Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2013, 06:36 AM   #31
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The X-Files: for want of a modern cellphone...

I never said it was a problem. Just that it instantly dates the show.
Old July 8 2013, 02:14 PM   #32
Forbin
Admiral

I love watching 60s shows like Hawaii 5-0, Mannix, Mod Squad, etc. Shows I loved in my yoot.

There was always a point where there's an emergency and someone says "I've got to get to a phone!!" Used to be perfectly normal, now I do a double-take.

Then of course, once they get to the phone, they dial 0 and say "Hello Operator? Get me the police!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:32 PM   #33
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Shakaar wrote: View Post
Of course, looking at it the other way, a lot of modern shows would be impossible without cell phones. Could you imagine trying to do 24 without them?
WHERE'S THE NEAREST PAY PHONE?!
Old July 8 2013, 02:52 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

Modern tech would not preclude a show like The X-Files or Kolchak: The Night Stalker if well written, particularly given the films and shows that have been produced over the past few years featuring vampires and zombies and all sort of paranormal stuff.

If done badly then one could find all sorts of reasons why it sucks. If done well people would tune in.

Speaking for myself I see something of an evolution over the years. Way back we had Kolchak: The Night Stalker and then some years later we got the film Silence Of The Lambs. Next we get Chris Carter's The X-Files inspired by Kolchak but he makes the investigators FBI agents rather than a reporter and one of the investigators could have been inspired (consciously or not) by FBI agent Patrice Starling (Jodie Foster) in Silence Of The Lambs. From The X-Files we next get the Men In Black movies which spoof the subject matter. Now we've got all sorts of films and shows featuring vampires, zombies and other weird shit. Mind you this monster materiel has always been around in film but they seem to be everywhere presently.

So the trick now would be where to take it from here. They tried to reboot Kolchak, but from what I understand (I never got to see it) it wasn't very good.
Old July 8 2013, 02:53 PM   #35
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'm one of the few that think that modern technology ruined storytelling for a lot of formats, especially crime & cop shows.

I have lost count of all the crime shows I switched through that have that geeky know it all computer hacker character that just reads all the clues from his monitors while the "investigators" around him debate their soap opera problems.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:57 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I'm one of the few that think that modern technology ruined storytelling for a lot of formats, especially crime & cop shows.

I have lost count of all the crime shows I switched through that have that geeky know it all computer hacker character that just reads all the clues from his monitors while the "investigators" around him debate their soap opera problems.
I see that as poor writing. Yeah, you can find a lot of stuff online, but you have to be able to sift through it to learn whether what you've found is legit and worthwhile or whether it's just b.s. Real investigations are time consuming and plodding (something long glossed over in film and television since practically the beginning).

If real crimes could be solved so easily by surfing the net the cops would have a much better success rate.
Old July 8 2013, 06:07 PM   #37
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Warped9 wrote: View Post
So the trick now would be where to take it from here. They tried to reboot Kolchak, but from what I understand (I never got to see it) it wasn't very good.
I don't think it was very good at all. The original version had a Kolchak who was a loner on a search for the truth. He followed a story no matter where it went. There were times he knew it would never be published, but that didn't matter. Only the story mattered.

The remake has a Kolchak dealing with a personal loss, trying to find what killed his wife. He also had two sidekicks, one a doubter, who assisted him. It contained unnecessary changes, made to make the character more relatable.

The unkempt middle aged man was a better hero than the young grieving male model ever was.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:18 PM   #38
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472;8346748[I wrote:
]The X-Files [/I]is hardly unique in that respect. How many movies and TV shows from the pre-cellular age have plot points that depend on a character being able to get to a phone -- or not being able to get to a phone? All those stories would have to be written differently today.
"Hey Romeo baby, I got a sleeping potion and will only be playing dead! LOL, c u soon. xx J"
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:29 PM   #39
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

It's funny how when you watch shows now how you think "If they had a smart phone..." I think half of the episodes of "Seinfeld" could have solved or averted by someone having a present-day smart phone. Pretty much meaning the show couldn't work today since so many plots depend on the characters being out of contact or in need of information that is not readably available.

A modern-day smart phone and the vastness of the Internet as it is today certainly would have made Mulder's job/life/work a lot easier if not slightly more credible.
Old July 8 2013, 07:22 PM   #40
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I don't think it was very good at all. The original version had a Kolchak who was a loner on a search for the truth. He followed a story no matter where it went. There were times he knew it would never be published, but that didn't matter. Only the story mattered.

The remake has a Kolchak dealing with a personal loss, trying to find what killed his wife. He also had two sidekicks, one a doubter, who assisted him. It contained unnecessary changes, made to make the character more relatable.

The unkempt middle aged man was a better hero than the young grieving male model ever was.
I watched the half dozen episodes. The show had potential but it wasn't Kolchak. It was one of these remakes where it differed so much in style and character from the original that it should have just been a separate entity.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:51 PM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Where this becomes a problem is when a show set in the future becomes anachronistic because of new technology/science developments or even things like the discovery of the Titanic or a lack of WWIII in the late nineties.
Or like on TNG when the away team has to constantly describe to Picard what they're seeing, even though by that time you'd think they'd just be transmitting live video feeds directly to the ship.

Forbin wrote: View Post
I love watching 60s shows like Hawaii 5-0, Mannix, Mod Squad, etc. Shows I loved in my yoot.

There was always a point where there's an emergency and someone says "I've got to get to a phone!!" Used to be perfectly normal, now I do a double-take.

Then of course, once they get to the phone, they dial 0 and say "Hello Operator? Get me the police!"
Yeah watching the old 50s Superman TV series, it always cracks me up how it wasn't until the last minute when someone was finally able to get ahold of Clark by telephone, to tell him where the bad guys were hiding out, that he was able to spring into action and fly off to save Lois and Jimmy.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:53 PM   #42
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

As kid watching "Lassie" I was always confused on why Timmy's parents, to use the phone, had to pick it up and ask whomever was on the other end to make the connection. "Can't they just dial the number?!" I would ask. I wonder how much 80s/90s movies and TV will confuse younger generations on stuff like this on being ignorant on the technology and how it worked at the time.
Old July 8 2013, 10:17 PM   #43
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
As kid watching "Lassie" I was always confused on why Timmy's parents, to use the phone, had to pick it up and ask whomever was on the other end to make the connection. "Can't they just dial the number?!" I would ask. I wonder how much 80s/90s movies and TV will confuse younger generations on stuff like this on being ignorant on the technology and how it worked at the time.
It was even worse than that, there were Party Lines back then, which meant you had to share your phone line with someone. So, if you wanted to make a call, you had to first make sure the phone wasn't in use already. (And you could listen in on other people's conversations)

I Lived out in the desert in the early 1980s and they still had Party Lines out there.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 05:58 AM   #44
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I started watching the series again. I am up to the first half of season 3. It is a lot of fun watching the show after so long. Be sure to check out the new comic book series that started, Chris Carter is involved with the IDW series, X-files season 10.

-Chris
Old July 9 2013, 03:14 PM   #45
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It was even worse than that, there were Party Lines back then, which meant you had to share your phone line with someone. So, if you wanted to make a call, you had to first make sure the phone wasn't in use already. (And you could listen in on other people's conversations)

I Lived out in the desert in the early 1980s and they still had Party Lines out there.
Yeah, my mom grew up for a time in an area using party lines and she told me about it. Even stuff like that blew my mind that technology was once so "quaint."