive?" In an case he owned the character from the start. The two characters who developed in the most thoughtful ways in the panorama of Trek characters were both synthetic: Data and the Doc.
Old July 17 2013, 09:12 PM   #38
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

His childlike innocence and naïvety, combined with his massive strength and intelligence, make him kind of the type of person the human race would aspire to be in an idealistic, optimistic future, where you can afford to be innocent and naive because there's no greed or selfishness or people taking advantage of you.
This is exactly, word for word why he is my favorite character.

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Data doesn't have a cat.

Spot has an android.
Chuch Norris doesn't get wet;

water gets Chuck Norris!

*boo ching!*
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote